|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Bolingbroke originally banished from England?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Ten years.
(d) Forty years.
2. Who is at Bristow Castle in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Abbot of Westminster.
(b) The Earl of Wiltshire.
(c) The Duke of Aumerle.
(d) Earl of Salisbury.
3. Who does Bolingbroke specifically promise to "weed and pluck away" in Act 2, Scene 3?
(c) Bushy and Bagot.
(d) All of the above.
4. What is Bolingbroke's title now that Gaunt is dead?
(a) Sir Henry of Wales.
(b) The Duke of Kent.
(c) Lord Aumerle.
(d) Lord Lancaster.
5. What was Mowbray supposed to be doing with Richard's uncle when he died?
(a) Accompany him while traveling.
(b) Practicing to duel.
(c) Guarding him.
(d) Showing him the courtyards.
6. What is the last line of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) "With letters of your love to her at large."
(b) "And plague injustice with the pains of hell."
(c) "Thanks, gentle uncle. Come, lords, away."
(d) "A while to work, and after holiday."
7. "My comfort is that heaven will take our souls and plague injustice with the pains of hell." Who says this?
8. Who of the following is not a character in Act 2, Scene 3?
(c) Sir Pierce of Exton.
9. What do the characters decide to do at the end of Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) They will kill themselves.
(b) They will wait.
(c) They will not stay.
(d) They will invade Ireland on their own.
10. What does Bolingbroke claim to be his intentions for invading England?
(a) To destroy Richard's monarchy.
(b) To rule England.
(c) To reclaim his inheritance.
(d) All of the above.
11. What does Northumberland then confide to Ross and Willoughby in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That he killed Gaunt.
(b) That he is secretly planning to assassinate Richard.
(c) That he is going to join Richard in his invasion of Ireland.
(d) That Bolingbroke is returning to England with an army.
12. How does York regard Bolingbroke's acting against the king?
13. Who are the first characters to enter Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Richard, the Queen.
(b) Gaunt, the Duchess of Gloucester.
(c) Lord Marshall, the Duke Aumerle.
(d) Gaunt, Bolingbroke.
14. Which is the final line of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) "The last leave of thee takes my weeping eye."
(b) "Desolate, desolate will I hence and die."
(c) "To God, the widow's champion and defence."
(d) "As much good stay with thee as go with me."
15. What is Richard's reaction towards the news of Gaunt he receives in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) He hopes to marry Gaunt's wife.
(b) He is devastated.
(c) He hopes Bolingbroke does not learn of the news, upsetting him in his exile.
(d) He hopes to seize Gaunt's property.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Bolingbroke and Mowbray forgive one another?
2. Who invites Bolingbroke to stay at Berkley Castle?
3. Which of the following characters is the only one to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Who is prisoner in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. How many gold coins does Bolingbroke accuse Mowbray of withholding from the army?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)