|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a quote by Richard in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) "We were not born to sue, but to command."
(b) "Mine honour is my life, both grow in one."
(c) "Obedience bids I should not bid again."
(d) "O God defend my soul from such deep sin!"
2. Of which quality of Bolingbroke does Richard worry?
(a) He is gracious to and loved by the common people.
(b) Bolingbroke is always able to persuade people to take his side.
(c) Bolingbroke is much stronger than Richard.
(d) His intelligence often outsmarted Richard in their youth.
3. How will Richard handle the situation in Ireland?
(a) He will see how the situation plays out for another month.
(b) He will send Green.
(c) He has ordered an army to invade.
(d) He will go there himself.
4. What does Northumberland then confide to Ross and Willoughby in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That Bolingbroke is returning to England with an army.
(b) That he is secretly planning to assassinate Richard.
(c) That he killed Gaunt.
(d) That he is going to join Richard in his invasion of Ireland.
5. Who is Bolingbroke's father?
(a) Earl of Northumberland.
(b) Lord Ross.
(c) Sir Henry Green.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richard's reaction towards the news of Gaunt he receives in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. How many gold coins does Bolingbroke accuse Mowbray of withholding from the army?
3. "Where then, alas, may I complain myself?" Who says this?
4. Where does Richard say he is to go immediately following Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What is the double metaphor spoken in the Duchess's first speech of the play?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)