|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the double metaphor spoken in the Duchess's first speech of the play?
(a) Doves flying; a harp playing angel.
(b) Vials of blood; branches from one root.
(c) A crying baby; nurses working corruptly.
(d) Rose petals; a dagger dripping blood.
2. How many characters speak in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does Northumberland then confide to Ross and Willoughby in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That Bolingbroke is returning to England with an army.
(b) That he is going to join Richard in his invasion of Ireland.
(c) That he killed Gaunt.
(d) That he is secretly planning to assassinate Richard.
4. Who are the first characters to enter Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Gaunt, the Duchess of Gloucester.
(b) Gaunt, Bolingbroke.
(c) Lord Marshall, the Duke Aumerle.
(d) Richard, the Queen.
5. What do Mowbray and Bolingbroke state officially that they are fighting for at the duel?
(a) Both claim the other killed the Duke of Gloucester.
(b) Both love the same woman.
(c) Mowbray claims adultery while Bolingbroke claims theft.
(d) Both claim the other is a traitor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Gaunt and Bolingbroke related?
2. Which is the final line of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Which of the following characters is the only one to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Who is Gaunt alluding to have killed the Duke of Gloucester as he speaks alone with the Duchess?
5. "What my tongue speaks my right drawn sword may prove." Who says this?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)