|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gaunt seem aloof to his brother's death?
(a) He has put the tragedy behind him, and is trying to move on with his life.
(b) He is the one who has killed the Duke.
(c) He believes God will properly judge who is guilty.
(d) He is in love with the Duchess.
2. What is the double metaphor spoken in the Duchess's first speech of the play?
(a) A crying baby; nurses working corruptly.
(b) Rose petals; a dagger dripping blood.
(c) Doves flying; a harp playing angel.
(d) Vials of blood; branches from one root.
3. What is Bolingbroke's banishment reduced to?
(a) Six years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Ten years.
4. How long is Mowbray banished from England?
(a) Ten years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Forty years.
5. Where is the setting of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) An orchard.
(b) Gaunt's house.
(c) A chapel.
(d) Windsor Castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gaunt try to persuade Bolingbroke to think of his banishment?
2. "Though banish'd, yet a true born Englishman." Who says this quote?
3. Which character officially swears in Mowbray and Bolingbroke at the duel?
4. Which of the following is a quote by Richard in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. Who does the Duchess wish ill upon at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)