|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the final line of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) "The last leave of thee takes my weeping eye."
(b) "To God, the widow's champion and defence."
(c) "Desolate, desolate will I hence and die."
(d) "As much good stay with thee as go with me."
2. What is the double metaphor spoken in the Duchess's first speech of the play?
(a) Rose petals; a dagger dripping blood.
(b) Vials of blood; branches from one root.
(c) A crying baby; nurses working corruptly.
(d) Doves flying; a harp playing angel.
3. Why don't Bolingbroke and Mowbray forgive one another?
(a) Both have not shared everything they are upset over.
(b) They have both sworn to God they would seek vengeance.
(c) They have had a rivalry since childhood.
(d) It would be forfeiting their honor.
4. How does Gaunt try to persuade Bolingbroke to think of his banishment?
(a) As a time to find a wife.
(b) As his civic duty.
(c) As a time to grow as a man.
(d) As a pleasurable journey.
5. Who is Woodstock?
(c) The Duke of Gloucester.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Richard confused about Gaunt's reaction towards Bolingbroke's sentence?
2. What do Bolingbroke and Mowbray accuse one another of?
3. How many gold coins does Bolingbroke accuse Mowbray of withholding from the army?
4. Which character officially swears in Mowbray and Bolingbroke at the duel?
5. How long is Bolingbroke originally banished from England?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)