|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many gold coins does Bolingbroke accuse Mowbray of withholding from the army?
2. What do Mowbray and Bolingbroke state officially that they are fighting for at the duel?
(a) Mowbray claims adultery while Bolingbroke claims theft.
(b) Both claim the other is a traitor.
(c) Both love the same woman.
(d) Both claim the other killed the Duke of Gloucester.
3. What is the Duchess of Gloucester's purpose in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She confesses that she did not love the Duke.
(b) She begs Gaunt to act humanely.
(c) She begs Gaunt to avenge her husband's death.
(d) She worries aloud about money.
4. Where was the setting for Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Alexandra Palace.
(b) Buckingham Palace.
(c) Windsor Castle.
5. Who was Richard's uncle and Gaunt's brother?
(a) The Duke of Lancaster.
(b) The Duke of Kent.
(c) Lord Edmonton of Bath.
(d) The Duke of Gloucester.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Bolingbroke and Mowbray forgive one another?
2. Who is Gaunt alluding to have killed the Duke of Gloucester as he speaks alone with the Duchess?
3. Which character officially swears in Mowbray and Bolingbroke at the duel?
4. Why is Richard confused about Gaunt's reaction towards Bolingbroke's sentence?
5. What is the double metaphor spoken in the Duchess's first speech of the play?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)