|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mowbray supposed to be doing with Richard's uncle when he died?
(a) Showing him the courtyards.
(b) Practicing to duel.
(c) Guarding him.
(d) Accompany him while traveling.
2. "...for God's substitute, His deputy anointed in His sight..." Who is being referred to here?
(a) The king.
(b) The judge.
(c) The shaman.
(d) The pope.
3. How many characters speak in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What is the double metaphor spoken in the Duchess's first speech of the play?
(a) Rose petals; a dagger dripping blood.
(b) A crying baby; nurses working corruptly.
(c) Doves flying; a harp playing angel.
(d) Vials of blood; branches from one root.
5. Who is Gaunt alluding to have killed the Duke of Gloucester as he speaks alone with the Duchess?
(a) The Duke of Aumerle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the first characters to enter Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Why is Richard confused about Gaunt's reaction towards Bolingbroke's sentence?
3. Who is Woodstock?
4. Why does Gaunt seem aloof to his brother's death?
5. Who was Richard's uncle and Gaunt's brother?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)