|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "December 30" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster cites what time in the morning?
2. "Widow's Lament" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster says that it is not quite cold enough to ask the neighbors for what?
3. What year is cited in "Alas, Measured Perfectly" from The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
4. What does Ophelia float like in "The Rape of Ophelia" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
5. Brautigan writes of a street lined with trees with intestines like what in "Death is a Beautiful Car Parked Only" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Brautigan's use of nonsensical, surreal imagery in the poem "Yes, the Fish Music." What is the purpose of the imagery?
2. What theme permeates the poem "I Feel Horrible. She Doesn't"? What symbolism supports this theme?
3. Describe the simplicity of the poem "November 3." What is Brautigan's subject in this poem?
4. Describe the subject of the poem "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace." What does Brautigan hope for in this poem?
5. What imagery is used in the poem, "The Winos on Potrero Hill"?
6. In which poem does Brautigan refer to the Hindenberg Disaster? How?
7. In what poem from The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster does Brautigan cite "Casablanca"? How?
8. Where does Brautigan's humor arise in the poem "Haiku Ambulance"? How?
9. What is referred to in the poem "1942" from The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster?
10. What imagery does Brautigan produce in the poem "December 30"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Brautigan's narrative voice and tense in In Watermelon Sugar. How is this similar or different than Trout Fishing in America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the critical response to Brautigan's work. How were each of these three books received by critics? What literary circles was Brautigan associated with?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different ways that the phrase "Trout Fishing in America" is used in the novel. What is metaphorical about Brautigan's use of the phrase?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)