|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair is referred to throughout "Horse Child Breakfast" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
2. Which poem in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster reads "Every time I see him, I think:/ Gee, am I glad he's not/ my old man"?
3. Brautigan writes to "burn all the ___ to your body" in "The Double-Bed Dream Gallows" from The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster.
4. Where are the stars described in "Poker Star" from The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
5. Brautigan writes in "Discovery" of The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster, "The petals of the vagina unfold like _________ taking off his shoes."
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the simplicity of the poem "November 3." What is Brautigan's subject in this poem?
2. What imagery does Brautigan produce in the poem "December 30"?
3. What qualities are outstanding in the poems of Brautigan in terms of imagery?
4. Describe Brautigan's use of nonsensical, surreal imagery in the poem "Yes, the Fish Music." What is the purpose of the imagery?
5. What similes or metaphors are used in the poem "I've Never Had It Done So Gently Before"?
6. How does Brautigan's poetry in The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster differ from his prose in In Watermelon Sugar?
7. Discuss the tone of the poem "The Return of the Rivers." What does Brautigan describe here?
8. Describe the subject of the poem "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace." What does Brautigan hope for in this poem?
9. What is the poem "Star-Spangled' Nails" about?
10. What theme permeates the poem "I Feel Horrible. She Doesn't"? What symbolism supports this theme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the tone and theme of In Watermelon Sugar and Trout Fishing in America. How are they similar? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Richard Brautigan's use of imagery in the novel Trout Fishing in America. What notable similes and metaphors does the author implement? Define these terms in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the three principle settings of Trout Fishing in America. How are the settings tied to the novel's themes?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)