|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the women holding in "Alas, Measured Perfectly" from The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
2. Where does Brautigan write he found the poem "San Francisco" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
3. How are Ophelia's clothes spread in "The Rape of Ophelia" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
4. What does Great Sparrow pull between the children in "Education" from The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
5. The poem, "All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace" from The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster, talks of deer walking past what?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what is Brautigan referring in the poem, "The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster"?
2. What is referred to in the poem "1942" from The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster?
3. What theme permeates the poem "I Feel Horrible. She Doesn't"? What symbolism supports this theme?
4. What imagery does Brautigan produce in the poem "December 30"?
5. Where does Brautigan's humor arise in the poem "Haiku Ambulance"? How?
6. What similes or metaphors are used in the poem "I've Never Had It Done So Gently Before"?
7. Describe the subject of the poem "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace." What does Brautigan hope for in this poem?
8. What qualities are outstanding in the poems of Brautigan in terms of imagery?
9. What description does Brautigan illustrate in the poem "Poker Star"?
10. What imagery is used in the poem, "The Winos on Potrero Hill"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss the structure of Trout Fishing in America. Define each of the following and identify them from the text: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action.
Essay Topic 2
What literary author is cited in "To England"? What is the subject and theme of this poem?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Pauline and Margaret in In Watermelon Sugar. How do their relationships to the narrator differ?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)