|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Death is a Beautiful Car Parked Only" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster is dedicated to whom?
2. "December 30" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster cites what time in the morning?
3. What was the poem "San Francisco" written on in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
(a) A bathroom stall.
(b) A wall.
(c) A paper bag.
(d) A paper plate.
4. What are the three poker players in "Poker Star" from The Pill Versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
5. What do the Chinese smoke in "A Postcard from Chinatown" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
Short Answer Questions
1. Brautigan writes "The sweet juices of your mouth are like ____ bathed in honey" in "I've Never Had It Done So Gently Before" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
2. Where does Brautigan write of going to bed in "The Beautiful Poem" of The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
3. What is the lion standing in the edges of in "A Candlelion Poem" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster?
4. "I Lie Here in a Strange Girl's Apartment" from The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster says that the woman is afflicted with what?
5. To whom is "Map Shower" in The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster dedicated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imagery does Brautigan produce in the poem "December 30"?
2. What description does Brautigan illustrate in the poem "Poker Star"?
3. Discuss the tone of the poem "The Return of the Rivers." What does Brautigan describe here?
4. What imagery is used in the poem, "The Winos on Potrero Hill"?
5. What theme permeates the poem "I Feel Horrible. She Doesn't"? What symbolism supports this theme?
6. In which poem does Brautigan refer to the Hindenberg Disaster? How?
7. In what poems from The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster does Brautigan reflect personal thoughts?
8. What is the emotional state of Brautigan in the poem "Boo, Forever"?
9. What qualities are outstanding in the poems of Brautigan in terms of imagery?
10. How does Brautigan's poetry in The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster differ from his prose in In Watermelon Sugar?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)