|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season begins Chapter 10, "A Waldon Pond for Winos" of Trout Fishing in America?
2. In Trout Fishing in America's Chapter 13, "Sea, Sea Rider," the bookstore owner spins a tale, telling the narrator he fell in love with a woman during the what?
(a) American Civil War.
(b) French and Indian War.
(c) Spanish Civil War.
(d) American Revolution.
3. In Chapter 36, "Sandbox Minus John Dillinger Equals What?" of Trout Fishing in America, who does Brautigan recall setting up John Dillinger?
(a) The woman in red.
(b) The woman in blue.
(c) The woman in white.
(d) The woman in black.
4. What is the woman wearing in the cover photograph of the book Trout Fishing in America?
(a) A sombrero.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A fishing hat.
(d) A bandana.
5. Where does Brautigan's fishing pal catch a trout and kill it with port in Trout Fishing in America?
(a) Owl Snuff Creek.
(b) Casper Creek.
(c) Tom Anderson Creek.
(d) Millville Creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 46 "The Mayonnaise Chapter" in Trout Fishing in America discusses the death of whom?
2. Where does Brautigan find a cabin in Trout Fishing in America's Chapter 27, "The Teddy Roosevelt Chingader"?
3. In Chapter 7, "Prologue to Grider Creek" of Trout Fishing in America, a man buys a house whose basement is filled with what?
4. In 1956, who spoke under the tall cypress tree described in Chapter 1, "The Cover for Trout Fishing in America"?
5. In Trout Fishing in America's Chapter 17, "The Message," Brautigan comes upon a herd of sheep driven by a man who resembles whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator reveal of his childhood and the tigers in In Watermelon Sugar?
2. In Chapter 13, "Sea, Sea Rider," of Trout Fishing in America, Brautigan stops by a bookstore one afternoon in 1959 and is seduced by a couple. What does the bookstore owner then say?
3. How does the exposition of the tigers speaking come about in In Watermelon Sugar?
4. In which poem does Brautigan refer to the Hindenberg Disaster? How?
5. What imagery is used in the poem, "The Winos on Potrero Hill"?
6. Who does Brautigan encounter in Chapter 17, "The Message"? What simile does he use to describe this person?
7. In what poems from The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster does Brautigan reflect personal thoughts?
8. Where does Brautigan's humor arise in the poem "Haiku Ambulance"? How?
9. What imagery does Brautigan produce in the poem "December 30"?
10. What is referred to in the poem "1942" from The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)