|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far downriver must Brautigan travel to get home in Chapter 4, "Red Lip" in Trout Fishing in America?
(a) 2 miles.
(b) 35 miles.
(c) 20 miles.
(d) 10 miles.
2. The notorious criminal, in Trout Fishing in America's Chapter 22, "The Mayor of the 20th Century," is compared to who?
(a) Jesse James.
(b) Bad Boy Nelson.
(c) Ted Kawinski.
(d) Jack the Ripper.
3. In Trout Fishing in America's Chapter 17, "The Message," Brautigan comes upon a herd of sheep driven by a man who resembles whom?
(b) Adolph Hitler.
4. Brautigan writes in Chapter 8, "Grider Creek" of Trout Fishing in America that the large creeks were running muddy from the snow melting off what mountains?
(a) Marble Mountains.
(b) Golden Mountains.
(c) Boonville Mountains.
(d) Silver Mountains.
5. In Trout Fishing in America's Chapter 13, "Sea, Sea Rider," the bookstore owner spins a tale, telling the narrator he fell in love with a woman during the what?
(a) American Civil War.
(b) French and Indian War.
(c) American Revolution.
(d) Spanish Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. The third recipe listed, by Brautigan in Chapter 6, "Another Way of Making Walnut Catsup" of Trout Fishing in America, is for "A Spoonful _____."
2. Where does Brautigan say he is staying in Chapter 4, "Red Lip" of Trout Fishing in America?
3. What does Brautigan associate trout with in Trout Fishing in America?
4. What has been placed along the creek to kill coyotes in Trout Fishing in America's Chapter 25, "The Salt Creek Coyotes"?
5. In Chapter 7, "Prologue to Grider Creek" of Trout Fishing in America, a man buys a house whose basement is filled with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the subject of the poem "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace." What does Brautigan hope for in this poem?
2. Who is Trout Fishing in America Shorty? Describe this character.
3. What similes and metaphors are used in the poem "Sonnet" from The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster?
4. What similes or metaphors are used in the poem "I've Never Had It Done So Gently Before"?
5. What takes place in the narrator's encounter with Fred in Chapter 63, "Apple Pie" of In Watermelon Sugar?
6. Who is described in In Chapter 7, "Prologue to Grider Creek" in Trout Fishing in America?
7. Where is the narrator going when he encounters the schoolteacher in In Watermelon Sugar?
8. What description does Brautigan illustrate in the poem "Poker Star"?
9. What is the emotional state of Brautigan in the poem "Boo, Forever"?
10. When are the vegetable statues discovered in In Watermelon Sugar? Who finds them?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)