|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what board does Rudolph serve?
2. What does the man in #123 help Thomas to do?
3. What does Thomas request of Rudolph?
4. What secret does Jane reveal to Rudolph on their honeymoon?
5. What does Thomas receive from his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the sad irony of Mary's life right now?
2. Describe Thomas' reconnection with his mother after so many years apart.
3. How does Rudolph' help for Professor Denton come full circle from many years ago?
4. What important help is Rudolph able to give Thomas in Part 4, Chapter 4?
5. How does the author fill in plot and character development between chapters?
6. Explain how Thomas' original return of the $5000 has resulted in a positive way for him after all.
7. How does Jean's depression escalate into alcoholism and what are the first signs of the disease?
8. How has Rudolph reached the pinnacle of success in every aspect of his life?
9. What is the reason Thomas must run away and get a job on a ship?
10. How did Thomas ruin his boxing career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Gretchen Jordache. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Gretchen?
Essay Topic 2
What is Teddy Boylan's role in the story? What is his background? Why is he interested in Gretchen? What is his relationship with Rudolph? Is he the quintessential "rich man?"
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? Who do you think Shaw had in mind for the rich man? Who did he consider to be the poor man? Remember that financial status is not the only measure of a man's worth.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)