|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what board does Rudolph serve?
2. Where are Rudolph and Jean living in Part 4, Chapter 2?
3. Where do Rudolph and Jean go on their honeymoon?
4. What is the name of Gretchen's new husband?
5. Where does Rudolph take Billy to stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thomas reconnect with his son?
2. Explain how Thomas' selflessness in protecting Jean shows him to be the most fully evolved character in the book.
3. How does Thomas' protection of his friend, Dwyer, in a fight ultimately have profound negative impact on Thomas' life?
4. What happens with Gretchen and the young black man that makes Gretchen change her mind about continuing her studies?
5. What is the sad irony of Mary's life right now?
6. What seems to be the next step in Rudolph's career?
7. What important help is Rudolph able to give Thomas in Part 4, Chapter 4?
8. What do the boat charters represent as positive changes in Thomas' life?
9. Explain how Thomas' original return of the $5000 has resulted in a positive way for him after all.
10. Describe Thomas' reconnection with his mother after so many years apart.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Gretchen Jordache. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Gretchen?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Thomas Jordache. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Thomas?
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)