|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Mary's last words?
2. What political office does Rudolph now hold?
3. Who is the only person who remembers Gretchen's birthday?
4. What does Mr. Calderwood accuse Rudolph of?
5. Gretchen feels that ____________ is taking over her life.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Thomas' reconnection with his mother after so many years apart.
2. How does Jean's depression escalate into alcoholism and what are the first signs of the disease?
3. What does Gretchen ask Rudolph to do in order to help her son in spite of the fact that she and Rudolph have had a strained relationship for a year?
4. How does the author fill in plot and character development between chapters?
5. How does Jean indirectly ruin Rudolph's career as mayor?
6. What is the reason Thomas must run away and get a job on a ship?
7. What seems to be the next step in Rudolph's career?
8. What are the significant changes visible in Mary now?
9. Explain the symbolism of Rudolph's meeting his high school French teacher.
10. How did Thomas ruin his boxing career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of good vs. evil in the novel. Who/what represents good? Who/what represents evil? How do they co-exist or do they? What is the final confrontation?
Essay Topic 3
The search for love is an important theme in RICH MAN, POOR MAN. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)