|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gretchen spend some of her afternoons?
2. To what city is Thomas sent to stay with relatives?
3. What is Thomas accused of at the club?
4. Who blackmails Clothilde when he finds out she has been having an affair with Thomas?
5. Why is Thomas sent out of town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary's reaction when she learns that Axel gave up $5,000 to save Thomas?
2. Explain how Thomas is Axel's least favorite child but Thomas is most like Axel.
3. What are the two major sources of Rudolph's depression and frustration?
4. What are the underlying feelings of the members of the Jordache family at dinner?
5. How does Rudolph capitalize on his relationship with Teddy Boylan?
6. Who does Thomas fight at the gym and why is he so violent?
7. What is the state of Mary's physical and mental health?
8. How are Rudolph, Gretchen and Thomas introduced in the story?
9. What is the nature of Thomas' affair with Clothilde?
10. What is the significance of the Communist charges brought against Professor Denton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of four of the characters. Remember to exclude Thomas but you may choose from Rudolph, Gretchen, Jean, Kate, Dwyer, Wesley and Billy.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the author's use of point of view in this story. Identify the point of view used and explain why this book qualifies. How would the book have changed if the author had selected a different point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Thomas Jordache. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Thomas?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)