|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Gretchen share with Willie?
2. What does Rudolph do in French class?
3. What is Thomas' job in Part 2, Chapter 3?
4. Where does Teddy take Gretchen in New York City?
5. Who is Rudolph's French teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the foreshadowing of Axel's being in a boat.
2. What is the state of Mary's physical and mental health?
3. What are the reasons that Axel is depressed which ultimately lead to his death?
4. Explain the foreshadowing related to Thomas' discovery of Gretchen's affair.
5. How are Rudolph, Gretchen and Thomas introduced in the story?
6. What is the significance of the Communist charges brought against Professor Denton?
7. How has Teddy Boylan helped Rudolph with his career and at what point does Rudolph call an end to the relationship?
8. In what way is Gretchen showing some emotional growth?
9. What happens to Thomas as a result of his beating Mr. Greening?
10. What does Thomas do to Teddy Boylan as revenge for Teddy's seducing Gretchen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The search for love is an important theme in RICH MAN, POOR MAN. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)