|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens soon after Thomas beats up Mr. Greening?
2. Where had Rudolph worked part time during his years at school?
3. How does Rudolph get clued off that Thomas is living in New York?
4. What advice does Axel give Rudolph?
5. What is Alex Jordache's home country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the reasons that Axel is depressed which ultimately lead to his death?
2. What is Mary's reaction when she learns that Axel gave up $5,000 to save Thomas?
3. How does Thomas show emotional growth and maturity?
4. What are the two major sources of Rudolph's depression and frustration?
5. What is the nature of Thomas' affair with Clothilde?
6. How is Thomas able to repay the $5,000 his father paid for his release several years earlier?
7. How is Gretchen's life going in New York?
8. What happens to Thomas as a result of his beating Mr. Greening?
9. Who does Thomas fight at the gym and why is he so violent?
10. Explain why Thomas is so happy living in Ohio.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of irony in the book. One example is the boat-related deaths of Axel and Thomas. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? Who do you think Shaw had in mind for the rich man? Who did he consider to be the poor man? Remember that financial status is not the only measure of a man's worth.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Thomas Jordache. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Thomas?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)