|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the special day in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. What is the name of Tommy's wife?
3. What does Gretchen realize when she gets home?
4. What does Rudolph wake up from a nap to hear?
5. What did the black soldiers offer Gretchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Gretchen's meeting with Teddy Boylan so prophetic for her brother's lives as well as her own?
2. What are the two major sources of Rudolph's depression and frustration?
3. What happens to the $5000 Thomas gives back to Rudolph?
4. What behavior does Gretchen seem unable to shake?
5. What happens to Thomas as a result of his beating Mr. Greening?
6. What are the reasons that Axel is depressed which ultimately lead to his death?
7. Who does Thomas fight at the gym and why is he so violent?
8. How does Rudolph capitalize on his relationship with Teddy Boylan?
9. What is the irony of the money Thomas receives and then wants to pay back to his father?
10. How is Rudolph's career taking off at Calderwood's company/
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Rudolph's role as protagonist evolves as the plot extends. How does Rudolph change from the hard-working boy in a bakery to a manipulative businessman and politician? What are Rudolph's motivators? Is Rudolph the typical protagonist hero?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rudolph Jordache. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Rudolph?
Essay Topic 3
The story begins in America during World War II. Explain the significance of this war on America in general and the Jordache family specifically. What impact did the war have on the choices that the Jordaches made? Explain.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)