|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the soldier that Gretchen meets and likes right away?
2. How does Gretchen spend some of her afternoons?
3. Where does Thomas have a job?
4. Who calls to ask Rudolph to meet him for lunch?
5. Who works in the bakery while Axel is in Ohio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thomas do to Teddy Boylan as revenge for Teddy's seducing Gretchen?
2. How are Rudolph, Gretchen and Thomas introduced in the story?
3. Explain the complications of Axel's decision to pay off the father of the girls who have accused Thomas of statutory rape.
4. What happens to the $5000 Thomas gives back to Rudolph?
5. How does Rudolph capitalize on his relationship with Teddy Boylan?
6. How is Gretchen's life going in New York?
7. What important realization does Rudolph come to while temporarily working in the family bakery?
8. Explain the foreshadowing related to Thomas' discovery of Gretchen's affair.
9. What is the foundation of the relationship between Teddy Boylan and Rudolph?
10. In what way is Gretchen showing some emotional growth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of irony in the book. One example is the boat-related deaths of Axel and Thomas. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the novel. Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Shaw choose to use these places in the text?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)