|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Gretchen's new husband?
2. Who has Rudolph married?
3. Who is the woman who joins the crew of Thomas' boat?
4. Why is Thomas unable to find out whether the mob is still after him?
(a) He can't get cell reception
(b) Pappy is dead
(c) The e-mails keep bouncing back
(d) The letters are lost
5. What does Thomas remind Gretchen not to do?
(a) Move back to New York
(b) Have any more children
(c) Go back to Willie
(d) Tell Rudolph where he is
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city will Billy be going to boarding school?
2. With whom is Thomas having an affair?
3. What does Thomas request that Rudolph find for him?
4. What does Gretchen ask Rudolph to do for Billy?
5. Where does Thomas take his son to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important help is Rudolph able to give Thomas in Part 4, Chapter 4?
2. What are the two most important factors in Virginia Calderwood's overt flirtations with Rudolph?
3. What is the sad irony of Mary's life right now?
4. What does Gretchen ask Rudolph to do in order to help her son in spite of the fact that she and Rudolph have had a strained relationship for a year?
5. What is the reason Thomas must run away and get a job on a ship?
6. What happens with Gretchen and the young black man that makes Gretchen change her mind about continuing her studies?
7. Explain how Thomas' selflessness in protecting Jean shows him to be the most fully evolved character in the book.
8. How does Jean indirectly ruin Rudolph's career as mayor?
9. How does Thomas' protection of his friend, Dwyer, in a fight ultimately have profound negative impact on Thomas' life?
10. How does Thomas reconnect with his son?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)