|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Thomas intent on making a living at sea?
(a) He has always loved the water
(b) He is hiding from the mob
(c) He wants to become a shipping magnate
(d) He wants to build ships
2. Where is Gretchen living with her son in Part 3, Chapter 1?
(c) Los Angeles
(d) New York
3. What is Gretchen anxious to do?
(a) Find another husband
(b) Get her degree
(c) Move out of her house
(d) Visit Billy
4. Where does Thomas plan to go with Dwyer?
5. What day is it in Part 4, Chapter 5?
(a) Christmas Day
(b) First day of summer
(c) Gretchen's 40th birthday
(d) New Year's Day
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Thomas having an affair?
2. What were Mary's last words?
3. What is notable about the picture of Jean hanging from the college administration building?
4. Where does Thomas take his son to live?
5. Colin did not have ________________ before he died.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Gretchen's concerns for Billy at this point in time?
2. What is the nature of Gretchen's struggles in Part 3, Chapter 4?
3. What is the significance of Dwyer in Thomas' life?
4. Explain the symbolism of Rudolph's meeting his high school French teacher.
5. What are Gretchen's legal battles related to the death of her husband?
6. How does the author fill in plot and character development between chapters?
7. What are the two main reasons Thomas' reconnection with his mother is so important?
8. How does Thomas reconnect with his son?
9. How did Thomas ruin his boxing career?
10. What is ironic about Thomas' love for the sea?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)