|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Rudolph pay Thomas' old manager for information?
2. Where is Gretchen living with her son in Part 3, Chapter 1?
(b) Los Angeles
(d) New York
3. In what city will Billy be going to boarding school?
(d) New York
4. Where are Rudolph and Jean living in Part 4, Chapter 2?
5. Who is the woman who joins the crew of Thomas' boat?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Thomas' son at this point?
2. With whom is Thomas having an affair?
3. To what city is Rudolph headed in Part 4, Chapter 6?
4. Which of the following does Thomas not avoid on the ship?
5. Who is the only person who remembers Gretchen's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two main reasons Thomas' reconnection with his mother is so important?
2. What is ironic about Thomas' love for the sea?
3. What are Gretchen's legal battles related to the death of her husband?
4. Explain why dropping Billy off at boarding school is such a cathartic point for Gretchen and Willie's broken relationship.
5. How has Rudolph reached the pinnacle of success in every aspect of his life?
6. Explain how Thomas' selflessness in protecting Jean shows him to be the most fully evolved character in the book.
7. How does Thomas' protection of his friend, Dwyer, in a fight ultimately have profound negative impact on Thomas' life?
8. What is the symbolism of the name Thomas chooses for his boat?
9. What are Gretchen's concerns for Billy at this point in time?
10. How does the author fill in plot and character development between chapters?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)