|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bad news has Gretchen received?
(a) Her boyfriend broke up with her
(b) She has lost her job
(c) Her car was wrecked by a friend
(d) She can't go to New York
2. What graduation gift does Teddy Boylan offer Rudolph?
(a) A new wardrobe
(b) A new house
(c) A new car
(d) A trip to Europe
3. What does Rudolph do in French class?
(a) Draws a nude picture of his teacher
(b) Conjugates verbs
(c) Sends text messages
(d) Checks his e-mail
4. Where does Thomas go when he makes a quick trip to New York?
(a) His old neighborhood
(b) Central Park
(c) Ellis Island
(d) The Plaza
5. What has Rudolph done that Mr. Calderwood is not very pleased about?
(a) Put up Christmas decorations
(b) Created a proposal to open a strip mall
(c) Gave employee raises
(d) Changed the store hours
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rudolph discover that Gretchen is living with when he goes to New York?
2. Where does Gretchen want to move?
3. Who is the soldier that Gretchen meets and likes right away?
4. Where does Axel tell Rudolph that Rudolph does not belong?
5. Who is Rudolph secretly in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two major sources of Rudolph's depression and frustration?
2. Explain the foreshadowing related to Thomas' discovery of Gretchen's affair.
3. What important realization does Rudolph come to while temporarily working in the family bakery?
4. What happens to the $5000 Thomas gives back to Rudolph?
5. How has Teddy Boylan helped Rudolph with his career and at what point does Rudolph call an end to the relationship?
6. Explain why Thomas is so happy living in Ohio.
7. What is Mary's reaction when she learns that Axel gave up $5,000 to save Thomas?
8. What is the foundation of the relationship between Teddy Boylan and Rudolph?
9. How are Rudolph, Gretchen and Thomas introduced in the story?
10. How is Gretchen's life going in New York?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)