|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gretchen afraid that Willie will take with him?
(b) The car
(c) Her jewelry
(d) All their money
2. Why does Professor Denton need Rudolph's help?
(a) He is leaving his wife
(b) He is losing his eyesight
(c) He is being accused of being a Communist
(d) He has lost his job
3. Who is the boxer who teaches Thomas to box?
4. What is Alex Jordache's home country?
5. How does Gretchen spend some of her afternoons?
(a) Volunteering at the hospital
(b) Working at a flower shop
(d) With her lover
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rudolph discover that Gretchen is living with when he goes to New York?
2. What is the name of the corporation that Rudolph forms?
3. What is the source of Rudolph's depression?
4. Where does Thomas have a job?
5. What is the nature of the Jordache family business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the foundation of the relationship between Teddy Boylan and Rudolph?
2. Explain how Thomas is Axel's least favorite child but Thomas is most like Axel.
3. How are Rudolph, Gretchen and Thomas introduced in the story?
4. In what way is Gretchen showing some emotional growth?
5. What is Mary's reaction when she learns that Axel gave up $5,000 to save Thomas?
6. Explain the foreshadowing related to Thomas' discovery of Gretchen's affair.
7. Explain the foreshadowing of Axel's being in a boat.
8. How does Thomas show emotional growth and maturity?
9. How is Gretchen's life going in New York?
10. What is the irony of the money Thomas receives and then wants to pay back to his father?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)