|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Jordache family celebrating in Part 1, Chapter 6?
(a) The end of the war
(b) The birth of a new baby
(c) Rudolph's birthday
(d) Axel and Mary's 25th wedding anniversary
2. With whom does Rudolph have dinner after fishing one day?
(d) Teddy Boylan
3. Which of the following does Rudolph not pay at the bakery?
(a) Car insurance
(d) Manager's salary
4. What is the source of Rudolph's depression?
(a) Thomas is in jail
(b) Julie broke up with him
(c) The family is too poor to send him to college
(d) Mary has moved out of the house
5. What does Mary ask Rudolph before he leaves for work?
(a) If he knows where Thomas is
(b) If he has paid the electric bill
(c) If he will drive her to the grocery
(d) If he can take her to the doctor
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary want from Axel in order to return to his bed?
2. What instrument does Rudolph play in the high school band?
3. Who picks Gretchen up on the roadside?
4. Who calls to ask Rudolph to meet him for lunch?
5. Who does Rudolph go to some clubs with in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Gretchen showing some emotional growth?
2. What happens to Thomas as a result of his beating Mr. Greening?
3. What is the significance of the Communist charges brought against Professor Denton?
4. Explain why Thomas is so happy living in Ohio.
5. Explain how Thomas is Axel's least favorite child but Thomas is most like Axel.
6. How is Gretchen's meeting with Teddy Boylan so prophetic for her brother's lives as well as her own?
7. Explain the complications of Axel's decision to pay off the father of the girls who have accused Thomas of statutory rape.
8. What important realization does Rudolph come to while temporarily working in the family bakery?
9. What is the irony of the money Thomas receives and then wants to pay back to his father?
10. Who does Thomas fight at the gym and why is he so violent?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)