Part 1, Chapter 1 | Part 1, Chapter 2
• The Jordache family consists of Axel, the father, Mary, the mother, and their children, Gretchen, Rudolph and Thomas.
• The story opens in 1945 during a typical evening after the close of their bakery business for the day.
• Rudolph is in love with his French teacher and writes secret letters to her that he'll never send.
• Thomas and his friend, Claude, verbally bait a soldier at a movie theater and Thomas eventually engages in a fight with the man.
• Gretchen reflects on an indecent proposal she received from a black soldier at the VA hospital where she works.
• Mary is disillusioned with her life as the wife of a baker.
• The only bright spot in Mary's life is her golden son, Rudolph.
• Gretchen plans to go ahead with the proposal of entertaining the black soldier and his friends for the amount of $800.
• Gretchen is picked up...
This section contains 2,656 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)