|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of news does Father-Jacques tell Jacques he has for him in The Future is in the Eggs?
2. What does Jacqueline put on Grandmother-Jacques's head when Grandfather-Jacques's painting is the focus in The Future is in the Eggs?
3. To whom does the leader give the hedgehog in The Leader?
4. What does Jacqueline remark that Roberta already looks as she leaves the room in The Future is in the Eggs?
5. What does the Announcer say that the leader swore in The Leader?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the montage at the opening of The Future is in the Eggs?
2. What do the Young Lovers represent in The Leader?
3. What is Ionesco's principle theme in The Future is in the Eggs?
4. Who does Dudard represent symbolically in the play Rhinoceros?
5. What is "montage" and how is it used in The Leader?
6. In what ways does The Leader resemble Rhinoceros? How are the plays different?
7. In what ways do Berenger and Dudard have opposing views about what do do about the situation in Act 3 of Rhinoceros?
8. What do the two families do once the "news" has been exposed in The Future is in the Eggs?
9. Where is Berenger in the beginning of Act 3 of Rhinoceros? What is his state of mind?
10. What news does Daisy arrive with in Act 3 of Rhinoceros? How does Dudard react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the peripheral characters in Rhinoceros (Grocer, Cafe Owner, Old Gentleman, Mrs. Boeuf, etc.). How does Ionesco distinguish these characters differently than Jean and Berenger?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the syllogisms which the Logician presents in Act 1 of Rhinoceros. What is Ionesco saying through these examples? How do they tie to the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss satire as it applies to the three plays in the book. What is the definition of satire? How does Ionesco use it to make a philosophical point in these works?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)