|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Berenger say is superior to the rhinoceros in Act 3 of Rhinoceros?
2. How much does Father-Jacques say the eggs must be worth apiece in The Future is in the Eggs?
3. Who stands at either wall of the stage in the beginning of The Leader?
4. What does the audience do when the leader is announced in the distance in The Leader?
5. What has happened to Grandfather-Jacques in The Future is in the Eggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the elements of Theater of the Absurd which are seen in The Leader?
2. Who enters to explain the death of Grandfather in The Future is in the Eggs?
3. Where is Berenger in the beginning of Act 3 of Rhinoceros? What is his state of mind?
4. Who are the principle characters in The Leader?
5. What justification does Dudard give to lessen Berenger's fear of leaving in Act 3 of Rhinoceros?
6. What is Ionesco's principle theme in The Future is in the Eggs?
7. Where do the women take Roberta in The Future is in the Eggs? What takes place there?
8. What do the two families do once the "news" has been exposed in The Future is in the Eggs?
9. What do the family members represent symbolically in The Future is in the Eggs?
10. Why is the setting for The Leader established as it is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the terms symbolism, motif, metaphor and simile and describe how each is used in Rhinoceros. Use examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings of Rhinoceros, The Leader, and The Future is in the Eggs. How do the settings of these plays compare? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ionesco choose a rhinoceros as the creature which people evolve into in Rhinoceros? What symbolic statement is he saying through using this animal?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)