|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What of the leader's are they pressing, according to the Announcer in The Leader?
2. What has happened to Grandfather-Jacques in The Future is in the Eggs?
3. What does Berenger say he is not, which Jean was in Act 3 of Rhinoceros?
4. What does Daisy give Berenger for being good in Act 3 of Rhinoceros?
5. What does Dudard suggest Berenger has in the beginning of Act 3 of Rhinoceros?
Short Essay Questions
1. What justification does Dudard give to lessen Berenger's fear of leaving in Act 3 of Rhinoceros?
2. How is Berenger different than the other characters in Rhinoceros?
3. What is Ionesco's principle theme in The Future is in the Eggs?
4. Where is Berenger in the beginning of Act 3 of Rhinoceros? What is his state of mind?
5. What do the families do to get the attention of Jacques and Roberta in The Future is in the Eggs?
6. What do the two families do once the "news" has been exposed in The Future is in the Eggs?
7. What does Berenger drink in Act 3 of Rhinoceros? What discussion takes place about this?
8. Why is the setting for The Leader established as it is?
9. What does Dudard tell Berenger about work in Act 3 of Rhinoceros? What is Berenger's reaction?
10. What actions does the Leader do offstage? How do we know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ionesco's uses of foreshadowing in Rhinoceros. What examples of foreshadowing are included in the Logician's conversation? What is foreshadowed in Act 2?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of totalitarian/fascist/Nazi regimes as expressed in Rhinoceros. What symbolism does Ionesco use to illuminate this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of bourgeois values in the play The Future is in the Eggs. What symbolism does the playwright use to reflect this theme?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)