|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacques's family keep piling onto him in The Future is in the Eggs?
2. To whom does the leader give the hedgehog in The Leader?
3. What does the leader stroke in The Leader, according to the Announcer?
4. What does Berenger say is superior to the rhinoceros in Act 3 of Rhinoceros?
5. Dudard claims that Botard's stand against the rhinoceroses was simplistic and based on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ionesco's principle theme in The Future is in the Eggs?
2. What is "montage" and how is it used in The Leader?
3. Who does Dudard represent symbolically in the play Rhinoceros?
4. In what ways do Berenger and Dudard have opposing views about what do do about the situation in Act 3 of Rhinoceros?
5. What do the family members represent symbolically in The Future is in the Eggs?
6. In what ways does The Leader resemble Rhinoceros? How are the plays different?
7. Who are the principle characters in The Leader?
8. Where do the women take Roberta in The Future is in the Eggs? What takes place there?
9. What justification does Dudard give to lessen Berenger's fear of leaving in Act 3 of Rhinoceros?
10. Why is the setting for The Leader established as it is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of the play The Leader. What is noteworthy of the leader himself? What does each character represent metaphorically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ionesco's uses of foreshadowing in Rhinoceros. What examples of foreshadowing are included in the Logician's conversation? What is foreshadowed in Act 2?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Berenger and Jean in Rhinoceros. How are they different in appearance, ideals, and motivations? What similarities do they share?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)