|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of integrity does Jean say "we have to get back to" in Act 2, Scene 2 of Rhinoceros?
2. How old is Dudard?
3. What does Daisy get Berenger to sign quickly in Act 2, Scene 1 of Rhinoceros?
4. How old is Botard?
5. How does the old man in Act 2, Scene 2 of Rhinoceros say Jean was the last time he saw him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ionesco illuminate Berenger's drinking problem in Act 1 of Rhinoceros?
2. What about the rhinoceroses is discovered in Act 2, Scene 2 of Rhinoceros?
3. Who does Daisy call in the end of Act 2, Scene 1 of Rhinoceros? Why?
4. What is the association between ethical morality and the rhinoceroses in Rhinoceros?
5. Describe Jean and Berenger as they first appear in Act 1 of Rhinoceros.
6. What is Berenger's reaction to the first rhinoceros in Act 1 of Rhinoceros?
7. What correlation does Ionesco make between capitalism and rhinoceroses in the play Rhinoceros?
8. Who is the old man who lives next to Jean? What does he tell Berenger in Act 2, Scene 2 of Rhinoceros?
9. What is Jean's state when Berenger arrives in Act 2, Scene 2 of Rhinoceros?
10. What does the housewife break in Act 1 of Rhinoceros? What is the grocer's suggestion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of bourgeois life and bourgeois values in Rhinoceros. How do the characters represent this? How does Ionesco feel about bourgeois values based on the play?
Essay Topic 2
Define the terms symbolism, motif, metaphor and simile and describe how each is used in Rhinoceros. Use examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "will and responsibility" in Rhinoceros. How does Berenger represent this theme? How do the other characters?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)