|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the old man named who appears in Act 2, Scene 2 of Rhinoceros?
2. How many horns does the rhinoceros have in Act 2, Scene 1 of Rhinoceros?
3. Who does Mr. Papillon tell Daisy to call in Act 2, Scene 1 of Rhinoceros?
4. What did the second rhinoceros run over in Act 1 of Rhinoceros?
5. Who does Berenger tell Jean he thinks Daisy is attracted to in Act 1 of Rhinoceros?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who runs into the office in Act 2, Scene 1 of Rhinoceros? Why?
2. How does Jean's demeanor transform in Act 2, Scene 2 of Rhinoceros?
3. What is Berenger's argument against the rhinoceroses in Act 2, Scene 2 of Rhinoceros?
4. What is Mr. Papillon's reaction to Mr. Boeuf's transformation?
5. How does Ionesco connect rhinoceros ideology to that of fascism in Rhinoceros?
6. How is the appearance of a Rhinoceros presented to the audience in Act 1 of Rhinoceros?
7. What is Jean's state when Berenger arrives in Act 2, Scene 2 of Rhinoceros?
8. How does Ionesco illuminate Berenger's drinking problem in Act 1 of Rhinoceros?
9. What is the association between ethical morality and the rhinoceroses in Rhinoceros?
10. What argument breaks out about the rhinoceroses in Act 1 of Rhinoceros?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of the play The Leader. What is noteworthy of the leader himself? What does each character represent metaphorically?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ionesco choose a rhinoceros as the creature which people evolve into in Rhinoceros? What symbolic statement is he saying through using this animal?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings of Rhinoceros, The Leader, and The Future is in the Eggs. How do the settings of these plays compare? How are they different?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)