|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character to drive the vehicle on the way to Toronto?
2. Who teases Zhaboonigan as the women argue about getting to Toronto?
3. Why does Pelajia hand her hammer away to another character during the meeting?
4. What was Emily's friend in the motorcycle gang always angry about?
5. How much money do the women make in their various efforts for their trip to Toronto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the play ends. What lesson is left to be learned? What becomes of these women at the end of the play? How does the play end structurally and what meaning does that have? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Women are the main focus in this play while men attain a background or even negative role. Discuss the negative or background role of the men in this play. Why are there no male characters? In what light are the male characters spoken about? What do the views and discussions of the women lead the reader to believe about the male characters in their lives? Include in your discussion the characters of Big Joey, Eugene, Simon, the Chief, Henry, and Fritz the Katz.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character or spirit of Nanabush in the play. How is he represented? At what times does he show up during the play? How does he affect the lives of the women? Who can see him and why? Why is he important to the lives of the women? Explain how he is an important element of the play both thematically and structurally. Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)