|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money do the women make in their various efforts for their trip to Toronto?
2. What type of vehicle do the women drive to Toronto?
3. Who babysits to raise money for the trip?
4. What does Philomena say is the day that her and Pelajia's mother died?
5. What is the emotion felt most by the women as the bingo game progresses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the play ends. What lesson is left to be learned? What becomes of these women at the end of the play? How does the play end structurally and what meaning does that have? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different structural elements executed in the play and what they do for the play as a whole. What lighting or sound changes occur and what prompts them? Are they necessary in the play? What is the author's purpose in using them? Also, discuss the montage scene in Act 2. Answer the previous questions about this scene. What do these structures do for the play as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the relationship between mother and child is present in the play and its impact on the play. What mother/child relationships are present in the play? Why is this relationship important to the characters? How does this relationship affect the characters involved and other characters on the outside? Explain your answer using examples from the play.
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)