|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Zhaboonigan interrupts the women in the vehicle on the way to Toronto, what does she say?
2. Who teases Zhaboonigan as the women argue about getting to Toronto?
3. What is the main point of the eulogy for Marie-Adele?
4. What does Philomena say is the day that her and Pelajia's mother died?
5. Who tries to screw things up for the women as they work to get ready for the big bingo game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the meaning of the title "The Rez Sisters." Why does the author use the term "rez" in the title? Where else do we see the term "The Rez Sisters" referred to in the play? How does this connect with the title of the story and the story itself? Are any of the women in the play related or sisters? What could the author be trying to portray by calling the women sisters, other than in a familial relationship sense?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the play, Pelajia talks about dreams for her future, dreams that she can see from the roof of her house. How is the expression "window to a better life" employed in this play? Why do the women yearn for a better life and in what ways can we see them searching for it through this "window?" How is this metaphor employed throughout the rest of the play? Provide examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character or spirit of Nanabush in the play. How is he represented? At what times does he show up during the play? How does he affect the lives of the women? Who can see him and why? Why is he important to the lives of the women? Explain how he is an important element of the play both thematically and structurally. Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)