|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nanabush attack in Act 2, Scene 6?
2. Which of the following scenes in Act 2 is actually a montage of smaller scenes?
3. What do the women say after they are unsuccessful in the bingo game?
4. When Zhaboonigan interrupts the women in the vehicle on the way to Toronto, what does she say?
5. What was Emily's friend in the motorcycle gang always angry about?
Essay Topic 1
Nanabush is present throughout the play, but only certain characters can see him. Discuss the relationship between Nanabush and the women who can see him. Who acknowledges Nanabush? For what reason? Describe the scenes between these women and Nanabush. What is the purpose of their contact? How does it effect the play? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of Indian reserves in Canada in the context of how the reserve affected the author who subsequently wrote the play. What is the author trying to say about life on a reserve through this play? Is his message effective? Is his message universal or solely having to do with Indian women on a reserve? How is the message more effective in the form of the play as opposed to another literary category such as a novel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the desires of the women at the beginning of the play. How do the women express their desires and wishes? How do these wishes come about? How do these wishes define their characters? Are the wishes of these women characters fulfilled? Support your reasoning with examples from the play.
This section contains 1,555 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)