|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pelajia say there will be more of as a result of better roads on the reserve?
2. What date does Marie-Adele's important event in Toronto fall on?
3. What does Emily say is the source of her injury?
4. Whose names does Marie-Adele ask Veronique's daughter to list?
5. What does Veronique say about Emily Dictionary's name during their argument?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Zhaboonigan related to Veronique? How did Veronique come to care for the girl?
2. What specific things do the women do in their efforts to raise money for the trip to Toronto?
3. Why is Veronique mad when she arrives at Marie-Adele's house in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What semi-serious plan do the three women: Pelajia, Philomena, and Annie, hatch while they are talking about bingo and prizes?
5. What happens between Marie-Adele and Nanabush at the bingo game in Toronto?
6. Annie is picked to be the first driver on the trip to Toronto. What is Annie's driving like in Act 2, Scene 5?
7. Why is Pelajia upset with Annie in Act 1, Scene 1? What is Annie's response?
8. In the van on their way to Toronto, what fears does Marie-Adele express about Annie considering anything should happen to Marie-Adele?
9. What happens between the women and Nanabush in Act 2, Scene 6 when the women stop to change their van's flat tire?
10. How does Pelajia get the women's attention as they are bantering about the big bingo game? What does she want to get their attention for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play is broken down into two Acts, each having its own climax. Discuss the climax point of each play and how it is built up. Where does the climax, or highpoint, of Act 1 and Act 2 occur? Why is it the climax? In each case, what effect do the scenes before and after the climax have on this point? What would you say is the climax of the novel? Discuss the events that are happening at this point. What do we learn in the play through the climax events and how do they ultimately affect the resolution of the play and the characters? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of Indian reserves in Canada in the context of how the reserve affected the author who subsequently wrote the play. What is the author trying to say about life on a reserve through this play? Is his message effective? Is his message universal or solely having to do with Indian women on a reserve? How is the message more effective in the form of the play as opposed to another literary category such as a novel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the experience at the world's largest bingo game change the women characters in the play? Do they move on from bingo? Does the place of bingo change in their lives? In what other ways do these women change? How does the death of Marie-Adele affect them? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)