|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gazelle Nataways tell Veronique about bingo?
2. Which of the following best describes Veronique's daughter?
3. Why does Marie-Adele drop to her knees before she can punch Veronique?
4. Emily Dictionary says that she was not the intended target of the person who caused her injury. Who was?
5. Who is Annie's favorite bar band?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the encounter between Marie-Adele and Nanabush at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2.
2. What happens between Emily and Zhaboonigan at the end of Act 2, Scene 6? Are you surprised by this?
3. Annie is picked to be the first driver on the trip to Toronto. What is Annie's driving like in Act 2, Scene 5?
4. What does Marie-Adele confess to Pelajia about her husband, Eugene, and their intimate life?
5. Why does Pelajia give her hammer to Emily as the women get together to discuss their trip to Toronto?
6. What happened to Emily's friend from the biker gang? What does Emily resolve not to do because of it?
7. What do the women in Act 1, Scene 1 say they want to do with their bingo winnings?
8. How does the play end?
9. What is Nanabush's role in the scene as the women meet to plan their trip to Toronto?
10. As Pelajia is on her roof in the final scene of the play, she again imagines a better life on the reserve. What role does she say she wish she had and how does she say life would be better because of it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a thematic point in the play, perhaps the most important, that "life should be enjoyed for what it is since death comes too soon and a life spent dreaming is a life wasted." How does this thematic point apply to the play? Where does it come into play? Do the characters learn this point by the end of the play? Why is this point so relevant even to people in real life?
Essay Topic 2
The play is broken down into two Acts, each having its own climax. Discuss the climax point of each play and how it is built up. Where does the climax, or highpoint, of Act 1 and Act 2 occur? Why is it the climax? In each case, what effect do the scenes before and after the climax have on this point? What would you say is the climax of the novel? Discuss the events that are happening at this point. What do we learn in the play through the climax events and how do they ultimately affect the resolution of the play and the characters? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the scene of the death of Marie-Adele. How is this event foreshadowed or alluded to in the play? What structural elements are included in this event in the play? What do they mean and what does the author want to express by using them in the story? Why does the author choose a certain point for Marie-Adele's death?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)