|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Act 1, Scene 2 set?
2. During an argument, where does Veronique let out that she saw Emily?
3. What is the name of the abusive man that Emily used to live with?
4. What did the woman Veronique complains about recently receive?
5. How many punches does it take for Emily to knock Big Joey out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pelajia comment to her sister, Philomena, about bingo and the old ways?
2. What does Annie come to ask Philomena for at the end of the play? Why does she want it and why do the women tease her?
3. What are Veronique's complaints about life on the reservation?
4. What does Marie-Adele confess to Pelajia about her husband, Eugene, and their intimate life?
5. What does Veronique say that she will do with her bingo winnings?
6. Does Pelajia's first idea for getting the money to travel to Toronto for the big bingo game work? What happens?
7. As Pelajia is on her roof in the final scene of the play, she again imagines a better life on the reserve. What role does she say she wish she had and how does she say life would be better because of it?
8. What is Emily Dictionary's accusation of Veronique regarding Zhaboonigan? How does the woman respond?
9. What happens between Marie-Adele and Nanabush at the bingo game in Toronto?
10. What does Zhaboonigan try to do as Marie-Adele is being led away with Nanabush? Why do you think she tries to do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the meaning of the title "The Rez Sisters." Why does the author use the term "rez" in the title? Where else do we see the term "The Rez Sisters" referred to in the play? How does this connect with the title of the story and the story itself? Are any of the women in the play related or sisters? What could the author be trying to portray by calling the women sisters, other than in a familial relationship sense?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plight of the women on the reserve. Is life harder for the women? What are their chief complaints? Why would it be harder for women than men? How do these women deal with the hardships of life? Give examples using the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does the experience at the world's largest bingo game change the women characters in the play? Do they move on from bingo? Does the place of bingo change in their lives? In what other ways do these women change? How does the death of Marie-Adele affect them? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)