|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Marie-Adele have?
2. What happens to Philomena when she falls from the ladder?
3. What does Pelajia say there will be more of as a result of better roads on the reserve?
4. Where does Pelajia tell her sister that she wants to go?
5. How many biological children does Veronique have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emily Dictionary end up with a black eye? How did she defend herself?
2. What does Veronique say that she will do with her bingo winnings?
3. How do the women learn about the biggest bingo game in the world? When is it and how much is the grand prize?
4. What is Philomena's part in the fight between the women in Act 1, Scene 3, Part 1?
5. What happens between the women and Nanabush in Act 2, Scene 6 when the women stop to change their van's flat tire?
6. How does Pelajia get the women's attention as they are bantering about the big bingo game? What does she want to get their attention for?
7. Does Pelajia's first idea for getting the money to travel to Toronto for the big bingo game work? What happens?
8. How does Philomena describe her life in Toronto?
9. How is Zhaboonigan related to Veronique? How did Veronique come to care for the girl?
10. In the van on their way to Toronto, what fears does Marie-Adele express about Annie considering anything should happen to Marie-Adele?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play is broken down into two Acts, each having its own climax. Discuss the climax point of each play and how it is built up. Where does the climax, or highpoint, of Act 1 and Act 2 occur? Why is it the climax? In each case, what effect do the scenes before and after the climax have on this point? What would you say is the climax of the novel? Discuss the events that are happening at this point. What do we learn in the play through the climax events and how do they ultimately affect the resolution of the play and the characters? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the characters in the play including Pelajia, Philomena, Emily, Annie, Veronique, Zhaboonigan, and Marie-Adele. Who is she and how would you best describe her? What is her backstory? How does it affect her character in the play? What is her role in the play? Does she change or evolve over the course of the play? Why? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the play ends. What lesson is left to be learned? What becomes of these women at the end of the play? How does the play end structurally and what meaning does that have? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)