|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Philomena comes running through the store, what is she desperate to use?
2. What emotional state is Veronique in when she comes to see Marie-Adele?
3. Who is Annie?
4. Where does Emily say she will take Zhaboonigan if she wins the big prize in bingo?
5. What did the woman Veronique complains about recently receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annie come to ask Philomena for at the end of the play? Why does she want it and why do the women tease her?
2. What are Veronique's complaints about life on the reservation?
3. How did Emily Dictionary get so tough and learn how to fight?
4. What happens between Emily and Zhaboonigan at the end of Act 2, Scene 6? Are you surprised by this?
5. What does Marie-Adele say that she would do with her bingo winnings?
6. Who did Philomena have a child with and what happened to it?
7. Annie is picked to be the first driver on the trip to Toronto. What is Annie's driving like in Act 2, Scene 5?
8. How does Nanabush appear in the opening of Act 2, Scene 7?
9. Describe the anticipation of the women for the biggest bingo game in the world.
10. Describe the scene where Annie and Emily are singing at the bar.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the relationship between mother and child is present in the play and its impact on the play. What mother/child relationships are present in the play? Why is this relationship important to the characters? How does this relationship affect the characters involved and other characters on the outside? Explain your answer using examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different structural elements executed in the play and what they do for the play as a whole. What lighting or sound changes occur and what prompts them? Are they necessary in the play? What is the author's purpose in using them? Also, discuss the montage scene in Act 2. Answer the previous questions about this scene. What do these structures do for the play as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plight of the women on the reserve. Is life harder for the women? What are their chief complaints? Why would it be harder for women than men? How do these women deal with the hardships of life? Give examples using the text.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)