|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philomena want to buy with her bingo winnings?
2. Who gives Emily the injury that she has?
3. What emotional state is Veronique in when she comes to see Marie-Adele?
4. What date does Marie-Adele's important event in Toronto fall on?
5. Which of the following best describes Veronique's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Emily and Zhaboonigan at the end of Act 2, Scene 6? Are you surprised by this?
2. What is Pelajia's response to Marie-Adele about her intimate confession involving her husband?
3. What is Pelajia's first idea for getting the money to travel to Toronto for the big bingo game? What is her argument for this idea?
4. What is happening between Emily and Zhaboonigan in Act 2, Scene 8? What kind of relationship do these two characters seem to emulate?
5. As Pelajia is on her roof in the final scene of the play, she again imagines a better life on the reserve. What role does she say she wish she had and how does she say life would be better because of it?
6. How is Zhaboonigan related to Veronique? How did Veronique come to care for the girl?
7. How does Emily Dictionary end up with a black eye? How did she defend herself?
8. What does Zhaboonigan try to do as Marie-Adele is being led away with Nanabush? Why do you think she tries to do this?
9. What does Marie-Adele say that she would do with her bingo winnings?
10. What happens between the women and Nanabush in Act 2, Scene 6 when the women stop to change their van's flat tire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the experience at the world's largest bingo game change the women characters in the play? Do they move on from bingo? Does the place of bingo change in their lives? In what other ways do these women change? How does the death of Marie-Adele affect them? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Nanabush is present throughout the play, but only certain characters can see him. Discuss the relationship between Nanabush and the women who can see him. Who acknowledges Nanabush? For what reason? Describe the scenes between these women and Nanabush. What is the purpose of their contact? How does it effect the play? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
This play seems to center around the game of bingo. Describe the role of bingo in this play. What is the importance of the game of bingo? Why are the characters so obsessed with winning the big prize in bingo? What does bingo mean for the women in the play? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)