|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the names of the sisters introduced in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Emily Dictionary says that she was not the intended target of the person who caused her injury. Who was?
3. Who does Pelajia suggest the women go to to get money for their trip?
4. Where does Veronique indicate that Marie-Adele is going where she can't take care of her kids?
5. Where does Emily say she will take Zhaboonigan if she wins the big prize in bingo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Philomena tell a story about at the end of Act 1, Scene 1? What is the story about?
2. What is Pelajia's first idea for getting the money to travel to Toronto for the big bingo game? What is her argument for this idea?
3. What does Veronique say that she will do with her bingo winnings?
4. What happens when the women get frustrated after they aren't successful at the bingo game?
5. In the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, Part 1, what does Annie tell Emily she was not able to find out? What do they resolve to do?
6. Why does Pelajia give her hammer to Emily as the women get together to discuss their trip to Toronto?
7. How does Nanabush appear in the opening of Act 2, Scene 7?
8. What does Annie come to ask Philomena for at the end of the play? Why does she want it and why do the women tease her?
9. During Act 1, Scene3, Part 2, Emily Dictionary does a lot of teasing. Who does she specifically pick on and what does she tease them about?
10. What is the argument between Veronique and Emily concerning Zhaboonigan about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the characters in the play including Pelajia, Philomena, Emily, Annie, Veronique, Zhaboonigan, and Marie-Adele. Who is she and how would you best describe her? What is her backstory? How does it affect her character in the play? What is her role in the play? Does she change or evolve over the course of the play? Why? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plight of the women on the reserve. Is life harder for the women? What are their chief complaints? Why would it be harder for women than men? How do these women deal with the hardships of life? Give examples using the text.
Essay Topic 3
Women are the main focus in this play while men attain a background or even negative role. Discuss the negative or background role of the men in this play. Why are there no male characters? In what light are the male characters spoken about? What do the views and discussions of the women lead the reader to believe about the male characters in their lives? Include in your discussion the characters of Big Joey, Eugene, Simon, the Chief, Henry, and Fritz the Katz.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)