|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veronique do when the other women gang up on her?
2. Why does Veronique's daughter become angry with herself?
3. What important event does Marie-Adele have planned in Toronto around the time of the big bingo game?
4. Where does Veronique tell Marie-Adele she has seen Emily Dictionary going?
5. Which appliance does Veronique complain doesn't work at her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What semi-serious plan do the three women: Pelajia, Philomena, and Annie, hatch while they are talking about bingo and prizes?
2. What is the main subject of conversation between the women in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Why is Pelajia upset with Annie in Act 1, Scene 1? What is Annie's response?
4. How does Pelajia get the women's attention as they are bantering about the big bingo game? What does she want to get their attention for?
5. Why does Pelajia give her hammer to Emily as the women get together to discuss their trip to Toronto?
6. What does Pelajia comment to her sister, Philomena, about bingo and the old ways?
7. What happens between the women and Nanabush in Act 2, Scene 6 when the women stop to change their van's flat tire?
8. What happens when the women get frustrated after they aren't successful at the bingo game?
9. What happened to Emily's friend from the biker gang? What does Emily resolve not to do because of it?
10. As the women meet to try and plan their trip to Toronto and the biggest bingo game, what do they argue about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of Indian reserves in Canada in the context of how the reserve affected the author who subsequently wrote the play. What is the author trying to say about life on a reserve through this play? Is his message effective? Is his message universal or solely having to do with Indian women on a reserve? How is the message more effective in the form of the play as opposed to another literary category such as a novel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The play is broken down into two Acts, each having its own climax. Discuss the climax point of each play and how it is built up. Where does the climax, or highpoint, of Act 1 and Act 2 occur? Why is it the climax? In each case, what effect do the scenes before and after the climax have on this point? What would you say is the climax of the novel? Discuss the events that are happening at this point. What do we learn in the play through the climax events and how do they ultimately affect the resolution of the play and the characters? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
This play seems to center around the game of bingo. Describe the role of bingo in this play. What is the importance of the game of bingo? Why are the characters so obsessed with winning the big prize in bingo? What does bingo mean for the women in the play? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,255 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)