|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Annie's favorite bar band?
2. What is Nanabush in the form of during his encounter with Zhaboonigan?
3. What is the name of the Indian reserve that the women live on?
4. Why does Philomena yell at everyone to be quiet during the argument in Act 1, Scene 3, Part 1?
5. Who does Pelajia suggest the women go to to get money for their trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Zhaboonigan related to Veronique? How did Veronique come to care for the girl?
2. What do the women in Act 1, Scene 1 say they want to do with their bingo winnings?
3. How do the women learn about the biggest bingo game in the world? When is it and how much is the grand prize?
4. What is Emily Dictionary's accusation of Veronique regarding Zhaboonigan? How does the woman respond?
5. What is Pelajia's first idea for getting the money to travel to Toronto for the big bingo game? What is her argument for this idea?
6. What specific things do the women do in their efforts to raise money for the trip to Toronto?
7. Who does Philomena tell a story about at the end of Act 1, Scene 1? What is the story about?
8. What does Pelajia comment to her sister, Philomena, about bingo and the old ways?
9. What happens in the encounter between Zhaboonigan and Nanabush in Act 1, Scene 3, Part 1?
10. What does Annie come to ask Philomena for at the end of the play? Why does she want it and why do the women tease her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, the relationships between the women evolve and change. Sometimes the women have a negative, violent relationship with each other and at other times, they can be vulnerable and intimate with each other. Discuss this changing relationship between the characters. Who expresses it? Why does it change? What effect does it have on the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character or spirit of Nanabush in the play. How is he represented? At what times does he show up during the play? How does he affect the lives of the women? Who can see him and why? Why is he important to the lives of the women? Explain how he is an important element of the play both thematically and structurally. Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the desires of the women at the beginning of the play. How do the women express their desires and wishes? How do these wishes come about? How do these wishes define their characters? Are the wishes of these women characters fulfilled? Support your reasoning with examples from the play.
This section contains 2,222 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)