|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With spring approaching, what does Shep recall?
2. After the Givings leave, what does Frank Wheeler do?
3. How does John speak to Frank?
4. Where does Shep plan to meet Frank?
5. About what does this woman grill Frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank react when April does not seem to think that what John said was insane?
2. What do the Wheelers figure about? How does Frank respond to this information?
3. For what does Pollock praise Frank?
4. What happens when Frank takes Milly home?
5. What does Norma tell Frank?
6. What does Frank decide once he has completed three more marketing brochures for Bart Pollock?
7. How did Milly feel about selling the house to the Brace family?
8. What does Frank realize about the hotel where Bart Pollock takes him to lunch?
9. How does John act around the Wheelers?
10. What do the Campbells and Wheelers do when they are bored with each other's company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme found in this story regards the difficulties of relationships.
Part 1) How is this theme threaded throughout the play among the various characters?
Part 2) Would you consider this a universal theme? Why or why not?
Part 3) With what message does the author leave the reader at the end of the book, regarding this theme? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 2
Frank feels conflicting feelings about his work.
Part 1) Where does Frank work? Why does he have conflicting feelings about his work?
Part 2) How is the plan to move to France affecting him at work? Why does it affect him this way?
Part 3) How does his view of his work situation change over the course of the book? Why do these changes occur?
Essay Topic 3
Frank and April decide to move to Paris.
Part 1) Why do they decide to move to Paris? Why might they have chosen Paris, rather than any other city?
Part 2) Why do they believe a move to Europe will fix their lives?
Part 3) How does this fantasy reflect real life?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)