|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank threaten to do?
(a) Leave her.
(b) Call the police.
(c) Get a divorce.
(d) Hit her with his closed fist.
2. How does Frank feel about April as he makes his way backstage after the curtain comes down?
(b) Annoyed by her.
(c) He desires her.
(d) Shy and nervous.
3. What does Ordway ask Wheeler about moving to Europe?
(a) Is life better in Europe.
(b) Why he needs to move there to "discover" himself.
(c) Will he have a better job in Europe.
(d) Will he save money by moving there.
4. How does April counter what Frank says about her idea?
(a) It is a great idea and he will be sorry to not trust her.
(b) What is unrealistic is the notion that they should live in the suburbs and somehow be happy surrounded by shallow people with whom they have nothing in common.
(c) It is not as wonderful as her love for him.
(d) It wil be an even better idea as they work on their plans together.
5. What does Frank decide to do, regarding Maureen?
(a) Ignore her.
(b) Make a pass at her.
(c) Ask her out to dinner.
(d) Take off her sweater.
6. What does Shep's mother do with the family fortune?
(a) She lost it.
(b) She gives it to Shep.
(c) She doubled it.
(d) She spends it.
7. What does April say Europe will do for him?
(a) Provide him a break from reality.
(b) Provide the correct cultural background for him to find a meaningful life for himself.
(c) Give him a taste of life away from New York City and the suburbs of Connecticut.
(d) Save him from the depression into which he is sinking.
8. What scheduling snafu takes place?
(a) They are booked for one night with the Campbells and another night with the Givings.
(b) They have no plans for the evening.
(c) They will have to leave for France later.
(d) They book an evening with both the Campbells and the Givings.
9. What does Frank say when April asks for his forgiveness?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He forgives her.
(c) He asks her to forgive him.
(d) He asks her what he should forgive her for.
10. How do the others react to Franks long-winded speech?
(a) They become angry.
(b) They sit quietly, indifferently.
(c) They argue with him about his views.
(d) They tell him they do not care what he has to say.
11. In a rage, what does April do?
(a) She starts throwing objects out the window of the car.
(b) She begins to scream at Frank.
(c) She jumps out of the car and starts walking down the dark highway.
(d) She hits Frank.
12. How does April respond to Frank's protestations about moving to France?
(a) He needs to trust her that it will all turn out alright.
(b) It does not matter because she will find him a job.
(c) It does not matter because she is prepared to work to support the family while he "finds himself."
(d) He will find a good job very quickly.
13. Shep is a rebel and resents what?
(a) His mother's efforts to soften him.
(b) His life.
(c) His past.
(d) His wife.
14. Why does Frank suddenly become angry with his son, Michael?
(a) The shovel comes close to his son's small foot.
(b) Michael is asking too many questions.
(c) Michael has lied to him.
(d) Michael is misbehaving.
15. Why did Maureen escape to New York City?
(a) So she could experience "life."
(b) To be with her husband.
(c) To find a job.
(d) So she could make more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Frank and April's love affair in a seedy shack near Greenwich Village turn serious?
2. What is learned about the Givings's son, John?
3. At lunch with his co-worker Jack Ordway, what does Frank begin to realize?
4. What does Frank do after pulling the car over?
5. What does Frank do when she starts to go into a long explanation?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)