|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank fend off?
(a) Invitations from other co-workers to join them for lunch.
(b) His boss.
(c) Maureen's flirtatious behavior.
(d) Repeated calls from his wife.
2. What does Frank decide to do, regarding Maureen?
(a) Ignore her.
(b) Take off her sweater.
(c) Make a pass at her.
(d) Ask her out to dinner.
3. With what does Frank Wheeler awaken?
(a) A deep depression.
(b) A debilitating hangover.
(c) Love for his wife.
(d) A refreshed feeling.
4. What does Frank say suburbanites leave in a fog of denial?
(a) How mundane life is in the suburbs.
(b) Their ignorance.
(c) The important issues of the world.
(d) How much they detest their lives.
5. For what does April apologize again?
(a) Making plans without discussing them with him first.
(b) Being hot-headed.
(c) Being hard to live with since her involvement with the community theater.
(d) Being rude and unkind.
6. Why does Frank get a cab for himself and Maureen to take to a favorite restaurant?
(a) So they do not have to walk.
(b) He is further trying to conceal his actions from his co-workers.
(c) It is raining.
(d) To impress her.
7. Of what is the drab, ugly architecture of the Knox Building in New York City where Frank Wheeler works in sales promotion is an emblem?
(a) The Frank's view of his life and work.
(b) The city of New York.
(c) The drab, dull routines that workers inside go through daily.
(d) The drab, dull routine of all workers.
8. Why does Frank call Maureen's supervisor at the office?
(a) To tell him he was "borrowing" Maureen for the afternoon.
(b) To tell him she will now be working for Frank.
(c) To tell him she has quit.
(d) To tell him she will be returning shortly.
9. What dooms the performance?
(a) Lighting problems.
(b) An out of tune pit orchestra.
(c) Bad acting.
(d) Poor singing.
10. How did Frank respond when April did not consult him with her plans?
(a) He was relieved.
(b) He became angry.
(c) He was hurt.
(d) He was embarrassed.
11. As they sip their tea, what does Helen Givings do?
(a) She reprimands her husband for not helping her deal with their son.
(b) She discusses her day with her husband.
(c) She worries about her son.
(d) She rehearses in her mind how she hopes the visit with the Wheelers will go.
12. Where does John Givings currently live?
(a) At Greenacres, the state mental hospital.
(b) The North Fork.
(c) With his parents.
(d) In Pendleton Penitentiary.
13. How do the others react to Franks long-winded speech?
(a) They argue with him about his views.
(b) They become angry.
(c) They sit quietly, indifferently.
(d) They tell him they do not care what he has to say.
14. With what does Frank Wheeler struggle?
(a) His feelings about his wife.
(b) His agreement to move his family to Paris.
(c) Whether or not he wants to leave his job and larger salary.
(d) The question of who to tell, and when, of his planned departure from the Knox Business Machines Co.
15. How does Frank try to dismiss the afternoon?
(a) As a waste of time.
(b) As a huge mistake.
(c) As a pleasant interlue and nothing more.
(d) As the best date he has been on in a long time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Helen formerly a stenographer?
2. Of what does Frank reassure April?
3. What does Frank do when she starts to go into a long explanation?
4. What happens as Frank rides the elevator to the fifteenth floor?
5. What does Frank fantasize about Maureen Grube?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)