|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Frank once boasted to April years earlier?
(a) That he could speak both French and Spanish.
(b) That he had worked in Paris.
(c) That he could speak fluent French from his time there after the war.
(d) That he had lived in France for many years.
2. Where was Helen formerly a stenographer?
(a) Knox Machine Company.
(b) A machinery plant.
3. What does Frank do after pulling the car over?
(a) He slides across the seat to try and take his wife in his arms.
(b) He gets out and begins to walk away.
(c) He yells at April.
(d) He does nothing.
4. What does Frank fantasize about Maureen Grube?
(a) Removing her sweater and baring her breasts.
(b) Talking to her.
(c) Making love to her.
(d) Asking her out on a date.
5. What happens when the leading man becomes sick and unable to act?
(a) The understudy takes his place.
(b) The director takes his place.
(c) The stage manager takes his place.
(d) A friend takes his place.
6. How does April respond to Frank's protestations about moving to France?
(a) It does not matter because she is prepared to work to support the family while he "finds himself."
(b) He will find a good job very quickly.
(c) He needs to trust her that it will all turn out alright.
(d) It does not matter because she will find him a job.
7. What kind of husband does April not want?
(a) One who cannot think for himself.
(b) One who is poor.
(c) One who is not willing to do as she asks.
(d) One who works himself into an early grave at a job he hates for a house and life in suburbia that means nothing to them.
8. As the alcohol flows, what happens to Maureen's affections and spirits?
(a) They disappear completely.
(b) They grow stronger.
(c) They stay the same.
(d) They seem to flag.
9. Why is Frank worried?
(a) It might rain.
(b) One of April's friends might see them.
(c) He will not get all of his work done, due to his extended lunch break.
(d) His wife might find out.
10. Why did Maureen escape to New York City?
(a) To find a job.
(b) To be with her husband.
(c) So she could make more money.
(d) So she could experience "life."
11. When did Frank and April's love affair in a seedy shack near Greenwich Village turn serious?
(a) He lost his job.
(b) She became sick.
(c) She got pregnant.
(d) They got married.
12. Where does John Givings currently live?
(a) In Pendleton Penitentiary.
(b) At Greenacres, the state mental hospital.
(c) With his parents.
(d) The North Fork.
13. In a rage, what does April do?
(a) She starts throwing objects out the window of the car.
(b) She jumps out of the car and starts walking down the dark highway.
(c) She begins to scream at Frank.
(d) She hits Frank.
14. What does Frank finally notice when he tries to apologize to his wife?
(a) She is asleep.
(b) She has left the house.
(c) She is crying.
(d) She has taken a blanket and gone to sleep on the couch downstairs.
15. To what does Frank look forward?
(a) His children going back to school.
(b) The end of his marriage.
(c) The arrival of Shep and Milly Campbell.
(d) The beginning of the work week.
Short Answer Questions
1. On a quiet Sunday morning after their big fight, what does Frank Wheeler do?
2. Where does Frank find temporary solace?
3. As they nurture and cherish their plan to move to Europe, what do April and Frank continue to ridicule?
4. How does April respond to Frank?
5. How do both April and Frank feel as children?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)