|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Father repeatedly do following his return to the farm?
(a) He stops and stares at Mother.
(b) He yells at her.
(c) He tells her how grateful he is for her patience.
(d) He tells her how much he loves her independent spirit.
2. After Sammy's response to Mother's second question, what happens?
(a) Nanny tells Sammy to go find his father.
(b) Mother scolds Sammy.
(c) Mother tells Sammy to leave the house.
(d) Mother tells Sammy to eat his food.
3. How many years ago did Father make a promise to Mother?
4. What does Mother have to do for Father as Sammy takes the horse away following Father's return?
(a) She takes his boots off.
(b) She combs his hair before she serves him dinner.
(c) She moves everything back to the old house.
(d) She takes the horse to the barn.
5. How does the author describe Mother in the scene following the arrival at the farm?
(a) As a simple and pious New England mother.
(b) As a sweet and genteel Southern wife.
(c) As a gracious and hard-working wife.
(d) As an angry and bitter New England mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is an underlying attitude that the author provides as Father gives the directions for while he is away on his trip. What is that underlying attitude?
2. From the introduction, what does the reader know about the main character?
3. What do some of the people think about the gossip news in Section 4?
4. How is the harness room described by 6:00 that night?
5. Once the bantering between Mother and Father is over, what does Mother ask?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)