|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many children does Dr. Pipher indicate come from, or spend a part of, their childhood in a single parent home?
2. What speculation does Pipher make about girls who are raised to be open-minded and curious?
3. Which of the following is not how daughters describe their supportive fathers?
4. How does Dr. Pipher describe adolescent girls?
5. Which group of adults does Dr. Pipher believe is the most well adjusted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the contradictions that occur between the expectations between the father and mother according to Dr. Pipher.
2. What does Dr. Pipher believe is the root cause of the split that occurs in early childhood?
3. Describe the double standard that Dr. Pipher describes as related to the expectations that Americans have?
4. Why does Dr. Pipher describe adolescent girls as female impersonators?
5. What are some of the conflicting messages that adolescent girls are faced with?
6. Describe young girls' emotional systems and how this can affect them?
7. How does Dr. Pipher explain the difference between surface structure of behaviors and the deep structure of meaning?
8. According to Miller, what do patients do to fit in better?
9. How do girls perceive distant fathers according to Dr. Pipher?
10. What concerns Dr. Pipher most about divorce and why is she concerned about this issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe anorexia is more of a problem in Western civilization? What girls are at the greatest risk for developing anorexia? Why do you believe this is the case?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different types of mother and daughter relationships described by Dr. Pipher and the outcomes of each type of relationship. Provide a personal example of each type of relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining why it is difficult to reason with young girls. What factors play into this issue? Do you agree with Dr. Pipher's analysis? Why or why not?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)