|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Pipher describe surface structure?
2. Which of the following was not used to describe the values of yesterday described in this chapter?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes the relationship between Whitney and Evelyn?
4. Which group of adults does Dr. Pipher believe is the most well adjusted?
5. About how many children does Dr. Pipher indicate come from, or spend a part of, their childhood in a single parent home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Pipher believe is the root cause of the split that occurs in early childhood?
2. How do teenagers view their parents' divorces and what happens to the authority of the parents after a divorce?
3. What does Dr. Pipher indicate is the problem as it relates to young girls with fairy tales?
4. What seems to be the underlying issue between Jessica and her mother?
5. According to Miller, what do patients do to fit in better?
6. How does Dr. Pipher explain the difference between surface structure of behaviors and the deep structure of meaning?
7. Describe the double standard that Dr. Pipher describes as related to the expectations that Americans have?
8. What happens as adolescent girls withdraw from their parents and what does this offer to the girls?
9. How does Fay feel about her daughter's announcement that she is a lesbian?
10. What concerns Dr. Pipher most about divorce and why is she concerned about this issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has adolescent culture changed from previous generations? What are the problems as you see them for the twenty-first century adolescent girls? Do you think they have changed from those of the 1990s? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Dr. Pipher believe that adolescent children suffer the most in divorce? Do you agree with her reasons? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the different types of parents and how these types affect their children's drinking and drug use. What are the reasons for this?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)