|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Pipher indicate that most teens are not mature enough to understand?
2. What is the overshadowing problem concerning Franchesca?
3. What concerns Dr. Pipher about many of the children of divorce?
4. How does Dr. Pipher describe deep structure?
5. Who does Dr. Pipher say is often given the credit for raising strong daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Pipher believe that young girls are particularly difficult to develop theories about in regard to treatment?
2. How do girls perceive distant fathers according to Dr. Pipher?
3. What suggestions does Dr. Pipher make to Franchesca and how does Franchesca change based on the suggestions?
4. Describe the contradictions that occur between the expectations between the father and mother according to Dr. Pipher.
5. How does Fay feel about her daughter's announcement that she is a lesbian?
6. How do teenagers view their parents' divorces and what happens to the authority of the parents after a divorce?
7. Describe Miller's definition of vibrancy and provide an example of how it can be overcome?
8. What contradiction does Dr. Pipher describe between who gets credit for raising a strong daughter and who is more typically responsible?
9. Describe young girls' emotional systems and how this can affect them?
10. Why does Dr. Pipher believe that adolescents are most impacted by divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the causes and impacts of depression on the lives of young girls. What factors can cause depression? How do most young girls deal with depression?
Essay Topic 2
Write a complete explanation about the state of psychological health called vibrancy. How has this term affected your life? Provide specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one case study from the book and make evaluations on the subject and the methods used by Dr. Pipher to address the issues.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)