|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of student is Whitney?
2. What does Pipher believe that most people imagine teens' family structures consists of?
3. About how many children does Dr. Pipher indicate come from, or spend a part of, their childhood in a single parent home?
4. Which of the following is not one of the types of father-daughter relationships Dr. Pipher describes?
5. How does Dr. Pipher describe Polly's transformation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe young girls' emotional systems and how this can affect them?
2. Describe the contradictions that occur between the expectations between the father and mother according to Dr. Pipher.
3. What does Dr. Pipher indicate is the problem as it relates to young girls with fairy tales?
4. How do teenagers view their parents' divorces and what happens to the authority of the parents after a divorce?
5. What is the second dimension and the two extremes which make it up as described by Pipher?
6. Describe the double standard that Dr. Pipher describes as related to the expectations that Americans have?
7. What do surface behaviors camouflage and what does this make difficult and why is this the case?
8. Describe Miller's definition of vibrancy and provide an example of how it can be overcome?
9. What seems to be the underlying issue between Jessica and her mother?
10. According to Miller, what do patients do to fit in better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Dr. Pipher believe that beauty is the defining characteristic for American women? Do you agree with her reasons? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe more and more young girls are having sex at a younger age? What contributing factors are provided in the text? Do you agree with Dr. Pipher's conclusions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Pipher describes that many noted female leaders were isolated as adolescents. Why is this the case? Do you believe that isolated adolescent girls will be more successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)