|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not used to describe the values of yesterday described in this chapter?
2. Which type of parents have teens who are impulsive, irresponsible and dependent?
3. According to Dr. Pipher, adolescence requires daughters to distance themselves from who?
4. Which of the following finishes the following conflicting messages: Girls should be independent but _____________.
5. What does Dr. Pipher indicate that most teens are not mature enough to understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns Dr. Pipher most about divorce and why is she concerned about this issue?
2. What is the second dimension and the two extremes which make it up as described by Pipher?
3. How do teenagers view their parents' divorces and what happens to the authority of the parents after a divorce?
4. Describe why Pete is concerned about his relationship with his daughter and what Dr. Pipher does about this relationship.
5. What contradiction does Dr. Pipher describe between who gets credit for raising a strong daughter and who is more typically responsible?
6. What suggestions does Dr. Pipher make to Franchesca and how does Franchesca change based on the suggestions?
7. In what ways does Pipher compare families of the 1990s with those in previous years of history?
8. According to Miller, what do patients do to fit in better?
9. What seems to be the reason that Jessica is rebelling and how does her mother react to this rebellion?
10. How does Fay feel about her daughter's announcement that she is a lesbian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has adolescent culture changed from previous generations? What are the problems as you see them for the twenty-first century adolescent girls? Do you think they have changed from those of the 1990s? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How has the traditional family changed over the decades? Do you believe these changes are for the better or the worse? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the differences between experimentation with drugs and alcohol and abuse. What factors need to be considered? In what way is abuse detrimental?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)