|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heidi describe that occurs at weekly weigh-ins at her gymnastic club?
(a) The girls spend time vomiting
(b) The girls spend time counting ribs
(c) The girls spend time anorexic parties
(d) The girls spend time relaxation techniques
2. What do rules in absence of loving relationships inspire according to Dr. Pipher?
(a) It inspires alcoholism
(b) It inspires privacy
(c) It inspires rebellion
(d) It inspires lack of personal space
3. Self-mutilation is often used by girls to do which of the following?
(a) It is used to express outrage
(b) It is used to relieve stress and anxiety
(c) It is used to calm themselves
(d) It is used to punish parents
4. What does Dr. Pipher show girls they are able to cope with?
5. What was abundant during the 1950s?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is one of the skills upon which Dr. Pipher focuses?
2. At what age does Dr. Pipher indicate Cassie is facing the same issues that college girls of the past faced?
3. How many major sexual issues does Dr. Pipher say are facing girls in the 1990s?
4. Why does Penelope begin seeing Dr. Pipher?
5. What sustains June and allows her to become a strong woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the studies about eating disorders report about teens and women?
2. Describe what parts of society have different rules for sexual activity and how this affects girls?
3. Which two factors play a role in demonstrating the difference between normal experimentation among teenagers and an abusive situation that requires intervention?
4. What type of sexual assaults can be particularly traumatic to females?
5. Describe the concept of awakening therapy that Dr. Pipher teaches and what the outcomes of this theory may be for the girls.
6. How and why does Dr. Pipher describe the problems that highly gifted children experience?
7. What does Dr. Pipher list as the two reasons that girls feel pressure about their appearance during the adolescent years?
8. What are the three specific reasons Dr. Pipher lists that adolescents use chemicals?
9. What type of girl does Dr. Pipher describe as the type that tends to fare better during adolescence?
10. What event during her schooling was embarrassing for Dr. Pipher?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)