|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition for the term androgynous?
(b) Stereotypically developing
(c) Neither masculine nor feminine
2. Which of the following is not a descriptor of a healthy adult according to Broverman's study?
3. What is the second dimension according to Pipher?
(a) Cultural norms
(c) Parenting techniques
4. How does Dr. Pipher describe Polly's transformation?
(a) Natural development to forced development
(b) From force of nature to submissive follower
(c) From submissive follower to force of nature
(d) Masculine to feminine
5. Which of the following skills does Dr. Pipher stress girls, in particular, need to be encouraged to do?
(b) Think logically
(c) Celebrate their successes
(d) Rethink perfectionist beliefs
6. What is the overshadowing problem concerning Franchesca?
(a) Sexual promiscuity
(b) Lack of parental affect
(d) Drugs and alcohol
7. According to Dr. Pipher, how are relationships with mothers viewed?
(a) They are viewed as interesting
(b) They are viewed as growth-oriented
(c) They are viewed as independent
(d) They are viewed as dependent
8. When Hamlet rejects Ophelia for being obedient to her father what happens to her?
(a) She immediately drowns
(b) She leaves by running away
(c) She goes insane
(d) She reverts to her pre-adolescence personality
9. In what way do teens manipulate their parents?
(a) They provide additional stressors in their lives
(b) They pit them against each other
(c) They force them to reconcile
(d) They rebel until they get what they want
10. Which girls does Dr. Pipher indicate handle divorce the best?
(a) Those who do not have to change homes
(b) Those with a civil relationship
(c) Those with different economic circumstances
(d) Those who do not have to change peer relationships
11. What concerns Dr. Pipher about many of the children of divorce?
(a) It makes them turn to sexual promiscuity
(b) It makes them use drugs and alcohols
(c) It causes them to struggle to meet appropriate expectations
(d) They end up in single parent homes
12. From which category are many daughters raised who are more apt to like men?
13. Which of the following themes does not appear to be rooted in cultural ideals rather than personality development according to Dr. Pipher?
(a) Fear of rejection
(b) Parental relationships
(c) Need for perfection
(d) Preoccupation with weight
14. According to Dr. Pipher, adolescence requires daughters to distance themselves from who?
(a) The person with whom they are most closely identified
(b) Their parents
(c) Their siblings
(d) Their peers
15. Who or what does Miller hold responsible for the split between child and adult during adolescence?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miller believe elevates a child's "false" self?
2. Which group of adults does Dr. Pipher believe is the most well adjusted?
3. Who does Dr. Pipher say is often given the credit for raising strong daughters?
4. What does Pipher compare the goal of mass media to in relation to parents' goals of helping children stay happy and well adjusted?
5. What kind of standard does Dr. Pipher believe Americans have in relation to values and beliefs?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)