|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the types of father-daughter relationships Dr. Pipher describes?
2. Which comparison best describes the concept of young girls suppressing their true selves and trying to constantly please others?
(a) Flood waters continuing to rise
(b) Oil and water
(c) Saplings in a hurricane
(d) Fish hiding from predators
3. Which of the following terms best describes a young girl's emotional system?
4. What contradiction does Pipher describe in relation to what parents share with their children?
(a) Parents' values contradict media's messages
(b) Parents' ideals contradict society norms
(c) Parents' values contradict cultural stereotypes
(d) Parents' values contradict ideals
5. Which of the following finishes the following conflicting messages: Girls should be independent but _____________.
6. Which adjective best describes how Dr. Pipher believes divorce affects the lives of children?
(a) It shatters lives
(b) It does not affect them
(c) It relieves problems
(d) It surprises them
7. What is the overshadowing problem concerning Franchesca?
(a) Sexual promiscuity
(b) Drugs and alcohol
(d) Lack of parental affect
8. What percentage of families fits the traditional dynamic according to Pipher?
9. Which of the following was not used to describe the values of yesterday described in this chapter?
(a) They were patriarchal
(b) They were sexist
(c) They were unintroduced
(d) They were racist
10. Why does Dr. Pipher believe that Jessica continues to rebel even more?
(a) Parental smothering
(b) Her mother understands her behavior
(c) Too much independence
(d) Sexual harassment
11. How does Pipher define authenticity?
(a) Owning all experiences that are socially acceptable
(b) Owning all experiences
(c) Disowning all experiences
(d) Owning all experiences that are not traumatic
12. Which of the following best describes how girls perceive distant fathers as compared to mothers?
(a) More supportive
(b) More rigid
(c) More understanding
(d) More willing to listen
13. When Hamlet rejects Ophelia for being obedient to her father what happens to her?
(a) She immediately drowns
(b) She leaves by running away
(c) She reverts to her pre-adolescence personality
(d) She goes insane
14. What does Miller believe elevates a child's "false" self?
(a) Withdrawal from himself
(b) Denying his true self
(c) A sense of dissatisfaction
(d) Denouncing others' values
15. Which describes how many adolescents feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What speculation does Pipher make in relation to Jody and other teens being raised in more liberal households?
2. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how divorce makes adolescents feel?
3. What concerns Dr. Pipher about many of the children of divorce?
4. According to Dr. Pipher, how are relationships with fathers viewed?
5. Daughters are expected to love their mothers, but not to do which of the following?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)