|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not an example of surface structure?
(a) Internal struggle to find oneself
2. How does Pipher define authenticity?
(a) Owning all experiences that are not traumatic
(b) Owning all experiences
(c) Disowning all experiences
(d) Owning all experiences that are socially acceptable
3. Which of the following does not describe Cayenne as a young girl?
4. How does Dr. Pipher describe adolescent girls?
(b) Female impersonators
(c) Unrealistic girls
(d) Unpleasing souls
5. With what does Dr. Pipher believe adolescent girls have an enormous preoccupation in their own lives?
(a) Their cultural norms
(b) Their bodies
(c) Their peers
(d) Their parents
6. What does Pipher compare the goal of mass media to in relation to parents' goals of helping children stay happy and well adjusted?
(a) Energize society
(b) Make money
(c) Support society values
(d) Develop new techniques
7. What does Myra do to her parents?
(a) She ran away from home
(b) She rebels against them
(c) She drinks and does drugs with them
(d) She physically attacks them
8. In what way do teens manipulate their parents?
(a) They pit them against each other
(b) They provide additional stressors in their lives
(c) They rebel until they get what they want
(d) They force them to reconcile
9. Which of the following is the best definition for the term androgynous?
(b) Stereotypically developing
(c) Neither masculine nor feminine
10. Which comparison best describes the concept of young girls suppressing their true selves and trying to constantly please others?
(a) Oil and water
(b) Saplings in a hurricane
(c) Fish hiding from predators
(d) Flood waters continuing to rise
11. Which adjective best describes how Dr. Pipher believes divorce affects the lives of children?
(a) It does not affect them
(b) It surprises them
(c) It relieves problems
(d) It shatters lives
12. Which of the following best describes how girls perceive distant fathers as compared to mothers?
(a) More understanding
(b) More rigid
(c) More willing to listen
(d) More supportive
13. About how many children does Dr. Pipher indicate come from, or spend a part of, their childhood in a single parent home?
(a) Three fourths
(b) One fourth
(d) Seven Eighths
14. How does Dr. Pipher describe surface structure?
(a) What others can see
(b) Root cause of behavior
(c) Internal struggles
(d) Camouflage behavior
15. Which describes how many adolescents feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Pipher say is often given the credit for raising strong daughters?
2. Which of the following was not used to describe the values of yesterday described in this chapter?
3. Who or what does Miller hold responsible for the split between child and adult during adolescence?
4. Which of the following finishes the following conflicting messages: Girls should be independent but _____________.
5. What does Dr. Pipher compare girls of divorce to?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)