|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Worshiping the Gods of Thinness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the dreams of being paralyzed or being stuck in quicksand represent according to Pipher?
(a) Fighting forces beyond their control
(b) Struggle to search for their true self
(c) Fight for freedom from parental restrictions
(d) Struggle to gain independence
2. What speculation does Pipher make about girls who are raised to be open-minded and curious?
(a) They may be faced with too many choices
(b) They may be unsure of themselves
(c) They may be overwhelmed by the turmoil of adolescence
(d) They may be struggle more than others to find themselves
3. Why does Dr. Pipher believe that bright, sensitive girls are more at risk for problems?
(a) Women are too highly sexualized
(b) They are aware of the conflicting forces in their lives
(c) They are exposed to more anti-female writings
(d) They do not see enough realistic female role models
4. Why does Fay bring her daughter into therapy?
(a) Her daughter claims to be a lesbian
(b) Her daughter has requested the opportunity to go to therapy
(c) Her daughter has asked to be emancipated
(d) Her daughter has asked to move out
5. What do psychologists study to determine the best parenting techniques?
(b) Research studies
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition of vibrancy as described by Miller?
2. What speculation does Pipher make in relation to Jody and other teens being raised in more liberal households?
3. How does Pipher define authenticity?
4. Which type of girl is usually a perfectionist?
5. What type of student is Whitney?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)