|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carol says that ________ thinks it would be a good idea if they all went to dinner together.
2. Spending time in __________ reminded Bernie that sometimes the present is all that's important.
3. Carol doesn't understand Bernie would be worried about ______________ her.
4. Where did Bernie's boss go in order to try to get his dismissal reversed, even though he was unsuccessful?
5. What is the most important institution in America, according to Carol, as she shares her feelings with Bernie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernie suggests that he and Carol go for a walk, like they did when she was a child.
Part 1: Why do you think that Bernie is suddenly sentimental?
Part 2: Do you think a father and daughter can ever recapture the way things were? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Bernie and Carol will create a relationship? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Bernie points out that everything has a price, even happiness, as he talks to Carol during their visit.
Part 1: Do you agree that everything has a price? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think happiness should come with a price tag? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think Bernie is trying to tell Carol about happiness? And why?
Essay Topic 3
Bernie lets Carol know that he will do whatever she wants when she isn't sure whether to have dinner with her father by herself or including Gerry.
Part 1: Why do you think Carol is confused about how to eat dinner with her father?
Part 2: Do you think it would be a good idea for Gerry to be at dinner with Carol and her father? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Bernie wants to do whatever Carol wants to do?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)