|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bernie finds out that Gerry fought in a war, what does he ask Carol if Gerry does?
2. Spending time in __________ reminded Bernie that sometimes the present is all that's important.
3. Bernie points out that he's not asking Carol to ___________ when he talks about how angry he was.
4. What happens to cause the wreck with the car, according to the story of Bernie?
5. What does Carol ask Bernie for when they are discussing their times near Horace Mann School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernie tells Carol how attractive she is, again and again, as though he can't believe it.
Part 1: Why do you think Bernie believes it's important to tell Carol she's good looking?
Part 2: How do you think you would have responded if your father from a long time ago told you that you were attractive?
Part 3: How do you think Carol feels about Bernie's compliments? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Bernie suggests that he and Carol go for a walk, like they did when she was a child.
Part 1: Why do you think that Bernie is suddenly sentimental?
Part 2: Do you think a father and daughter can ever recapture the way things were? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Bernie and Carol will create a relationship? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bernie shares a story about how he crashed his car once night when drinking.
Part 1: Why do you think Bernie decided to tell Carol this story?
Part 2: Do you think it was a good idea for Bernie to tell Carol this story about the car?
Part 3: What does this story about the accident with the car tell the viewer or the reader about Bernie?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)