|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jewelry makes the person who receives it feel like they have to ________________.
2. Bernie tries to explain his question to Carol: "Not that I was sure how you'd feel about _____________..."
3. Carol says that coming from a ____________ is what has caused troubles in her life with Gerry.
4. Bernie apologizes that the ______________ on the gift is wrong. That was not his intention.
5. What is helping to ensure that Bernie is doing okay with the money he's making at the time of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernie points out that everything has a price, even happiness, as he talks to Carol during their visit.
Part 1: Do you agree that everything has a price? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think happiness should come with a price tag? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think Bernie is trying to tell Carol about happiness? And why?
Essay Topic 2
Bernie shares a story about how he crashed his car once night when drinking.
Part 1: Why do you think Bernie decided to tell Carol this story?
Part 2: Do you think it was a good idea for Bernie to tell Carol this story about the car?
Part 3: What does this story about the accident with the car tell the viewer or the reader about Bernie?
Essay Topic 3
The small talk that Bernie and Carol share works to help them both feel polite and comfortable with each other.
Part 1: Why do you think small talk is so important in society?
Part 2: How do you think Bernie and Carol should interact? Or are they doing things 'right' at the beginning?
Part 3: Why do you think people feel they have to be polite about the other's living arrangements?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)