|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernie talks about how he is ___________ when he is talking with Carol in this scene.
2. Bernie says that getting back to nature is the same kind of thing he used to do when he was ___________.
3. _____________ says that he would have recognized her anywhere at the start of the play.
4. Carol comments that he has a lot of ______________, which Bernie agrees and says that he always has.
5. "It's a ________ home, you know?" says Carol when she's talking about where she lives.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the date on the gift incorrect, according to Bernie, when he gives it to Carol?
2. What does Bernie think of people who talk about living in the country, according to his own admission?
3. What does Bernie answer when Carol talks about having a lot of friends in her life?
4. What does Carol attribute her good looks to, according to what she says in their conversation?
5. What do Carol and Bernie both admit to each other when they talk at the start of this scene?
6. What does Bernie think Carol will think of his plan to call her when she was younger?
7. What does Bernie say when Carol compliments him on how he looks as they meet for one of the first times?
8. What does Bernie say when Carol asks him if he is working that night during this scene?
9. What is Bernie's reaction to Carol's comment about him being wasted at the restaurant?
10. What are Carol and Gerry talking about, that she shares with Bernie as they are talking together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernie shares a story about how he crashed his car once night when drinking.
Part 1: Why do you think Bernie decided to tell Carol this story?
Part 2: Do you think it was a good idea for Bernie to tell Carol this story about the car?
Part 3: What does this story about the accident with the car tell the viewer or the reader about Bernie?
Essay Topic 2
Carol admits that she's been lonely and that's why she's tried to track down Bernie.
Part 1: Why do you think Carol is suddenly lonely in her life?
Part 2: Do you think that Carol should have handled her loneliness by reaching out to a father she's never really known? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you handle loneliness? What do you do to make yourself feel better?
Essay Topic 3
Bernie wants to know what Carol's intentions are for talking with him and being interested in his life.
Part 1: Why do you think Carol suddenly wants to know more about her father?
Part 2: Do you think you would want to know more about a father who'd been out of your life? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Bernie is suspicious of Carol's intentions?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)