|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernie shrugs off the ____________ of the previous scene and continues with the conversation.
2. Carol ___________ about agreeing with the idea that she is happy at her job.
3. Bernie says that he knows Carol's mother had another daughter, named _____________.
4. Who decorated Bernie's apartment, according to him, when Carol comments about it?
5. Bernie talks about not having to go look for someone to help him ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bernie start doing that Carol tells him he doesn't have to do during their visit?
2. What does Bernie suggest he and Carol do in order to continue their conversation?
3. Why can't Bernie quite understand why he got fired from his phone company job?
4. How did Carol find Bernie, according to her when she and Bernie are talking in his apartment?
5. What does Bernie say when Carol asks Bernie if he feels she is entitled to having a father in her life?
6. What kind of worker did Bernie see himself as when he was working for the phone company?
7. What is another reason Carol gives for wanting to see and to talk with Bernie?
8. What does Bernie reveal about Carol's other siblings who came after her mother and father divorced?
9. What is the story behind Carol finally being able to find Bernie where he's living now?
10. Who decorated Bernie's apartment, according to his own admission when Carol comments on it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The small talk that Bernie and Carol share works to help them both feel polite and comfortable with each other.
Part 1: Why do you think small talk is so important in society?
Part 2: How do you think Bernie and Carol should interact? Or are they doing things 'right' at the beginning?
Part 3: Why do you think people feel they have to be polite about the other's living arrangements?
Essay Topic 2
Carol points out that AA helped her track down her father, though it would seem that AA would try to keep their members anonymous.
Part 1: Why do you think AA would have helped Carol find her father?
Part 2: If someone had found you through AA, how might you have reacted? Why?
Part 3: Do you think anonymity is important to those in AA? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bernie lets Carol know that he will do whatever she wants when she isn't sure whether to have dinner with her father by herself or including Gerry.
Part 1: Why do you think Carol is confused about how to eat dinner with her father?
Part 2: Do you think it would be a good idea for Gerry to be at dinner with Carol and her father? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Bernie wants to do whatever Carol wants to do?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)