|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carol tells Bernie that he's wasted at the ____________ where he currently works.
2. Bernie thinks Carol should work wherever she wants as long as she is ____________ at her job.
3. Bernie tells Carol that she needs to find out about the _________ of the world for herself.
4. Carol thinks she's gotten her good looks from her _____________, and she tells him so.
5. Carol used to think her father was the ____________ man she ever met in her life.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bernie say when Carol asks Bernie if he feels she is entitled to having a father in her life?
2. What has reminded Bernie of the idea that the present is more important than the past or the future?
3. What is happening between two characters at the start of the play when the first scene begins?
4. Why can't Bernie quite understand why he got fired from his phone company job?
5. What does Bernie answer when Carol talks about having a lot of friends in her life?
6. Who decorated Bernie's apartment, according to his own admission when Carol comments on it?
7. What did the boss Bernie had at the phone company do for him after the accident?
8. What did Bernie admit to envisioning for his and Carol's first meeting together?
9. Why did Bernie get fired from the phone company, according to the story Bernie relates at the start of the chapter?
10. What does Bernie come out and ask Carol at the start of this scene, though it's been asked before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carol admits that she's been lonely and that's why she's tried to track down Bernie.
Part 1: Why do you think Carol is suddenly lonely in her life?
Part 2: Do you think that Carol should have handled her loneliness by reaching out to a father she's never really known? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you handle loneliness? What do you do to make yourself feel better?
Essay Topic 2
Bernie seems to have gone on with his life, marrying and having another child after leaving Carol and her mother.
Part 1: Do you think it's a good thing that Bernie tells Carol the truth? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that Bernie should have continued on with his life as if nothing had happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Carol's life might have been if her father had stayed?
Essay Topic 3
Carol is insistent that Bernie be her father and not her friend. She wants him to be a hero in her eyes.
Part 1: Why do you think being friends with Bernie would not be a good idea for Carol?
Part 2: Why do you think Carol wants Bernie to be a father for her?
Part 3: Do you think that older adult children and their parents can be parent and child again? Why or why not?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)