|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carol admit to working when Bernie asks her about this part of her life?
2. Bernie comments that ___________ might be one of those people who actually means it when they go to church.
3. Bernie tells Carol not to focus on all of the ___________ the way he did for so long.
4. Bernie welcomes ______________ in his apartment at the start of the play.
5. What was Bernie's position when he was in the army, though he says those in this position don't generally last long?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Carol used to think of Bernie's good looks when she was younger?
2. What do Carol and Bernie both admit to each other when they talk at the start of this scene?
3. What did the boss Bernie had at the phone company do for him after the accident?
4. What does Bernie start doing that Carol tells him he doesn't have to do during their visit?
5. What does Bernie say about the opinion Carol has about her marriage and why it is the way it is?
6. What does Bernie reveal about Carol's other siblings who came after her mother and father divorced?
7. What is Bernie doing in the picture that Carol is looking at when the scene opens?
8. What is Bernie's reaction to Carol's comment about him being wasted at the restaurant?
9. What does Carol admit is the source of her current unhappiness in her life?
10. What happened after the incident with the telephone pole in the story Bernie shares?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carol slowly reveals details about her life with Gerry as she is talking to her father.
Part 1: Why do you think Carol decides to talk about Gerry so quickly?
Part 2: Do you think Carol and Gerry have a good relationship? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think you would have talked about your spouse with a father you just met? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Bernie wants to know what Carol's intentions are for talking with him and being interested in his life.
Part 1: Why do you think Carol suddenly wants to know more about her father?
Part 2: Do you think you would want to know more about a father who'd been out of your life? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Bernie is suspicious of Carol's intentions?
Essay Topic 3
The army memorabilia makes Carol smile as she thinks of her father as a hero figure.
Part 1: Why do you think Carol can still think of her father as a hero figure?
Part 2: Do you think it's impressive that Carol's father was in the army? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Carol wanted her dad to be when she was growing up?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)