|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carol suggests that she and Bernie renew their ____________ when they are talking to each other.
2. Who decorated Bernie's apartment, according to him, when Carol comments about it?
3. _____________ imagined some sort of intense drama when they finally met up.
4. Carol is talking about buying a _____________ with Gerry in the coming months.
5. Bernie welcomes ______________ in his apartment at the start of the play.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bernie say that Carol should focus on in her life, according to his own opinion?
2. What kind of worker did Bernie see himself as when he was working for the phone company?
3. How did Carol find Bernie, according to her when she and Bernie are talking in his apartment?
4. What are Carol and Gerry talking about, that she shares with Bernie as they are talking together?
5. What is the joke that Bernie makes about the gift he presents to Carol in this scene?
6. Why did Bernie chew out a young lieutenant when he was in the military, according to his side of the story?
7. On what day did Bernie plan to call Carol when she was younger, according to his admission in this scene?
8. Where was Bernie working during the time of the story he tells during this scene of the play?
9. What happened after the incident with the telephone pole in the story Bernie shares?
10. What is Bernie doing in the picture that Carol is looking at when the scene opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernie explains that everyone used to drink on the phone company job every now and then.
Part 1: Why do you think Bernie tells Carol that everyone used to drink where he worked?
Part 2: Does the fact that everyone else drank excuse Bernie's behavior? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Bernie's life have turned out if that accident hadn't happened?
Essay Topic 2
Bernie points out that everything has a price, even happiness, as he talks to Carol during their visit.
Part 1: Do you agree that everything has a price? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think happiness should come with a price tag? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think Bernie is trying to tell Carol about happiness? And why?
Essay Topic 3
Bernie tells Carol how attractive she is, again and again, as though he can't believe it.
Part 1: Why do you think Bernie believes it's important to tell Carol she's good looking?
Part 2: How do you think you would have responded if your father from a long time ago told you that you were attractive?
Part 3: How do you think Carol feels about Bernie's compliments? Why?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)