|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carol ___________ about agreeing with the idea that she is happy at her job.
2. Bernie talks about not having to go look for someone to help him ___________.
3. Who does Bernie want to learn more about, though Carol tries to avoid it?
4. Bernie welcomes ______________ in his apartment at the start of the play.
5. Who admits they quit smoking a few years ago so they know how hard it is to do so?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story behind Carol finally being able to find Bernie where he's living now?
2. What are some of the things Bernie says make him a happy man in his life?
3. Why does Carol think she feels lonely and cheated in her life, according to her own admission?
4. What did Bernie get for Carol as he presents the gift to her at the start of the scene?
5. What did Carol used to think of Bernie's good looks when she was younger?
6. What does Carol say she does for a living at the start of this scene?
7. What kind of worker did Bernie see himself as when he was working for the phone company?
8. What do Carol and Bernie both admit to each other when they talk at the start of this scene?
9. What did Bernie do to his car when he went to the holiday party during the story he shares with Carol?
10. What is another reason Carol gives for wanting to see and to talk with Bernie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernie suggests that he and Carol go for a walk, like they did when she was a child.
Part 1: Why do you think that Bernie is suddenly sentimental?
Part 2: Do you think a father and daughter can ever recapture the way things were? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Bernie and Carol will create a relationship? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Like a father, Bernie points out that Carol smokes too much and that she should quit because he did.
Part 1: Do you think that being a father is something that comes naturally? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think you would have reacted if Bernie had told you to stop a longtime habit of yours?
Part 3: Why do you think Bernie felt the need to tell Carol what to do?
Essay Topic 3
Bernie seems to have gone on with his life, marrying and having another child after leaving Carol and her mother.
Part 1: Do you think it's a good thing that Bernie tells Carol the truth? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that Bernie should have continued on with his life as if nothing had happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Carol's life might have been if her father had stayed?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)