|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bernie's last name according to the notes at the start of the play?
2. What does Carol say she wants when Bernie asks her what she wants by coming to see him?
3. Bernie thinks Carol should work wherever she wants as long as she is ____________ at her job.
4. What does the acronym VA stand for when it is mentioned in this opening scene of the play?
5. "It's a ________ home, you know?" says Carol when she's talking about where she lives.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bernie do after Carol remarks again about how nice Bernie's place is?
2. What happened after the incident with the telephone pole in the story Bernie shares?
3. During what holiday does the story Bernie tells in this scene take place as he is sharing the story with Carol?
4. Why is the date on the gift incorrect, according to Bernie, when he gives it to Carol?
5. What does Carol describe as the most important institution in America when she is talking with Bernie?
6. Why does Carol think she feels lonely and cheated in her life, according to her own admission?
7. What does Bernie suggest he and Carol do in order to continue their conversation?
8. Why did Bernie chew out a young lieutenant when he was in the military, according to his side of the story?
9. Who is the other person besides himself that took care of Bernie, according to Bernie's recollection?
10. What is the story behind Carol finally being able to find Bernie where he's living now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernie defines himself as a happy man with a good job and good friends.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of a good life?
Part 2: Do you think that Bernie is happy with his life? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Bernie told Carol that he has a happy life?
Essay Topic 2
The meeting of a parent after not having met them your entire life must be an awkward situation.
Part 1: How do you think Carol first feels when she walks in and meets Bernie?
Part 2: How do you think Bernie feels when Carol walks in for the first time to meet him?
Part 3: How much you have felt if you were in Carol's position, walking in to meet a father you've never known?
Essay Topic 3
Carol makes the statement that she thinks coming from a broken home has affected her marriage.
Part 1: Do you agree that Carol came from a broken home? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think a broken home might lead to a broken marriage?
Part 3: How do you think the broken home history of Carol has affected her marriage?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)