|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what is Clym concerned?
(a) That Thomasin will leave him.
(b) That Diggory is not in love with Thomasin.
(c) That Thomasin is falling in love with Clym.
(d) That he is falling in love with Thomasin.
2. Why does Clym blame Eustacia completely for his mother's death?
(a) He was asleep at the time his mother arrived.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He hates Eustacia.
(d) It was her fault.
3. Where does Eustacia allow herself to go?
(a) Back to her grandfather's home.
(b) To Mrs. Yeobright for advice.
(c) The local outdoor dance.
(d) To Paris on her own.
4. What is the date of the bonfire?
(a) November 5.
(b) December 5.
(c) November 31.
(d) October 31.
5. In what is Thomasin intrigued?
(a) Whether he likes her or not.
(b) The purpose of the maypole.
(c) Why Diggory is in town.
(d) The identity of the girl that captured Diggory's heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Yeobright get tired?
2. What does Clym admit to Thomasin?
3. What career change has Diggory made?
4. Why does Wildeve withdraw from Eustacia?
5. How does Clym react when he realizes Eustacia is to blame for his mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fire act as a signal?
2. How has Diggory changed upon his return to the heath two years later?
3. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
4. Why do Mrs. Yeobright and Eustacia exchange angry words?
5. What is Susan Nunsuch doing?
6. Why are the locals making a mattress?
7. What happens in the water in the dam?
8. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money she sent him on his wedding day?
9. Why does Clym write a letter to Eustacia?
10. What has happened to Mrs. Yeobright?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)