|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Clym singing?
(a) He is content with working as a furze-cutter.
(b) He loves to sing.
(c) It is Eustacia's favorite song.
(d) He has found a job as a singing telegram.
2. How does Diggory's change of occupation affect his relationship with Thomasin?
(a) She is nervous around him.
(b) He is now a suitable match.
(c) He is like a stranger to her.
(d) She finds him less attractive.
3. What happens when Thomasin visits Clym?
(a) She gives him his portion of the inheritance.
(b) She says how much she detests Eustacia.
(c) She tells him she loves him.
(d) She finds out Eustacia is leaving him.
4. What does Clym admit to Thomasin?
(a) He no longer loves Eustacia.
(b) He loves Thomasin.
(c) He is still in love with Eustacia.
(d) He is leaving for Paris.
5. What does Eustacia ask her grandfather?
(a) If she may keep house for him.
(b) If she may stay in her old room.
(c) If she and Clym may move in with him.
(d) If he will help her divorce Clym.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clym find waiting?
2. Why does Mrs. Yeobright get tired?
3. Why must Mrs. Yeobright cross the heath?
4. How does Thomasin surprise Clym?
5. Who feels responsible for the entire tragedy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Thomasin worried about marrying Diggory? How is it resolved?
2. What takes place at Blooms-End?
3. What happens to Clym's letter?
4. How does Eustacia react when Clym confronts her?
5. Why is Mrs. Yeobright never let in the house?
6. Why does Clym not attend the wedding?
7. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
8. Why does Clym become a preacher?
9. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money she sent him on his wedding day?
10. Why does Mrs. Yeobright have a difficult time getting to Clym's home?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)