|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Merivel treat Pearce?
2. Why does Merivel want to cure Katherine?
3. What do the female patients do for exercise?
4. How does Merivel celebrate his birthday when Katherine is pregnant?
5. What game does the King make Merivel play with him when Merivel answers the King's summons?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merivel feel about Pearce?
2. How does Merivel react to Katherine's death?
3. How does Merivel react to Piepold?
4. How does the King feel about Merivel, after time has passed?
5. How does Merivel feel about Bath?
6. What is Merivel able to do at the funeral that he could not do while Pearce was alive?
7. What does Merivel offer Finn?
8. What does Pearce wonder about flowers?
9. What news does the King give Merivel when Merivel answers the summons?
10. Describe Edmund's dreams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss loyalty in the novel.
1) Who is Merivel loyal to in the novel? Does Merivel remain loyal to the King? Why does Merivel lie to Celia about the King's message?
2) Are the characters loyal to themselves? In what ways? What happens when a character is disloyal, to himself or to another?
3) What is the relationship between loyalty and love? Can loyalty in the novel exist without love?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss poverty and social class in the novel.
1) What different social strata exist in the novel? What determines what social class the people in the novel live in?
2) What allows characters in the novel to change social status, for better or worse? Why?
3) How does Merivel treat people of different social classes?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the novel do not always have an accurate perception of themselves or of others around them. Discuss the characters' perceptions of themselves and others.
1) How does Merivel perceive himself? Is his self-perception accurate? How does Merivel perceive the King over the course of the story? How does he perceive Celia? How does he perceive Pearce? What causes Merivel's perception of himself or others to change?
2) What is Katherine's perception of Merivel? Why does she have this perception? How does Merivel react to it?
3) How does Pearce perceive Merivel? How does the King's perception of Merivel differ from Pearce's?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)