|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the dance rescheduled?
2. How are the most insane patients kept?
3. What happens when Merivel tries to catch up with Piepold's relatives?
4. What calms Katherine down?
5. How many games does Merivel win?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will feel about his master leaving?
2. How does Merivel feel about Bath?
3. How does Merivel feel about Pearce?
4. What does Pearce wonder about flowers?
5. Who makes up the staff of Whittlesea Hospital?
6. What punishment did Finn get for arguing with the King?
7. What prompts Katherine to try to hang herself?
8. How does Katherine react to the world outside the hospital?
9. What does the staff of the hospital decide to do because of the plague?
10. How are the most insane patients treated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merivel experiences different types of lives in the novel. He lives in the King's Court. He lives in a manor as a Lord. He also lives in a mental hospital, and in Cheapside, an impoverished area of London. In these different ways of life, Merivel finds differnt kinds of fulfillment and happiness. Discuss fulfillment and happiness in the novel.
1) Where is Merivel most fulfilled and happiness? Why?
2) Compare Merivel's happiness in the presence of the King to his happiness in the presence of Pearce. What different types of fulfillment do Merivel's most valued friends provide him?
3) How does Merivel's perception of what will make him happy change over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the novel do not always have an accurate perception of themselves or of others around them. Discuss the characters' perceptions of themselves and others.
1) How does Merivel perceive himself? Is his self-perception accurate? How does Merivel perceive the King over the course of the story? How does he perceive Celia? How does he perceive Pearce? What causes Merivel's perception of himself or others to change?
2) What is Katherine's perception of Merivel? Why does she have this perception? How does Merivel react to it?
3) How does Pearce perceive Merivel? How does the King's perception of Merivel differ from Pearce's?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters' control over their own lives in the novel.
1) How does a character's birth and family affect his or her life in the novel? Can a character change the course of his or her life?
2) How does chance and fate affect the characters' lives in the novel?
3) How do characters control their own lives and futures in the novel, and to what extent?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)