|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does the Justice of the Peace give to Merivel?
2. What did Finn buy for his interview with the King?
3. What does Merivel order from Trench?
4. What has happened to Merivel's dog while he was away?
5. Who does Celia love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merivel set about the job given to him by the Justice of the Peace?
2. How does Merivel get into Celia's room?
3. What does Merivel think about his promise as an artist before he begins trying to paint?
4. What is Merivel's response to the King summoning him with a letter?
5. What is Merivel's job at the palace?
6. What is Merivel's reaction to the letter about Rosie?
7. Describe what Finn tells Merivel about the present Finn brings.
8. What does Merivel fantasize about while he's having sex with Violet?
9. Why has Celia come to the mansion?
10. What does Celia look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss rulership and leadership in the novel.
1) The novel centers around King Charles II. What kind of a ruler is he? What qualities make the King a good or a bad leader of his kingdom?
2) What kind of leaders are the Quakers who run the mental hospital? Are they good leaders or bad leaders? How do they make decisions for the people that they govern and care for?
3) What kind of a leader is Merivel? In what instances does Merivel take on a leadership role? Why, and who does he lead? How successful is he?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the novel do not always have an accurate perception of themselves or of others around them. Discuss the characters' perceptions of themselves and others.
1) How does Merivel perceive himself? Is his self-perception accurate? How does Merivel perceive the King over the course of the story? How does he perceive Celia? How does he perceive Pearce? What causes Merivel's perception of himself or others to change?
2) What is Katherine's perception of Merivel? Why does she have this perception? How does Merivel react to it?
3) How does Pearce perceive Merivel? How does the King's perception of Merivel differ from Pearce's?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the characters in the novel, and how the characters assign value to both material and immaterial things.
1) Discuss the valuation of the "nightingale." What gives it value to Merivel, Pearce, and Celia. Why?
2) How do the characters value immaterial things, such as love, friendship, family, tradition, and religion? What role do immaterial things play in the characters' lives?
3) How do the characters value other people? What is this valuation based on?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)