Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Merivel learn traveled this way before?
2. Who does Celia love?
3. What reason does Merivel give Celia for coming to the roof?
4. How does Merivel think the King feels about him?
5. What does Merivel's painting instructor want Merivel to get him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with Lady Bathurst's husband?
2. What does the King advise Merivel to do with his life?
3. How does Merivel imagine the representation of his astrological sign?
4. What prompts Katherine to try to hang herself?
5. How does Merivel react to Piepold?
6. What news does the King give Merivel when Merivel answers the summons?
7. What happened to the new owner of Bidnold?
8. What is Merivel's reaction to the letter about Rosie?
9. What is Merivel's life like after the fire?
10. Describe what Finn tells Merivel about the present Finn brings.
Discuss fate in the novel.
1) Is Merivel in control of his own destiny? How is Merivel governed by fate in the novel?
2) What determines the fates of the rich and the poor in the novel? Why do characters seem to lack control over their own destinies?
3) Discuss Merivel's rescue of the woman from the burning building. Is Merivel a hero for having saved the woman? How is this incident governed by fate? How does Merivel benefit from it?
Both Merivel and other characters have meaningful dreams in the novel. Discuss the meaning of dreams throughout the novel.
1) Merivel dreams of the King. Is the King of Merivel's dreams the King he knows in life, or does the King represent something different in Merivel's dreams?
2) What does Merivel learn from his dreams? What could Merivel learn that he is not recognizing?
3) What meanings do other characters dreams have? Why does the Quaker hospital worker dream of God, and what do his dreams mean to him?
Religion and the presence of God is a strong motif throughout the novel. Discuss religion in the novel.
1) Compare the King to God. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What relationship do the Quakers at the mental hospital have with God? What affect does this relationship have on Merivel?
3) What relationship does Merivel have with God and religion?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)