|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Merivel visit after leaving Whitehall?
2. What problem does Merivel have while painting Meg?
3. How long is Merivel with his bride before being interrupted on his wedding night?
4. Where is Merivel's painting instructor living?
5. What does Merivel give to Degeulasse de Gourly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Reverend Sackpole want Merivel to examine Nell?
2. What does Merivel think about his promise as an artist before he begins trying to paint?
3. What is Merivel's response to the King summoning him with a letter?
4. What is the distinction between the Idle and the Impotent?
5. How does Merivel feel about life at the palace?
6. Explain the metaphor in the story that Pearce tells Merivel.
7. What does the King tell Merivel in his dream?
8. What is wrong with Lady Bathurst's husband?
9. What does Merivel tell the King after drinking the tampered wine?
10. Describe what Pearce tells Merivel about the present Finn brings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of medicine in the novel.
1) Why does the author choose the medical field as Merivel's profession? What does his desire to be a doctor say about his personality? What is the role of a doctor in a society?
2) How effective is Merivel as a doctor? What qualities does Merivel have that make him a good or bad doctor? How much control does Merivel have over how effective a doctor he is?
Essay Topic 2
Merivel experiences different types of lives in the novel. He lives in the King's Court. He lives in a manor as a Lord. He also lives in a mental hospital, and in Cheapside, an impoverished area of London. In these different ways of life, Merivel finds differnt kinds of fulfillment and happiness. Discuss fulfillment and happiness in the novel.
1) Where is Merivel most fulfilled and happiness? Why?
2) Compare Merivel's happiness in the presence of the King to his happiness in the presence of Pearce. What different types of fulfillment do Merivel's most valued friends provide him?
3) How does Merivel's perception of what will make him happy change over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss fate in the novel.
1) Is Merivel in control of his own destiny? How is Merivel governed by fate in the novel?
2) What determines the fates of the rich and the poor in the novel? Why do characters seem to lack control over their own destinies?
3) Discuss Merivel's rescue of the woman from the burning building. Is Merivel a hero for having saved the woman? How is this incident governed by fate? How does Merivel benefit from it?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)