|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Merivel when Celia arrives?
2. What is Merivel supposed to do for the Idle?
3. What is the name of the medicine that Merivel gives the bird when it is sick?
4. What does Merivel tell Celia the King wants her to learn?
5. What does Merivel ask for in his letter to the King?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merivel set about the job given to him by the Justice of the Peace?
2. What is wrong with Lady Bathurst's husband?
3. Describe what Pearce tells Merivel about the present Finn brings.
4. Describe what Finn tells Merivel about the present Finn brings.
5. What does Merivel find when he returns home?
6. How does Merivel feel about life at the palace?
7. What is Merivel's job at the palace?
8. How does Merivel's message to Celia differ from what the King told him to say?
9. What is Merivel's reaction to the letter about Rosie?
10. What does Merivel do after he leaves Celia on their wedding night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merivel is the central character of the novel, and much of the novel revolves around Merivel and his personal perceptions and growth. Discuss Merivel as a character.
1) What are Merivel's primary personality traits at the beginning of the novel? How did those traits develop?
2) How does Merivel change over the course of the novel? How does living at the mental hospital and among the poor in Cheapside affect him?
3) What is Merivel's personality like at the end of the novel? In what ways is he still the same, and in what ways has he changed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss fate in the novel.
1) Is Merivel in control of his own destiny? How is Merivel governed by fate in the novel?
2) What determines the fates of the rich and the poor in the novel? Why do characters seem to lack control over their own destinies?
3) Discuss Merivel's rescue of the woman from the burning building. Is Merivel a hero for having saved the woman? How is this incident governed by fate? How does Merivel benefit from it?
Essay Topic 3
Religion and the presence of God is a strong motif throughout the novel. Discuss religion in the novel.
1) Compare the King to God. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What relationship do the Quakers at the mental hospital have with God? What affect does this relationship have on Merivel?
3) What relationship does Merivel have with God and religion?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)