|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lady Bathurst react to Celia moving into the mansion?
2. Who does Merivel miss, alone in his mansion?
3. What kind of salary does Merivel make?
4. Who is present at every meeting between Merivel and Celia when they are courting?
5. Why does Rosie want thirty shillings from Merivel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Merivel's response to the King summoning him with a letter?
2. How does Celia act during her meetings with Merivel before the wedding?
3. What does Merivel do after he leaves Celia on their wedding night?
4. What is wrong with Lady Bathurst's husband?
5. What does Merivel fantasize about while he's having sex with Violet?
6. Why does Degeulasse de Gourly come to visit Merivel?
7. What is Merivel's reaction to the letter about Rosie?
8. Explain the metaphor in the story that Pearce tells Merivel.
9. What does the King tell Merivel in his dream?
10. What does Celia look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the novel do not always have an accurate perception of themselves or of others around them. Discuss the characters' perceptions of themselves and others.
1) How does Merivel perceive himself? Is his self-perception accurate? How does Merivel perceive the King over the course of the story? How does he perceive Celia? How does he perceive Pearce? What causes Merivel's perception of himself or others to change?
2) What is Katherine's perception of Merivel? Why does she have this perception? How does Merivel react to it?
3) How does Pearce perceive Merivel? How does the King's perception of Merivel differ from Pearce's?
Essay Topic 2
Power is a defining element in relationships in the novel. Discuss power in the novel.
1) What gives characters power over others in the novel?
2) What gives the King power, and what are the limits of the King's power? How does the King use his power?
3) What kind of power does Merivel have as a doctor and as an associate of the King in the novel? How does he use this power?
Essay Topic 3
Love is an important element of Merivel's relationships with others. Discuss love in the novel.
1) Who does Merivel love and why? What is his love for the King based on? What is his love for Pearce based on? What is his love for Celia based on? Does Merivel truly love any of these characters?
2) Who loves Merivel, and why? What is Katherine's love for Merivel based on? What is Merivel's servant's love for him based on? Does Merivel return any of the other characters' love?
3) How does love between the characters govern their actions in the novel?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)