|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Celia say that she did, when she found out Merivel was the one chosen to be her husband?
2. What does Merivel study in college?
3. How is Merivel's playing?
4. What is Merivel supposed to do for the Idle?
5. What collection does the King show Merivel and his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merivel tell Finn when Finn asks for the favor?
2. What happened to the new owner of Bidnold?
3. Why does Degeulasse de Gourly come to visit Merivel?
4. What does Merivel think about when he visits Kaw?
5. What does Merivel do after he leaves Celia on their wedding night?
6. How does Celia act during her meetings with Merivel before the wedding?
7. Why doesn't Merivel try to treat his dog himself?
8. What does the staff of the hospital decide to do because of the plague?
9. What does Merivel think of his first attempts at painting?
10. Explain what the King hopes to gain by having Merivel marry Celia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, responsibility is an important theme. The King holds the responsibility for his kingdom and its people. Parents hold responsibility for their children; lords hold responsibility for peasants and servants. People are responsible for their animals. Discuss responsibility in the novel.
1) What is the relationship of power and responsibility in the novel? What are the consequences for the powerful of neglecting their responsibilities?
2) How do the characters in the novel take responsibility for their own lives? To what extend are the characters capable of being responsible for their own lives and destinies?
3) When and why do characters take responsibility for others?
Essay Topic 2
Love is an important element of Merivel's relationships with others. Discuss love in the novel.
1) Who does Merivel love and why? What is his love for the King based on? What is his love for Pearce based on? What is his love for Celia based on? Does Merivel truly love any of these characters?
2) Who loves Merivel, and why? What is Katherine's love for Merivel based on? What is Merivel's servant's love for him based on? Does Merivel return any of the other characters' love?
3) How does love between the characters govern their actions in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Characters in the novel suffer in different ways and for different reasons. Discuss suffering in the novel.
1) One goal of medicine is to alleviate suffering. How does Merivel try to mitigate suffering as a doctor? How successful is he?
2) How do the poor suffer in the novel? Could their suffering be alleviated? Can one person, such as Merivel, help the poor, or would they need to be helped by changing the society?
3) How do the insane suffer in the novel? What causes their suffering? How can their suffering be alleviated?
This section contains 2,218 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)