|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merivel order from Trench?
2. What demand did Celia make on the King?
3. What does Celia say that she did, when she found out Merivel was the one chosen to be her husband?
4. What is Merivel's father's profession?
5. What does the King plan to do about his affair with Celia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the King hopes to gain by having Merivel marry Celia.
2. What is Merivel's life like after the fire?
3. Who makes up the staff of Whittlesea Hospital?
4. How does Merivel treat Katherine on their journey?
5. Explain the metaphor in the story that Pearce tells Merivel.
6. How does Merivel feel about Pearce?
7. How does Merivel react to Katherine's death?
8. How does the King feel about Merivel, after time has passed?
9. What does Merivel think about his promise as an artist before he begins trying to paint?
10. What is wrong with Lady Bathurst's husband?
Essay Topic 1
Merivel experiences different types of lives in the novel. He lives in the King's Court. He lives in a manor as a Lord. He also lives in a mental hospital, and in Cheapside, an impoverished area of London. In these different ways of life, Merivel finds differnt kinds of fulfillment and happiness. Discuss fulfillment and happiness in the novel.
1) Where is Merivel most fulfilled and happiness? Why?
2) Compare Merivel's happiness in the presence of the King to his happiness in the presence of Pearce. What different types of fulfillment do Merivel's most valued friends provide him?
3) How does Merivel's perception of what will make him happy change over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss fate in the novel.
1) Is Merivel in control of his own destiny? How is Merivel governed by fate in the novel?
2) What determines the fates of the rich and the poor in the novel? Why do characters seem to lack control over their own destinies?
3) Discuss Merivel's rescue of the woman from the burning building. Is Merivel a hero for having saved the woman? How is this incident governed by fate? How does Merivel benefit from it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss loyalty in the novel.
1) Who is Merivel loyal to in the novel? Does Merivel remain loyal to the King? Why does Merivel lie to Celia about the King's message?
2) Are the characters loyal to themselves? In what ways? What happens when a character is disloyal, to himself or to another?
3) What is the relationship between loyalty and love? Can loyalty in the novel exist without love?
This section contains 2,336 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)