|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Merivel think the King feels about him?
2. What does Merivel's painting instructor want Merivel to get him?
3. What does Merivel do after his wedding night is interrupted?
4. What is Merivel's dog's name?
5. What does Pearce tell Merivel about Finn's present?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has Celia invited to the house, and why?
2. What does Merivel tell Finn when Finn asks for the favor?
3. What is Merivel's response to the King summoning him with a letter?
4. What does the King tell Merivel in his dream?
5. Why can't Merivel do what Finn asks of him?
6. How does Merivel's message to Celia differ from what the King told him to say?
7. What does Merivel fantasize about while he's having sex with Violet?
8. How does Merivel set about the job given to him by the Justice of the Peace?
9. What is Merivel's reaction to the letter about Rosie?
10. What does Merivel think about his promise as an artist before he begins trying to paint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the novel do not always have an accurate perception of themselves or of others around them. Discuss the characters' perceptions of themselves and others.
1) How does Merivel perceive himself? Is his self-perception accurate? How does Merivel perceive the King over the course of the story? How does he perceive Celia? How does he perceive Pearce? What causes Merivel's perception of himself or others to change?
2) What is Katherine's perception of Merivel? Why does she have this perception? How does Merivel react to it?
3) How does Pearce perceive Merivel? How does the King's perception of Merivel differ from Pearce's?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of medicine in the novel.
1) Why does the author choose the medical field as Merivel's profession? What does his desire to be a doctor say about his personality? What is the role of a doctor in a society?
2) How effective is Merivel as a doctor? What qualities does Merivel have that make him a good or bad doctor? How much control does Merivel have over how effective a doctor he is?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the novel's treatment of women.
1) How does the novel portray women? What role do women hold in the society, and how does their societal role affect their behavior and personalities?
2) How do the male characters perceive and react to women? What do the male characters think of women, and how do they treat women?
3) How does the author perceive women? How can you distinguish between the characters' perceptions and the author's perception?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)