|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merivel's painting instructor want Merivel to get him?
2. What relationship does Merivel develop with Lady Bathurst?
3. What is Merivel's father's profession?
4. In what room does Celia lock herself?
5. What is Merivel's dog's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merivel find when he returns home?
2. What is Merivel's job at the palace?
3. How does Merivel's message to Celia differ from what the King told him to say?
4. How does Celia act during her meetings with Merivel before the wedding?
5. Who has Celia invited to the house, and why?
6. What does Merivel fantasize about while he's having sex with Violet?
7. What does the King tell Merivel in his dream?
8. Why doesn't Merivel try to treat his dog himself?
9. What does Merivel think of his first attempts at painting?
10. How does Merivel set about the job given to him by the Justice of the Peace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Merivel and other characters have meaningful dreams in the novel. Discuss the meaning of dreams throughout the novel.
1) Merivel dreams of the King. Is the King of Merivel's dreams the King he knows in life, or does the King represent something different in Merivel's dreams?
2) What does Merivel learn from his dreams? What could Merivel learn that he is not recognizing?
3) What meanings do other characters dreams have? Why does the Quaker hospital worker dream of God, and what do his dreams mean to him?
Essay Topic 2
Knowledge is an important element of the novel. Discuss this element in the novel.
1) Merivel lacks modern knowledge about medicine. How does this affect his actions and his perceptions? How does it affect his ability to help people or control the world around him?
2) The value of the "nightingale" depends on knowledge about the bird. How does lack of knowledge affect the characters' reactions to the bird and their perceptions of value?
3) How does knowledge of other human beings affect their interactions and perceptions of each other in the novel? What knowledge does Merivel lack about the King? What knowledge does Katherine lack about Merivel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters' control over their own lives in the novel.
1) How does a character's birth and family affect his or her life in the novel? Can a character change the course of his or her life?
2) How does chance and fate affect the characters' lives in the novel?
3) How do characters control their own lives and futures in the novel, and to what extent?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)