Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Merivel learn traveled this way before?
2. Who does Celia love?
3. What reason does Merivel give Celia for coming to the roof?
4. How does Merivel think the King feels about him?
5. What does Merivel's painting instructor want Merivel to get him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with Lady Bathurst's husband?
2. What does the King advise Merivel to do with his life?
3. How does Merivel imagine the representation of his astrological sign?
4. What prompts Katherine to try to hang herself?
5. How does Merivel react to Piepold?
6. What news does the King give Merivel when Merivel answers the summons?
7. What happened to the new owner of Bidnold?
8. What is Merivel's reaction to the letter about Rosie?
9. What is Merivel's life like after the fire?
10. Describe what Finn tells Merivel about the present Finn brings.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss rulership and leadership in the novel.
1) The novel centers around King Charles II. What kind of a ruler is he? What qualities make the King a good or a bad leader of his kingdom?
2) What kind of leaders are the Quakers who run the mental hospital? Are they good leaders or bad leaders? How do they make decisions for the people that they govern and care for?
3) What kind of a leader is Merivel? In what instances does Merivel take on a leadership role? Why, and who does he lead? How successful is he?
Essay Topic 2
Love is an important element of Merivel's relationships with others. Discuss love in the novel.
1) Who does Merivel love and why? What is his love for the King based on? What is his love for Pearce based on? What is his love for Celia based on? Does Merivel truly love any of these characters?
2) Who loves Merivel, and why? What is Katherine's love for Merivel based on? What is Merivel's servant's love for him based on? Does Merivel return any of the other characters' love?
3) How does love between the characters govern their actions in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Power is a defining element in relationships in the novel. Discuss power in the novel.
1) What gives characters power over others in the novel?
2) What gives the King power, and what are the limits of the King's power? How does the King use his power?
3) What kind of power does Merivel have as a doctor and as an associate of the King in the novel? How does he use this power?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)