Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Merivel learn traveled this way before?
2. Who does Celia love?
3. What reason does Merivel give Celia for coming to the roof?
4. How does Merivel think the King feels about him?
5. What does Merivel's painting instructor want Merivel to get him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with Lady Bathurst's husband?
2. What does the King advise Merivel to do with his life?
3. How does Merivel imagine the representation of his astrological sign?
4. What prompts Katherine to try to hang herself?
5. How does Merivel react to Piepold?
6. What news does the King give Merivel when Merivel answers the summons?
7. What happened to the new owner of Bidnold?
8. What is Merivel's reaction to the letter about Rosie?
9. What is Merivel's life like after the fire?
10. Describe what Finn tells Merivel about the present Finn brings.
Essay Topic 1
Both Merivel and other characters have meaningful dreams in the novel. Discuss the meaning of dreams throughout the novel.
1) Merivel dreams of the King. Is the King of Merivel's dreams the King he knows in life, or does the King represent something different in Merivel's dreams?
2) What does Merivel learn from his dreams? What could Merivel learn that he is not recognizing?
3) What meanings do other characters dreams have? Why does the Quaker hospital worker dream of God, and what do his dreams mean to him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss poverty and social class in the novel.
1) What different social strata exist in the novel? What determines what social class the people in the novel live in?
2) What allows characters in the novel to change social status, for better or worse? Why?
3) How does Merivel treat people of different social classes?
Essay Topic 3
Power is a defining element in relationships in the novel. Discuss power in the novel.
1) What gives characters power over others in the novel?
2) What gives the King power, and what are the limits of the King's power? How does the King use his power?
3) What kind of power does Merivel have as a doctor and as an associate of the King in the novel? How does he use this power?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)