|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is with Merivel when Celia arrives?
(a) Lady Bathurst.
(c) No one.
2. What does Nell tell Merivel will happen to him?
(a) An encounter with a stranger.
(b) A chance for love.
(c) An unexpected business opportunity.
(d) A fall from grace.
3. What relationship does Merivel develop with Lady Bathurst?
(a) A deep meeting of the minds.
(b) A sibling-like friendship.
(c) A sexual affair.
(d) A deep enmity.
4. Who is the story Pearce tells Merivel about?
(a) A patient in a mental hospital.
(b) A king's servant.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A traveling medicine salesperson.
5. Which word best characterizes the party at Lady Brathurst's home?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Merivel's dream of the King, what are his tears made of?
2. Where does Merivel go immediately after leaving Whitehall?
3. What kind of salary does Merivel make?
4. How does Celia feel about Finn's task?
5. What demand did Celia make on the King?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Degeulasse de Gourly come to visit Merivel?
2. Explain the metaphor in the story that Pearce tells Merivel.
3. What does Merivel tell Finn when Finn asks for the favor?
4. What does the King's court like about Merivel?
5. How does Merivel get into Celia's room?
6. What does Merivel think of his first attempts at painting?
7. What does the King order Merivel to do for him at the end of the first chapter?
8. What is Merivel's job at the palace?
9. What does Celia look like?
10. What is the distinction between the Idle and the Impotent?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)