|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What demand did Celia make on the King?
(a) To get her a larger apartment.
(b) To give her more money.
(c) To train her as an artist.
(d) To give up his other mistresses.
2. Who interrupts Merivel's wedding night?
(a) The King.
(b) Celia's father.
(c) The Queen.
3. Who is the story Pearce tells Merivel about?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A patient in a mental hospital.
(c) A traveling medicine salesperson.
(d) A king's servant.
4. What does Pearce tell Merivel about Finn's present?
(a) It is unlucky.
(b) It is worthless except in Asia.
(c) It is extremely valuable.
(d) It is a fraud.
5. Which word best characterizes the party at Lady Brathurst's home?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Celia say Merivel was chosen as her husband?
2. What is the first thing Merivel does when he moves into the mansion?
3. What is Merivel supposed to look at on Wise Nell's neck?
4. What is Celia's reaction when the bird dies?
5. What is draped over Meg in Merivel's pictures?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the King hopes to gain by having Merivel marry Celia.
2. What does the King's court like about Merivel?
3. What does Merivel fantasize about while he's having sex with Violet?
4. What does Merivel tell Finn when Finn asks for the favor?
5. How does Celia act during her meetings with Merivel before the wedding?
6. What does Celia look like?
7. What is the distinction between the Idle and the Impotent?
8. What does Merivel think of his first attempts at painting?
9. Describe what Finn tells Merivel about the present Finn brings.
10. Why does Reverend Sackpole want Merivel to examine Nell?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)