|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is with Merivel when Celia arrives?
(a) No one.
(b) Lady Bathurst.
2. What does Celia say that she did, when she found out Merivel was the one chosen to be her husband?
(a) Tried to kill herself.
(b) Begged not to marry the idiot.
(c) Prayed in thanks for an honest husband.
(d) Prayed that she could keep a straight face at the wedding.
3. What kind of salary does Merivel make?
(a) A large salary.
(b) A small salary.
(c) No salary.
(d) Whatever the King thinks of giving him at the moment.
4. What is Celia's reaction when the bird dies?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She refuses to believe it.
(c) She is relieved.
(d) She is distraught.
5. What job does the Justice of the Peace give to Merivel?
(a) Distributor of Wages.
(b) King's Stead in County.
(c) Lord Justice of Petty Crimes.
(d) Overseer of the Poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merivel ask for in his letter to the King?
2. How soon does the King offer to take Celia back, if she gives up her demand?
3. What did Finn buy for his interview with the King?
4. What is Merivel supposed to do for the Idle?
5. How does Merivel think the King feels about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merivel fantasize about while he's having sex with Violet?
2. What is Merivel's job at the palace?
3. How does Merivel set about the job given to him by the Justice of the Peace?
4. What does the King's court like about Merivel?
5. Explain what the King hopes to gain by having Merivel marry Celia.
6. What is the distinction between the Idle and the Impotent?
7. Who has Celia invited to the house, and why?
8. What does the King tell Merivel in his dream?
9. How does Celia act during her meetings with Merivel before the wedding?
10. How does Merivel imagine the representation of his astrological sign?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)