|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Merivel pay Finn for his portrait?
(a) Twenty-four shillings.
(b) Twelve shillings.
(c) Twenty shillings.
(d) Seven shillings.
2. At the funeral, what does Merivel express toward Pearce?
3. Where do the others tell Edmund he can find God?
(a) In church.
(b) In his work.
(c) In the Scriptures.
(d) In himself.
4. Who comes to the hospital for a visit and is turned away?
(b) Katherine's mother.
(d) The King.
5. What do the female patients do for exercise?
(a) Play hide and go seek.
(b) Walk and skip around an oak tree.
(c) Play a game with an imaginary ball.
(d) Play tennis on the lawn.
6. How does Merivel feel about his sexual affair with Katherine?
7. What theory does Merivel give at his first contribution to the nightly meeting at the hospital?
(a) That insanity is not contained in the body's fluids.
(b) That insanity is a false diagnosis.
(c) That insanity is contagious and patients should be separated.
(d) That insanity is progressive and should be caught early.
8. What instigated Katherine's illness?
(a) Her father dying.
(b) Her husband leaving her.
(c) Her child being killed.
(d) Her sister being kidnapped.
9. What effect does the plague have on the patients in the hospital?
(a) An unnatural giddiness.
10. What medical practice does Merivel perform regularly at the hospital?
(a) Maggot therapy.
11. What does Merivel name the baby?
12. How has Merivel changed physically at Whittlesea?
(a) He has lost weight.
(b) He has gained weight.
(c) He has grown stooped.
(d) He has not changed.
13. Who is in the house when Merivel emerges from his illness?
(a) The King.
(b) No one.
14. What calms Katherine down?
(a) A book.
(b) A religious statue.
(c) Merivel's presence.
(d) A doll.
15. Why does Merivel want to cure Katherine?
(a) To make up for his past.
(b) To be with her.
(c) To show that it can be done.
(d) For her mother's sake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Piepold spend his days thinking of?
2. Where does Merivel meet Finn, after not seeing him for a long time?
3. What does Merivel do most of the day while he is ill?
4. What date does the dance finally occur?
5. Who does Merivel hope to save in the emergency?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)