|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Merivel think the King feels about him?
(a) Merivel thinks the King loves him.
(b) Merivel thinks the King is jealous of him.
(c) Merivel thinks the King doesn't care about him.
(d) Merivel thinks the King hates him.
2. What did Finn buy for his interview with the King?
(a) A fine pheasant dinner.
(b) Expensive new clothes.
(c) A gift of a gold clock.
(d) A set of paints and brushes.
3. What gift does the King give Merivel?
(a) Kitchen knifes.
(b) Surgical tools.
(c) A vase.
(d) A portrait.
4. What kind of salary does Merivel make?
(a) Whatever the King thinks of giving him at the moment.
(b) No salary.
(c) A large salary.
(d) A small salary.
5. How does Merivel feel about Finn's task?
6. What reason does Merivel give Celia for coming to the roof?
(a) To dance under the stars.
(b) To look through a telescope.
(c) To have a picnic.
(d) To look at damage to the roof.
7. What bad aftereffect does Merivel wake with the next morning?
(a) A stomach ache.
(b) A headache.
(d) Profuse sweating.
8. Who does Celia love?
(a) No one.
(b) Only Merivel.
(c) Only the King.
(d) The King and Merivel.
9. What age does Merivel turn at the beginning of Chapter 11?
10. What has happened to Merivel's dog while he was away?
(a) Merivel's dog went into a coma.
(b) Merivel's dog had puppies.
(c) Merivel's dog ran away.
(d) Merivel's dog died.
11. What does Merivel tell Celia the King wants her to learn?
(a) The changeful nature of things.
(b) The mysterious honor of the world.
(c) The grace to find contentment.
(d) The natural order of the universe.
12. What does Merivel ask for in his letter to the King?
(b) Political power.
(c) A job.
13. How do Merivel's parents die?
(a) They are killed in a storm.
(b) They fall off a cliff.
(c) They are murdered.
(d) They die in a fire.
14. How is the person in the story cured?
(a) By vomiting up a sac of eggs.
(b) By expelling a large worm in her excrement.
(c) By drinking a glass of poison.
(d) By drowning and being resuscitated.
15. What does Merivel's painting instructor want Merivel to get him?
(a) A job in the King's court.
(b) A woman.
(c) A studio where he can work.
(d) A monetary grant from the King.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Merivel supposed to do for the Idle?
2. What is Celia's reaction when the bird dies?
3. How does Merivel feel about his wedding ceremony?
4. Which word best characterizes the party at Lady Brathurst's home?
5. What job does the Justice of the Peace give to Merivel?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)