|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the merrymakers at the wedding tie onto Merivel's private parts?
(a) A yellow string.
(b) A warning bell.
(c) A purple ribbon.
(d) A cup.
2. What can't Merivel remember when he sees Celia again?
(a) Her favorite color.
(b) Her name.
(c) Her proper form of address.
(d) Her face.
3. What job does the Justice of the Peace give to Merivel?
(a) Overseer of the Poor.
(b) Distributor of Wages.
(c) King's Stead in County.
(d) Lord Justice of Petty Crimes.
4. What does Merivel look for at the pub for his dog?
(a) Some food.
(b) Some medicine.
(c) Some liquor.
(d) A doctor.
5. What does Merivel hire Meg as?
(a) A servant for himself.
(b) A servant for his wife.
(c) A model.
(d) A prostitute.
6. Who is with Merivel when Celia arrives?
(b) Lady Bathurst.
(d) No one.
7. What narrative perspective does the novel use?
(a) First person.
(b) Third person semi-omnicient.
(c) Second person.
(d) Third person omniscient.
8. Why does Rosie want thirty shillings from Merivel?
(a) Because her parents have died.
(b) Because she has lost her job.
(c) Because she is sick and needs a doctor.
(d) Because her husband has died.
9. What age does Merivel turn at the beginning of Chapter 11?
10. What astrological sign is Merivel?
11. What reason does Merivel give Celia for coming to the roof?
(a) To dance under the stars.
(b) To look at damage to the roof.
(c) To have a picnic.
(d) To look through a telescope.
12. How does Merivel feel about his wedding ceremony?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He is bored.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He has fun.
13. What does Merivel decide will be Celia's path toward learning what the King wants her to learn?
14. How does Merivel think Celia looks when she arrives?
(a) Worse than she did.
(b) The same as she did.
(c) Much more beautiful than ever.
(d) Somewhat better than before.
15. What does Merivel's painting instructor want Merivel to get him?
(a) A job in the King's court.
(b) A studio where he can work.
(c) A woman.
(d) A monetary grant from the King.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Merivel's parents die?
2. What village is Merivel's mansion in?
3. What bad aftereffect does Merivel wake with the next morning?
4. How does Merivel think the King feels about him?
5. What does Merivel want to learn to do well for Celia?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)