1. What does the King's court like about Merivel?
Merivel is liked at the court for his sense of humor.
2. What is Merivel's job at the palace?
Merivel is basically a veterinarian in charge of the health of the King's dogs at the palace.
3. How does Merivel feel about life at the palace?
Merivel loves living at the palace where he has every luxury and many women.
4. What does the King order Merivel to do for him at the end of the first chapter?
The King asks Merivel to marry his youngest mistress.
5. Explain what the King hopes to gain by having Merivel marry Celia.
The King hopes that once Celia is married, his suspicious mistress, Barbara Castlemain, will no longer trouble him about his affair with the younger woman.
6. How does Celia act during her meetings with Merivel before the wedding?
Celia spends all her attention on the King, ignoring Merivel.
This section contains 1,972 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)