|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have Thomas, Victor and Junior heard about Big Mom?
2. Where does the record company want to bring Coyote Springs?
3. Where do Thomas, Chess and Checkers wait?
4. What does Junior's ghost tell Victor as to why Junior kills himself?
5. What does Wright say as to why he is helping the band?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Michael White Hawk sees Victor, Junior, Betty and Veronica?
2. What happens when Thomas and Chess return to the hotel and what surprises them about their room?
3. What happens at Junior's funeral?
4. What does Johnson convince Big Mom to do and what does she give him? Why does she give him it?
5. How does the band get involved with Sheridan and Wright?
6. What does Sheridan want to do with Betty and Veronica?
7. What does Checkers think about the band and why does she think that?
8. What problem does the band encounter at the airport and what does Thomas do during the flight?
9. What was in the conversation Father Arnold has with the bishop?
10. What does Victor do at the studio and after they leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Junior's dream is horrific in its detail. Wright and Sheridan were actual historical figures involved in the forcing of Native Americans onto reservations. While Wright might seem more compassionate to the Native American viewpoint, Sheridan seems to have no such weakness.
1. Do you think a person might be able to get insight into his/her life through a dream? Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
2. What do you think is the symbolism of Wright and Sheridan in the book? Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
3. What type of conflicts might Wright have had if he felt compassion for the very people he help herd onto reservations? What types of emotional and mental conflicts could he have experienced? Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Reservation Blues" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Reservation Blues" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Reservation Blues" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
"Reservation Blues" belongs to the Native American literature genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between Native American literature and an historical novel?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)