|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Junior's ghost keep giving Victor?
2. Where does the cab driver take Wright?
3. What has two non-Spokane Indians as its members?
4. Where does Robert Johnson stay?
5. Who is arrogant in the interview?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Big Mom tell Checkers about Father Arnold and what does Checkers do about it?
2. What do Thomas and Chess talk about regarding fame?
3. What happens when Michael White Hawk sees Victor, Junior, Betty and Veronica?
4. What does Checkers think about the band and why does she think that?
5. How do Thomas and the sisters get money to leave the reservation and what do they see as they are leaving?
6. What are Victor and Junior doing while Thomas and Chess are at the hotel?
7. How do the members of the band feel when they first see Big Mom and what does she tell Victor?
8. What does Checkers find when she sneaks out of Thomas' house and goes to the church?
9. What happens to Thomas in church and what does he decide needs done?
10. What does Junior say about his white college girlfriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Reservation Blues is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Reservation Blues". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Alexie chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Alexie chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss Alexie's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Alexie use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
"Reservation Blues" belongs to the Native American literature genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between Native American literature and an historical novel?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)