Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the guitar do to Victor?
2. To where does Chess say she is thinking of moving?
3. What does Thomas ask Robert Johnson?
4. What do Victor and Junior ask Thomas when they see him with the guitar?
5. What does the guitar do during the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Thomas about Victor and Junior's music, who comes to listen to the band rehearse, what kind of music do they expect and what does the band actually play?
2. What does Victor dream about that involves his mother and his stepfather?
3. What happens to the band on the way to a venue not on an Indian Reservation and what surprises the band about the incident?
4. What happens at Junior's funeral?
5. What does Thomas do after the show at Flathead?
6. Why is Robert Johnson at the reservation, and what does Thomas say to him about Big Mom?
7. What does Thomas do with the guitar Johnson left in his van and what do Victor and Junior say to Thomas about the guitar? What do they do to the guitar?
8. What does Thomas ask Chess and Checkers to do and what is their response?
9. What does Victor do at the studio and after they leave?
10. How does Checkers end up getting injured at Thomas' house?
Essay Topic 1
The characters Betty and Veronica are darkly comical. They believe that Native Americans have some sort of spiritual insight or wisdom. In this way they view Native Americans as stereotypes and fail to appreciate the individual. It is ironic that the two have the names Betty and Veronica, the same names as two characters from a famous comic book series. Though ironic, in this way Betty and Veronica are stereotypes of white people who have unrealistic views of Native Americans.
1. The belief that Native Americans have special insight or wisdom is prevalent in America. Explain how this perception is a type of labeling and stereotyping. Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
2. How does putting labels on a group of individuals get in the way of knowing those persons as individuals? Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
3. Explain the irony of Betty and Veronica stereotyping Native Americans. Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Reservation Blues"? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in "Reservation Blues" including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Reservation Blues" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
"Reservation Blues" belongs to the Native American literature genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between Native American literature and an historical novel?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)