|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Victor dream about his stepfather?
2. What does the guitar do to Victor?
3. What happens to Checkers when she and Victor fight?
4. What does Chess do at her house when they first arrive?
5. What does Johnson do when he gets out of Thomas' vehicle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lester end up with a broken nose during the game with the police?
2. What do Thomas and Chess do when Victor and Junior are sleeping in the van?
3. What happens at a rest stop on the way to Seattle?
4. What does Thomas ask Chess and Checkers to do and what is their response?
5. What is Victor doing while the band is waiting for their turn in the the battle of the bands?
6. How did Father Arnold become a priest and how did he feel about being sent to the reservation?
7. What does Thomas ask Chess about her church, what is her response and what story does he tell that starts her crying?
8. What does Victor dream about that involves his mother and his stepfather?
9. How does the song "Reservation Blues" come about?
10. How does Checkers end up getting injured at Thomas' house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Reservation Blues is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Reservation Blues" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)