|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the guitar do to Victor?
2. To where does Chess say she is thinking of moving?
3. What does Thomas ask Robert Johnson?
4. What do Victor and Junior ask Thomas when they see him with the guitar?
5. What does the guitar do during the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Thomas about Victor and Junior's music, who comes to listen to the band rehearse, what kind of music do they expect and what does the band actually play?
2. What does Victor dream about that involves his mother and his stepfather?
3. What happens to the band on the way to a venue not on an Indian Reservation and what surprises the band about the incident?
4. What happens at Junior's funeral?
5. What does Thomas do after the show at Flathead?
6. Why is Robert Johnson at the reservation, and what does Thomas say to him about Big Mom?
7. What does Thomas do with the guitar Johnson left in his van and what do Victor and Junior say to Thomas about the guitar? What do they do to the guitar?
8. What does Thomas ask Chess and Checkers to do and what is their response?
9. What does Victor do at the studio and after they leave?
10. How does Checkers end up getting injured at Thomas' house?
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Reservation Blues"? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in "Reservation Blues" including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Reservation Blues" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Reservation Blues".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Reservation Blues". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Reservation Blues". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Reservation Blues is? Explain your response.
This section contains 3,584 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)