Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the guitar do to Victor?
2. To where does Chess say she is thinking of moving?
3. What does Thomas ask Robert Johnson?
4. What do Victor and Junior ask Thomas when they see him with the guitar?
5. What does the guitar do during the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Thomas about Victor and Junior's music, who comes to listen to the band rehearse, what kind of music do they expect and what does the band actually play?
2. What does Victor dream about that involves his mother and his stepfather?
3. What happens to the band on the way to a venue not on an Indian Reservation and what surprises the band about the incident?
4. What happens at Junior's funeral?
5. What does Thomas do after the show at Flathead?
6. Why is Robert Johnson at the reservation, and what does Thomas say to him about Big Mom?
7. What does Thomas do with the guitar Johnson left in his van and what do Victor and Junior say to Thomas about the guitar? What do they do to the guitar?
8. What does Thomas ask Chess and Checkers to do and what is their response?
9. What does Victor do at the studio and after they leave?
10. How does Checkers end up getting injured at Thomas' house?
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Reservation Blues is? Explain your response.
"Reservation Blues" belongs to the Native American literature genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between Native American literature and an historical novel?
Characters are an important part of what makes "Reservation Blues" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Thomas. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Chess. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Junior. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)