|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the guitar do to Victor?
2. To where does Chess say she is thinking of moving?
3. What does Thomas ask Robert Johnson?
4. What do Victor and Junior ask Thomas when they see him with the guitar?
5. What does the guitar do during the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Thomas about Victor and Junior's music, who comes to listen to the band rehearse, what kind of music do they expect and what does the band actually play?
2. What does Victor dream about that involves his mother and his stepfather?
3. What happens to the band on the way to a venue not on an Indian Reservation and what surprises the band about the incident?
4. What happens at Junior's funeral?
5. What does Thomas do after the show at Flathead?
6. Why is Robert Johnson at the reservation, and what does Thomas say to him about Big Mom?
7. What does Thomas do with the guitar Johnson left in his van and what do Victor and Junior say to Thomas about the guitar? What do they do to the guitar?
8. What does Thomas ask Chess and Checkers to do and what is their response?
9. What does Victor do at the studio and after they leave?
10. How does Checkers end up getting injured at Thomas' house?
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Reservation Blues" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Reservation Blues". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Reservation Blues". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Reservation Blues". Consider not only Junior's suicide but the death of the band's dreams and Father Arnold leaving the priesthood.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Reservation Blues" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Reservation Blues" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Reservation Blues" a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 3,584 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)