|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marion vomit uncontrollably after visiting Arnold the second time?
2. Why does Sara initially call the McDick Corporation?
3. Who helps Harry and Marion find drugs toward the end of the year?
4. How do Marion, Harry, and Tyrone behave while traveling to meet Big Tim?
5. How are the police involved in the Harlan Jefferson situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Marion vomit while with Big Tim?
2. How are Harry and Tyrone quickly deteriorating as they head south?
3. How does Sara's situation in the hospital elicit sympathy from readers?
4. What is Tyrone and Alice's relationship like?
5. What is Harry's internal conflict concerning Marion when they cannot find a drug connection?
6. How severe is Sara's drug addiction as she continues her drug abuse?
7. How does Harry prepare to go to his mother's house after buying Sara a television?
8. What is ironic about Harry's new state of addiction after his drug business collapses?
9. What does Brody's death foreshadow?
10. What does the reader learn about Tyrone and his past that indirectly characterizes him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the novel opening and closing with Sara watching television?
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest conflict of the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The climax of a novel is debatable. What is the climax of the novel?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)