|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tyrone fall asleep at night in jail?
2. What happens to Tyrone after he buys a few bundles of heroin on the street?
3. What does Dr. Spencer do to help Sara?
4. What is the reaction of Sara and her friends when Harry brings her the television?
5. What happy memory does Tyrone recall from living with his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Tyrone and his past that indirectly characterizes him?
2. What is the conflict at Marion's apartment when Harry and Tyrone return with drugs after scrounging on the street?
3. How has Marion and Harry's relationship forever changed after Marion meets with Arnold a second time?
4. What does the reader find out about Lyle Russel during Sara's first phone call to the McDick Corporation?
5. What is Harry and Tyrone's relationship like as they work the streets?
6. How does Harry prepare to go to his mother's house after buying Sara a television?
7. What is Harry's internal conflict concerning Marion when they cannot find a drug connection?
8. How does Harry feel about his mom after their visit in Chapter 3, Part 32?
9. How has Tyrone changed now that he dips into the stash?
10. What happens at the McDick Corporation concerning Sara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel's characters do not have the standard qualities of a protagonist. Who is the novel's protagonist? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the literary effect of the story zigzagging between Harry and Sara's drug dependencies and downfalls?
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest conflict of the novel? Why?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)