|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old junkie tell Tyrone concerning drug use?
2. In Harry's second daydream about television shopping, how does he behave at Macy's?
3. What do the hospital's drugs do to Sara?
4. Where do Harry and Tyrone believe a large weight of drugs is being sold?
5. How do Tyrone and Harry get a car to take south?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Marion and Harry hide from each other about their drug connections?
2. What is the conflict at Marion's apartment when Harry and Tyrone return with drugs after scrounging on the street?
3. What does the reader find out about Lyle Russel during Sara's first phone call to the McDick Corporation?
4. What is ironic about Harry's new state of addiction after his drug business collapses?
5. How does Harry feel about his mom after their visit in Chapter 3, Part 32?
6. How is the doctor who prescribed Sara's diet pills hurting her?
7. How does heroin influence Harry's reality as he television shops?
8. What does Sara's life consist of as the year comes to a close?
9. What do Harry and Marion's lives consist of as the year comes to a close?
10. Why would Marion vomit while with Big Tim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the motif of damaged mother and son relationships grow throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most violent scene from the novel? How does this scene add to the overall meaning?
Essay Topic 3
What is the literary effect of the story zigzagging between Harry and Sara's drug dependencies and downfalls?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)