|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sara smile as she flushed the toilet?
2. Why is Tyrone resentful to Marion and Harry when he arrives?
3. What do the memories of other cultures and life arouse in Marion?
4. How does Sara's diet change when she begins her pill regimen?
5. Why does Marion feel she must have dinner with Arnold?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tyrone and Harry fall short of the money they need, what does this symbolize?
2. Why can Marion not sketch?
3. What feelings does Marion miss?
4. How hard does Sara try to diet? Why?
5. How do people around Harry and Tyrone try to escape?
6. In Part 3, how is reality infringing on Harry and Marion as they first struggle in their relationship?
7. How are Sara and Harry's drug problems similar?
8. Looking at the kind of food Marion buys, how does this relate to her life?
9. What does Marion's increased involvement with Harry and Tyrone as their drug business begins foreshadow?
10. Why are Tyrone and Harry able to function at work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Too often Marion, Tyrone, Harry, and Sara focus on unrealistic goals and fantasies. Examine how these characters live outside reality. What are their goals in doing so, and what do they accomplish?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the novel's title. Why would two words ("requiem" and "dream") with such seemingly opposite meanings be in the title together?
Essay Topic 3
Debate the realness of the novel. Are drug addiction and its consequences adequately and fairly portrayed?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)