|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marion meet Arnold for their scheduled meeting?
2. What hope does Marion have every night?
3. Where do Tyrone and Harry get the extra money they need to purchase the amount of heroin they want?
4. What keyword does Sara force herself to think in the middle of the night?
5. What phone do Harry and Tyrone first use when they start selling drugs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marion able to sketch again?
2. What is the progress of Sara's diet as she tries to diet alone?
3. What enabled Marion to have the past life she fondly remembers?
4. Looking at the kind of food Marion buys, how does this relate to her life?
5. How do Harry and Marion have an oblivious separation from reality?
6. What does Marion's increased involvement with Harry and Tyrone as their drug business begins foreshadow?
7. Why can Marion not sketch?
8. Why is it symbolic that Sara answers whatever intrusive question the television company asks her?
9. What is ironic about Harry's remark that "juice heads are too much, aren't they? They really have no class, no class at all"?
10. Why is Harry's daydream at Tyrone's apartment important to the theme of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the end of the year nears, Sara as well as Harry and his friends have similar activities during the day. What are these activities and how do they speak to the characters' drug addictions?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of doctors in the novel? Consider all characters who interact with doctors. Is the author making a criticism about the medical field?
Essay Topic 3
This novel's characters do not have the standard qualities of a protagonist. Who is the novel's protagonist? Why?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)