|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Fireman Jim Stack have to stay longer at the hospital after the Intervale Avenue fire in Chapter 10?
(a) He had dangerously high blood pressure and nerve palpitations.
(b) He suffered a heart attack.
(c) He suffered severe burns.
(d) He suffered severe smoke inhalation.
2. What kind of entertainment did the firefighters and children experience during the ice cream party in Chapter 9?
(a) Calypso and breakdancing.
(b) Steel drums and African dance.
(c) Pop music and tap dancing.
(d) African dance and Irish dance.
3. What one gift did Smith want more than anything as a child?
(a) A Schwinn bicycle.
(b) A skateboard.
(c) A television in his own room.
(d) A remote-control car.
4. How did Smith view the fire department's amusement park trip for neighborhood children?
(a) He believed it was ultimately a waste of time.
(b) He believed the kids who attended were not the ones who needed help the most.
(c) He believed it improved relations and made the children less likely to pull false alarms.
(d) He believed most of the children were cynical about the trip.
5. How many men competed for firemen positions that day?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Smith upset about the path Tina de Vega took in life?
2. What is the minimum height for a fireman in New York?
3. Why did the Fire Department persist in holding parties for children who regularly harassed firefighters?
4. What kind of living quarters did Dennis Smith grow up in?
5. What did Smith see in Fireman Billy-o as he held the baby who died in the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way can the training firemen undergo never be completely sufficient?
2. How did Smith distinguish between acts of shoplifting and looting within poor neighborhoods?
3. What was Smith's attitude toward the man hanging around at the Union Avenue fire in Chapter 10? How did he feel about the man screaming that the firemen were not taking fire victims to the hospital because they didn't care about black people?
4. Why were the men uneasy as they begin the training drill in Chapter 6?
5. Did Smith's wife appreciate her husband's devotion to his job?
6. Did Smith feel that the rich New Yorkers mentioned in Chapter 7, who were raising money to bail out Black Panthers, had any real understanding of need?
7. Why did Smith view being a firemen as a sign of success when he was a child?
8. What were Smith's initial views of firefighting before he joined the department?
9. Why did Smith think it was useless to argue with the sneering youths hanging around a fireman's car in Chapter 10?
10. How did the firefighters react to the call in Chapter 7 in which they tended to a man who almost overdosed on drugs?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)