|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What free perk did New York firemen get?
(a) Free taxi rides.
(b) Free clothes.
(c) Free admission to parks.
(d) Free rides on the subway.
2. What is the Irish way of making tea, as described by Smith in Chapter 7?
(a) Cream and sugar.
(b) Black tea plain.
(c) Black tea with sugar.
(d) Half tea and half milk.
3. What did the newspaper article say a firefighter rescued following a rubbish fire?
(a) A chipmunk.
(b) A raccoon.
(c) A robin.
(d) A squirrel.
4. Why did Smith's mother hide the television under a bedspread?
(a) She did not want her children watching TV.
(b) She was afraid the TV would be stolen.
(c) Welfare recipients were not allowed to have TVs or phones.
(d) The TV was broken.
5. How was the bleeding woman who ran into the station for help injured in Chapter 9?
(a) Her stepfather attacked her with a beer bottle when she resisted a sexual assault.
(b) She was involved in a car accident.
(c) Her boyfriend assaulted her.
(d) Her mother assaulted her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cause of the fire the men responded to at Union and 166th Street in Chapter 10?
2. Why was Smith upset about the path Tina de Vega took in life?
3. How old was Tina when Smith first met her?
4. Why did Smith not want to leave the South Bronx?
5. What did the firefighters discover after the police had left the station in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what key way does Smith say the modern firefighting exams are different from those of the past?
2. How did Smith convince himself of the need to respond to all calls when he found himself getting fed up with the arson incidents?
3. How did the firefighters react to the call in Chapter 7 in which they tended to a man who almost overdosed on drugs?
4. Why had the system of safety inspections changed so radically?
5. Does Smith feel that society has become more violent over the years, and if so, why?
6. How did Smith distinguish between acts of shoplifting and looting within poor neighborhoods?
7. How did the elementary student, Cynthia, approach her interview with Smith in Chapter 9?
8. Did Smith feel that the rich New Yorkers mentioned in Chapter 7, who were raising money to bail out Black Panthers, had any real understanding of need?
9. Is the poverty seen by Dennis Smith in the South Bronx different than the poverty in which he grew up?
10. In what way can the training firemen undergo never be completely sufficient?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)