|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Irish way of making tea, as described by Smith in Chapter 7?
(a) Black tea with sugar.
(b) Cream and sugar.
(c) Half tea and half milk.
(d) Black tea plain.
2. To which classical literary figure does Smith refer when describing the wounds on the young girl assaulted by her stepfather in Chapter 9?
3. While responding to an apartment fire on Simpson Street in Chapter 7, what did the firefighters see two teenagers carrying down the stairs?
(a) A radio and toaster oven.
(b) A television and phonograph.
(c) A television and toaster oven.
(d) A radio and television.
4. What kind of living quarters did Dennis Smith grow up in?
(a) A townhouse in the Bronx.
(b) A New York City tenement.
(c) A New York City high-rise studio apartment.
(d) A single-family house in Flushing.
5. How did Smith try to impress people after dropping out of school?
(a) By claiming he was saving money to tour Europe.
(b) By claiming he was studying business.
(c) By claiming he was studying to be a botanist.
(d) By claiming he planned to become manager of the store one day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many children were at the ice cream party in Chapter 9?
2. Why were merchants good to firefighters (i.e., by giving them discounts) under the old system?
3. What is the minimum height for a fireman in New York?
4. How were most people escaping from the blaze on Intervale Avenue in Chapter 10?
5. Why did the Fire Department persist in holding parties for children who regularly harassed firefighters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were some of the firefighters unwilling to help out at the department's occasional parties for neighborhood kids?
2. Did Smith feel that the rich New Yorkers mentioned in Chapter 7, who were raising money to bail out Black Panthers, had any real understanding of need?
3. How did Smith distinguish between acts of shoplifting and looting within poor neighborhoods?
4. How did the firefighters react to the call in Chapter 7 in which they tended to a man who almost overdosed on drugs?
5. In what key way does Smith say the modern firefighting exams are different from those of the past?
6. Why had the system of safety inspections changed so radically?
7. In what way does it seem as though Smith--despite his hatred for cockroaches--actually respects them?
8. What did Smith find most frustrating about the attack on the firefighters (the dropped garbage can) in Chapter 8?
9. How did Dennis Smith feel as a child when the welfare inspector visited his family?
10. Did Smith's wife appreciate her husband's devotion to his job?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)