|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Smith remember details for the book while working full-time?
(a) Byinterviewing fellow firefighters,
(b) By dictating into a tape recorder.
(c) By simply relying on his memory.
(d) By writing daily.
2. Which firefighter died shortly before the time Chapter 2 takes place?
(a) Bob Starr.
(b) Mike Carr.
(c) Mike O'Brien.
(d) Mike Sullivan.
3. How did Smith believe the city was treated by the state?
(a) He felt the state placed too many requirements on the city.
(b) He felt the state took the city's tax money, but failed to provide adequate services.
(c) He felt the state put too much emphasis on the city.
(d) He felt the state tried to control the city.
4. Why did Smith want to re-read the Yeats poem about wise men becoming tense with violence before they can accomplish fate?
(a) He was trying to understand what causes some men to willingly go into burning buildings.
(b) He was trying to take his mind off his work.
(c) He was preparing another letter to the editor.
(d) He was trying to understand the situation of people throwing rocks at firefighters.
5. What was wrong with the furnace room where the firefighters retreated for warmth during the Charlotte Street fire?
(a) It was filled with mice.
(b) The furnace was not working.
(c) The roof had caved in.
(d) It was filled with cockroaches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the firefighters encounter while bringing the hose up the stairs of the burning apartment building on Fox Street?
2. Why did the plan not work out?
3. Who was responsible for the fire at the Kelly Street apartments?
4. What kind of tool did the firefighters use to break down the door during the Kelly Street fire?
5. In which city did Smith serve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Smith describe the fire marshals sent to investigate the Intervale Avenue fire?
2. Why do you think Dennis Smith found the act of writing the book as exciting as responding to fire calls?
3. Why does Smith say city workers were fleeing cities to live in the suburbs?
4. How was Firefighter Mike Carr killed?
5. How did Smith's mother's attitude toward work reflect an old-fashioned way of viewing labor in New York City?
6. In what ways does Smith view the old-style machine politics as preferable to the current system?
7. How did Dennis Smith get started on writing Report From Engine Co. 82?
8. Why did Artie think the 20th century should be called the "Great Zap"?
9. In reflecting on the boys who chanted hate-filled slogans at the firefighters in Chapter 4, Smith reflects that "people don't hate other people." What does he mean by that?
10. Describe how fireman Jim Stack fought the apartment fire at 1284 Fox in Chapter 3.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)