|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the primary problem with New York City, in Smith's eyes?
(a) It is simply too big.
(b) It is not integrated.
(c) There are too many minorities.
(d) It is too poor.
2. Which writer once suggested that the story finds the author?
(a) Sarah Orne Jewett..
(b) Charlotte Gilman.
(c) Katherine Anne Porter.
(d) Shirley Jackson.
3. Which firefighter died shortly before the time Chapter 2 takes place?
(a) Bob Starr.
(b) Mike Carr.
(c) Mike Sullivan.
(d) Mike O'Brien.
4. How did the firefighters save the life of the overdose victim on Hoe Avenue?
(a) By performing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
(b) By pumping his stomach.
(c) By performing CPR.
(d) By shoving ice down his pants.
5. How do firefighters get enough oxygen when a building is thick with smoke?
(a) By using oxygen tanks.
(b) By first clearing out some of the smoke.
(c) By breaking out windows to get oxygen in.
(d) By crawling on their stomachs to reach the oxygen at floor level.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Smith feel when first approached about writing a memoir of firefighting?
2. On what street did the firefighters respond to a large fire in Chapter 5?
3. What is the name of the national magazine started by Smith after writing the memoir?
4. Why did Smith's mother scold him before he left for work in Chapter 3?
5. Which two companies were prohibited from responding to the same fire under the new plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Dennis Smith get started on writing Report From Engine Co. 82?
2. Why were the firefighters remaining at the scene of the fire on Forest Avenue (in Chapter 5) unsure of the names of the injured firemen?
3. How does the fire department announce the death of a fellow firefighter in the line of duty?
4. How did the other firefighters look at Artie, the firefighter with the beard and degree in sociology?
5. Why was Smith reminded of the sun when he entered the burning room on Forest Avenue in Chapter 5?
6. Besides the risks to firefighters, what does Dennis Smith believe is a real risk of malicious false alarms?
7. Why does Smith tell his mother that he feels compelled to continue working in the dangerous South Bronx neighborhood?
8. What does Dennis Smith think should be done with people who pull malicious false alarms, and why?
9. Why did Artie think the 20th century should be called the "Great Zap"?
10. Describe how fireman Jim Stack fought the apartment fire at 1284 Fox in Chapter 3.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)