|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Smith take the application test?
(a) South Bronx.
(c) Upper West Side.
(d) Greenwich Village.
2. How did Smith view the fire department's amusement park trip for neighborhood children?
(a) He believed the kids who attended were not the ones who needed help the most.
(b) He believed it was ultimately a waste of time.
(c) He believed it improved relations and made the children less likely to pull false alarms.
(d) He believed most of the children were cynical about the trip.
3. How did being interviewed by Cynthia affect Smith's mood in Chapter 9?
(a) He was encouraged that there were decent, hardworking kids in South Bronx.
(b) He was depressed because he saw nothing but heartache for Cynthia.
(c) He was not affected at all.
(d) He was confused about the future of local children.
4. What actor was interviewed in the Playboy issue, read by Smith in Chapter 7?
(a) Jack Nicholson.
(b) Marlon Brando.
(c) Donald Sutherland.
(d) Elliott Gould.
5. What three jobs did the nuns at Smith's school tell the students they could aspire to?
(a) Fireman, cop, teacher.
(b) Fireman, cop.
(c) President, fireman, cop.
(d) Cop, teacher.
6. How did Smith try to impress people after dropping out of school?
(a) By claiming he was studying to be a botanist.
(b) By claiming he was studying business.
(c) By claiming he planned to become manager of the store one day.
(d) By claiming he was saving money to tour Europe.
7. Why were merchants good to firefighters (i.e., by giving them discounts) under the old system?
(a) They wanted to get faster response times during emergencies.
(b) They were required to offer discounts to firemen.
(c) They expected the firemen to be forgiving during inspections.
(d) They expected the firemen to protect them from arson.
8. Why did Smith not want to leave the South Bronx?
(a) He was determined to become a captain.
(b) He thought other places would be boring.
(c) He felt the neighborhood needed him.
(d) He received extra pay for working in a tough neighborhood.
9. What is the Irish way of making tea, as described by Smith in Chapter 7?
(a) Black tea plain.
(b) Cream and sugar.
(c) Half tea and half milk.
(d) Black tea with sugar.
10. Why did it take the firemen longer than usual to reach the large fire on Intervale Avenue in Chapter 10?
(a) They had been responding to an overdose.
(b) They had been responding to a false alarm.
(c) They had been responding to a car accident.
(d) They had been called to an arson fire at an abandoned building.
11. How old was Tina when Smith first met her?
12. How must firefighters find the rewards in their profession?
(a) There are no rewards in the profession.
(b) They must seek rewards from their fellow firefighters.
(c) They must seek them out each in his own way.
(d) They must look to society's veneration of firefighters.
13. Why were the teens carrying the items out of the Simpson Street apartment building?
(a) They had bought them from another resident.
(b) They were carrying them out for another resident.
(c) They were carrying them out of their own apartment for safety.
(d) They stole them from another resident.
14. Why was Pat, Dennis' wife, willing to accept his remaining in a dangerous profession?
(a) She knew his salary would steadily increase and support the family.
(b) She knew his job was stable.
(c) She was proud that her husband was brave.
(d) She knew he was doing what he thought was right for the whole family.
15. Why did Smith think his school principal and mother were wrong to lament his dropping out?
(a) He believed he'd make a lot of money working instead.
(b) He did not think he was good enough at academics.
(c) He believed school was a waste of time.
(d) He wanted to get out of New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did George say firefighters will never realize they are being duped?
2. Why were the five adults and two children unable to escape the burning building?
3. Why did the firemen call for police assistance while battling the Fox Street fire in Chapter 8?
4. Why did the city fence off the empty lots near the fire station?
5. Why was Smith concerned about striking for better working conditions?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)