|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men competed for firemen positions that day?
2. Why were merchants good to firefighters (i.e., by giving them discounts) under the old system?
(a) They expected the firemen to protect them from arson.
(b) They expected the firemen to be forgiving during inspections.
(c) They wanted to get faster response times during emergencies.
(d) They were required to offer discounts to firemen.
3. What did the newspaper article say a firefighter rescued following a rubbish fire?
(a) A robin.
(b) A raccoon.
(c) A chipmunk.
(d) A squirrel.
4. How was the bleeding woman who ran into the station for help injured in Chapter 9?
(a) Her boyfriend assaulted her.
(b) Her stepfather attacked her with a beer bottle when she resisted a sexual assault.
(c) Her mother assaulted her.
(d) She was involved in a car accident.
5. What disease did one of the firefighters contract?
(c) A bacterial infection.
6. How many weeks did fireman's training last?
7. Why was Pat, Dennis' wife, willing to accept his remaining in a dangerous profession?
(a) She knew he was doing what he thought was right for the whole family.
(b) She knew his job was stable.
(c) She was proud that her husband was brave.
(d) She knew his salary would steadily increase and support the family.
8. How many shots did the police officer fire at the fleeing youth in front of the fire station in Chapter 6?
9. What actor was interviewed in the Playboy issue, read by Smith in Chapter 7?
(a) Elliott Gould.
(b) Jack Nicholson.
(c) Donald Sutherland.
(d) Marlon Brando.
10. Why did Fireman Jim Stack have to stay longer at the hospital after the Intervale Avenue fire in Chapter 10?
(a) He suffered severe burns.
(b) He had dangerously high blood pressure and nerve palpitations.
(c) He suffered a heart attack.
(d) He suffered severe smoke inhalation.
11. Why did the firemen call for police assistance while battling the Fox Street fire in Chapter 8?
(a) Residents were screaming at the firemen.
(b) There were looters in the area.
(c) There were people fighting in the street.
(d) They were attacked with garbage cans and iron balls.
12. Why did George say firefighters will never realize they are being duped?
(a) Because you had to be crazy to run into a fire and crazy people do not recognize reality.
(b) Because they took pride in providing for themselves.
(c) Because they knew the city would never help them.
(d) Because they were not smart enough to realize they were being duped.
13. What did Smith foresee when he first applied to become a firefighter?
(a) A high salary.
(b) An uneventful job.
(c) Stability and security.
(d) A chance to make a difference.
14. What is the Irish way of making tea, as described by Smith in Chapter 7?
(a) Cream and sugar.
(b) Black tea plain.
(c) Half tea and half milk.
(d) Black tea with sugar.
15. Who was temporarily in charge while Captain Albergray was on vacation in Chapter 10?
(a) Lieutenant Stack.
(b) Bill Valenzio.
(c) Lieutenant Collins.
(d) Artie Merritt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the firemen's training occur?
2. Why did Smith choose to transfer to Engine Co. 82?
3. What job did Smith take when he quit high school?
4. How did Smith march in the St. Patrick's Day parade in Chapter 6?
5. While responding to an apartment fire on Simpson Street in Chapter 7, what did the firefighters see two teenagers carrying down the stairs?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)