|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What holiday was being celebrated on Smith's day off in Chapter 7?
(a) Memorial Day.
(c) Fourth of July.
(d) Labor Day.
2. Why were the firefighters frustrated about budget issues?
(a) Layoffs were expected.
(b) The budget was being cut.
(c) Salaries were being cut.
(d) The firefighters themselves have always had to pay for basic station needs.
3. How many men competed for firemen positions that day?
4. Why did the firemen call for police assistance while battling the Fox Street fire in Chapter 8?
(a) They were attacked with garbage cans and iron balls.
(b) Residents were screaming at the firemen.
(c) There were people fighting in the street.
(d) There were looters in the area.
5. How did Smith view the fire department's amusement park trip for neighborhood children?
(a) He believed the kids who attended were not the ones who needed help the most.
(b) He believed most of the children were cynical about the trip.
(c) He believed it improved relations and made the children less likely to pull false alarms.
(d) He believed it was ultimately a waste of time.
6. How did being interviewed by Cynthia affect Smith's mood in Chapter 9?
(a) He was not affected at all.
(b) He was encouraged that there were decent, hardworking kids in South Bronx.
(c) He was confused about the future of local children.
(d) He was depressed because he saw nothing but heartache for Cynthia.
7. What free perk did New York firemen get?
(a) Free rides on the subway.
(b) Free clothes.
(c) Free admission to parks.
(d) Free taxi rides.
8. How much did the air pack weigh that Fireman Bill Kelsey put on his back while responding to the Southern Boulevard fire call in Chapter 8?
(a) Twenty-five pounds.
(b) Thirty pounds.
(c) Twenty pounds.
(d) Forty pounds.
9. To which classical literary figure does Smith refer when describing the wounds on the young girl assaulted by her stepfather in Chapter 9?
10. How did the firefighters eventually subdue the naked man on Southern Boulevard?
(a) By using a stun gun.
(b) By talking him into dropping the weapon.
(c) By wrapping him in a blanket.
(d) By tackling him.
11. Why did it take the firemen longer than usual to reach the large fire on Intervale Avenue in Chapter 10?
(a) They had been responding to a false alarm.
(b) They had been responding to an overdose.
(c) They had been responding to a car accident.
(d) They had been called to an arson fire at an abandoned building.
12. What did the woman do to the man whose Intervale Avenue apartment burned in Chapter 7?
(a) She went after him with a machete.
(b) She went after him with a knife.
(c) She threw a lamp at him.
(d) She pointed a gun at him.
13. Why were merchants good to firefighters (i.e., by giving them discounts) under the old system?
(a) They expected the firemen to be forgiving during inspections.
(b) They were required to offer discounts to firemen.
(c) They wanted to get faster response times during emergencies.
(d) They expected the firemen to protect them from arson.
14. Where did the firemen's training occur?
(a) Long Island.
(b) Welfare Island.
(c) Ellis Island.
(d) Staten Island.
15. What was the cause of the fire the men responded to at Union and 166th Street in Chapter 10?
(b) Electrical fire.
(c) Stove fire.
(d) Burning cigarette on a couch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Smith concerned about striking for better working conditions?
2. What did the naked man on Southern Boulevard wield as a weapon?
3. Why did Fireman Jim Stack have to stay longer at the hospital after the Intervale Avenue fire in Chapter 10?
4. What is the Irish way of making tea, as described by Smith in Chapter 7?
5. Why did Smith not eat hamburgers when fellow firefighters prepared them for the station dinner?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)