|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the minimum height for a fireman in New York?
2. Why were merchants good to firefighters (i.e., by giving them discounts) under the old system?
(a) They expected the firemen to be forgiving during inspections.
(b) They were required to offer discounts to firemen.
(c) They expected the firemen to protect them from arson.
(d) They wanted to get faster response times during emergencies.
3. Why were the firefighters frustrated about budget issues?
(a) Salaries were being cut.
(b) The budget was being cut.
(c) The firefighters themselves have always had to pay for basic station needs.
(d) Layoffs were expected.
4. Where did the firemen's training occur?
(a) Ellis Island.
(b) Long Island.
(c) Staten Island.
(d) Welfare Island.
5. How many shots did the police officer fire at the fleeing youth in front of the fire station in Chapter 6?
6. Why was Smith upset about the path Tina de Vega took in life?
(a) He worried that he could have done something to help her.
(b) He believes she should have left the South Bronx.
(c) He felt that nobody ever reached out to her.
(d) He was angry with her for throwing her life away.
7. How many stitches did Fireman Billy-o get in Chapter 7?
8. Why did George say firefighters will never realize they are being duped?
(a) Because they knew the city would never help them.
(b) Because they were not smart enough to realize they were being duped.
(c) Because you had to be crazy to run into a fire and crazy people do not recognize reality.
(d) Because they took pride in providing for themselves.
9. Why did Smith's mother hide the television under a bedspread?
(a) The TV was broken.
(b) She was afraid the TV would be stolen.
(c) She did not want her children watching TV.
(d) Welfare recipients were not allowed to have TVs or phones.
10. Approximately how many children were at the ice cream party in Chapter 9?
11. How did being interviewed by Cynthia affect Smith's mood in Chapter 9?
(a) He was not affected at all.
(b) He was confused about the future of local children.
(c) He was encouraged that there were decent, hardworking kids in South Bronx.
(d) He was depressed because he saw nothing but heartache for Cynthia.
12. At what age did Smith drop out of school?
13. What film does Smith reference when discussing the station's housekeeping chores in Chapter 10?
(a) Sleeping Beauty.
(b) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
14. What did the welfare inspector recommend to the welfare agency after the visit?
(a) He recommended an increase in benefits so the family could have more to eat.
(b) He recommended a decrease in benefits when he saw the television.
(c) He recommended an increase in benefits so that the children could get winter coats.
(d) He recommended no change in benefits.
15. What did Smith foresee when he first applied to become a firefighter?
(a) A chance to make a difference.
(b) A high salary.
(c) Stability and security.
(d) An uneventful job.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Smith view the fire department's amusement park trip for neighborhood children?
2. What did the cockroaches symbolize in Smith's view?
3. To which classical literary figure does Smith refer when describing the wounds on the young girl assaulted by her stepfather in Chapter 9?
4. How did Smith march in the St. Patrick's Day parade in Chapter 6?
5. Why did the firemen call for police assistance while battling the Fox Street fire in Chapter 8?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)