|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Smith see in Fireman Billy-o as he held the baby who died in the fire?
(d) His humanity.
2. Why did one firefighter want to start up a collection at the station in Chapter 7?
(a) To replace the stove and improve eating conditions.
(b) To pay for the firefighter's medical care.
(c) To replace the refrigerator.
(d) To replace the dishwasher and improve their unsterile eating conditions.
3. Where did the firemen's training occur?
(a) Welfare Island.
(b) Long Island.
(c) Staten Island.
(d) Ellis Island.
4. Approximately how many children were at the ice cream party in Chapter 9?
5. Why did Smith not eat hamburgers when fellow firefighters prepared them for the station dinner?
(a) He felt they weren't healthy enough.
(b) He needed to lose weight.
(c) He was a vegetarion.
(d) He had to live on hamburgers during his poverty-stricken childhood.
6. Why did the Fire Department persist in holding parties for children who regularly harassed firefighters?
(a) They were trying to build bridges within the community.
(b) They hoped to make it easier to catch the pranksters.
(c) They were required to do so by the city officials.
(d) They were required to do so by neighborhood officials.
7. What kind of living quarters did Dennis Smith grow up in?
(a) A New York City high-rise studio apartment.
(b) A single-family house in Flushing.
(c) A New York City tenement.
(d) A townhouse in the Bronx.
8. How did the firefighters eventually subdue the naked man on Southern Boulevard?
(a) By wrapping him in a blanket.
(b) By using a stun gun.
(c) By tackling him.
(d) By talking him into dropping the weapon.
9. How old was Tina when Smith first met her?
10. Why did Smith think his school principal and mother were wrong to lament his dropping out?
(a) He believed he'd make a lot of money working instead.
(b) He did not think he was good enough at academics.
(c) He believed school was a waste of time.
(d) He wanted to get out of New York.
11. What did the welfare inspector recommend to the welfare agency after the visit?
(a) He recommended an increase in benefits so the family could have more to eat.
(b) He recommended an increase in benefits so that the children could get winter coats.
(c) He recommended a decrease in benefits when he saw the television.
(d) He recommended no change in benefits.
12. What was the name of the young prostitute who lived in the neighborhood served by Engine Co. 82?
(a) Jennifer Rodriguez.
(b) Marisol Vega.
(c) Tina Sanchez.
(d) Tina deVega.
13. What did the naked man on Southern Boulevard wield as a weapon?
(a) A baseball bat.
(b) A butcher knife.
(c) A handgun.
(d) A whip.
14. Why did it take the firemen longer than usual to reach the large fire on Intervale Avenue in Chapter 10?
(a) They had been responding to a car accident.
(b) They had been responding to a false alarm.
(c) They had been responding to an overdose.
(d) They had been called to an arson fire at an abandoned building.
15. For which radical group was the group of Park Avenue residents raising money in the magazine article read by Smith in Chapter 7?
(a) Students for a Democratic Society.
(b) Gray Panthers.
(c) Black Panthers.
(d) Symbionese Liberation Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the cockroaches symbolize in Smith's view?
2. Why did Smith's mother hide the television under a bedspread?
3. How must firefighters find the rewards in their profession?
4. Where did Smith take the application test?
5. Why were the teens carrying the items out of the Simpson Street apartment building?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)