|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did firefighters find at the scene of the fire at the Kelly Street apartments?
(a) Burned food on a stove.
(b) Molotov cocktails.
(c) Three gas cans, pointing to arson.
(d) Faulty wiring.
2. Approximately how many firefighters died each year in New York at the time the book was written?
3. What happened to several firefighters (including Smith) fighting a blaze at a two-story factory building?
(a) A fire broke out behind them.
(b) The windows began breaking.
(c) The roof caved in.
(d) The floor gave away.
4. Why do some kids pull false fire alarms, according to the book?
(a) They are hired to pull alarms by arsonists.
(b) They dare one another.
(c) They are neglected and want to see the excitement of fire trucks racing
(d) They do not understand that the alarms will trigger visits by the fire department.
5. Why did the John Birch Society want a local teacher in Washingtonville fired?
(a) Because the teacher was an active union member.
(b) Because the teacher allowed a student to draw an American flag surrounded by question marks.
(c) Because they felt the teacher was ineffective.
(d) Because the teacher was an outspoken opponent of the war in Vietnam.
6. What two famous people once ran for Mayor and City Council President?
(a) Norman Mailer and Jimmy Breslin.
(b) Woody Allen and Philip Roth.
(c) Woody Allen and Jimmy Breslin.
(d) Woody Allen and Normal Mailer.
7. Which captain entered the Kelly Street apartment first?
(a) Capt. Smith.
(b) Capt. Frimes.
(c) Capt. O'Brien.
(d) Capt. Solwen.
8. What field did Smith's wife want him to go into instead of firefighting?
9. How did Smith believe the city was treated by the state?
(a) He felt the state tried to control the city.
(b) He felt the state put too much emphasis on the city.
(c) He felt the state took the city's tax money, but failed to provide adequate services.
(d) He felt the state placed too many requirements on the city.
10. What did the firefighters discover when they arrived at the Kelly Street fire in Chapter 1?
(a) A young man calling from an open window.
(b) A young man fleeing the scene.
(c) A young man, on fire, running out of the building.
(d) A young woman screaming that her child is in the building.
11. What happened to Dennis as a child involving cockroaches?
(a) He had woken up at night to find himself covered with cockroaches.
(b) He had discovered dozens of cockroaches in the refrigerator.
(c) He had drunk from a bottle and almost swallowed a cockroach.
(d) He had accidentally eaten a cockroach hidden in food.
12. What do the firemen call the "game" they play when they ask one another if they may relieve another fireman during a fire?
(a) "Steal the nozzle."
(b) "Steal the nob."
(c) "Grab the nob."
(d) "Steal the hose."
13. In what town did Smith live while working in the South Bronx?
(b) New Paltz.
14. How was Fireman Nick Riso injured while responding to a call?
(a) He was involved in a car accident.
(b) Someone threw a brick at him while he was responding to a call.
(c) He was injured in a fire.
(d) He suffered smoke inhalation.
15. Which firefighter died shortly before the time Chapter 2 takes place?
(a) Mike Sullivan.
(b) Mike O'Brien.
(c) Bob Starr.
(d) Mike Carr.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the firefighters find on Freeman Street during one of the calls in Chapter 3?
2. What kind of test was Fireman Benny Carroll studying for in Chapter 3?
3. How many injured people were found in the Kelly Street apartment?
4. How did the firefighters save the life of the overdose victim on Hoe Avenue?
5. Why did Smith move outside the city after growing up there?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)