|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately how many calls did Engine Co. 82 respond to the year before the book was written?
(a) Over 10,500.
(b) Under 8,000.
(c) Over 9,000.
(d) Over 10,000.
2. What orders did the doctors give Smith after his injury from the Prospect Avenue fire?
(a) Get extra sleep.
(b) Do not work for a few weeks.
(c) Do not talk much or smoke for a few weeks.
(d) Do not talk at all.
3. Approximately how many firefighters died each year in New York at the time the book was written?
4. How was Fireman Nick Riso injured while responding to a call?
(a) Someone threw a brick at him while he was responding to a call.
(b) He was injured in a fire.
(c) He was involved in a car accident.
(d) He suffered smoke inhalation.
5. How long did Smith take off to recover from the throat damage he sustained during the Prospect Avenue fire in Chapter 3?
(a) One week.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One month.
(d) Five days.
6. What injury did the young Hispanic boy suffer during the dinner time call to Home and Simpson streets?
(a) Abrasions and bruises.
(b) A broken arm.
(c) A broken leg.
(d) A broken neck.
7. What was the Kelly Street apartment landlord charged with after the fire?
(a) One count of arson.
(b) Two counts of murder.
(c) He was not charged.
(d) One count of murder.
8. What did the ladder company do to get to the source of the smoke at the Charlotte Street fire?
(a) Ripped holes in the wall.
(b) Ventilated the roof.
(c) Broke the windows.
(d) Broke down all the doors inside.
9. What did the firefighters find on Freeman Street during one of the calls in Chapter 3?
(a) A man injured in a fight.
(b) A burning store.
(c) A burning car.
(d) A car accident.
10. Which magazine asked Smith to write about firefighters?
11. Where on his body did Fireman Bill Kelsey get burned while battling the Charlotte Street blaze?
(a) On his chest.
(b) On his back.
(c) On his left. arm.
(d) On his thigh.
12. Why did the men take turns manning the hose while battling the apartment building fire in Chapter 5?
(a) Because they were physically tired.
(b) Because they were sleepy.
(c) To get a break from the cold weather.
(d) Because some of them were in training.
13. Who was the second injured person found by firefighters at the Home and Simpson streets intersection, and how was he injured?
(a) The driver; he had been beaten by the angry crowd.
(b) The boy's friend, who was also hit.
(c) The driver; he sustained the injuries in the accident.
(d) A bystander mistaken for the driver and beaten.
14. According to the film Smith saw at a recent science fair, how much bigger than the earth is the sun?
(a) 50 times.
(b) 150 times.
(c) 110 times.
(d) 200 times.
15. What is the primary problem with New York City, in Smith's eyes?
(a) It is not integrated.
(b) It is simply too big.
(c) There are too many minorities.
(d) It is too poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two companies were prohibited from responding to the same fire under the new plan?
2. Why did the plan not work out?
3. Which captain entered the Kelly Street apartment first?
4. What were the three young men doing in the empty Kelly Street apartment building?
5. How did Smith believe the city was treated by the state?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)