|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the national magazine started by Smith after writing the memoir?
(a) American Firefighter.
(b) The Station.
(d) Firefighting Today.
2. What were the three young men doing in the empty Kelly Street apartment building?
(a) They were fixing the apartments up for future rental.
(b) They were homeless and were squatting there.
(c) They were selling drugs in the empty apartments.
(d) They were hired by the landlord to torch it.
3. How did Smith's attitude toward cockroaches change as an adult?
(a) His attitude does not change and he continues to fear them.
(b) He used to fear them; now he simply hates them.
(c) He used to fear them; now he sees that they are part of the lancscape.
(d) He used to fear them; now he resents them.
4. What kind of tool did the firefighters use to break down the door during the Kelly Street fire?
(a) Mulligan tool.
(b) Sullivan tool.
(c) Halligan tool.
(d) Donegan tool.
5. Which firefighter died shortly before the time Chapter 2 takes place?
(a) Mike Carr.
(b) Bob Starr.
(c) Mike Sullivan.
(d) Mike O'Brien.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the John Birch Society want a local teacher in Washingtonville fired?
2. Which Irish writer did Smith discuss in his letter to the editor?
3. What is the primary problem with New York City, in Smith's eyes?
4. How did Smith feel when first approached about writing a memoir of firefighting?
5. How do firefighters get enough oxygen when a building is thick with smoke?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)