|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Smith's view, what needed to happen before people stopped assaulting firefighters?
(a) They need to be arrested and jailed.
(b) They need to do community service projects.
(c) They need to lose custody of their children.
(d) They need to become educated and rise out of poverty.
2. What was the average daily number of false alarms in New York City during the time period covered by the book?
3. To which publication did Dennis Smith write a letter that caught the attention of editors?
(a) New York Times.
(b) New York Times Book Review.
(c) Washington Post.
(d) Time magazine.
4. Why did Smith's mother scold him before he left for work in Chapter 3?
(a) She argued with him about dinner.
(b) She did not want him to be a firefighter.
(c) She wanted him to move closer to his job.
(d) She believed the South Bronx was too dangerous to work in.
5. What injury did the young Hispanic boy suffer during the dinner time call to Home and Simpson streets?
(a) A broken neck.
(b) Abrasions and bruises.
(c) A broken leg.
(d) A broken arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do arsonists sometimes do when they leave the scene of a fire?
2. What was the name of the strong fireman who single-handedly replaced the hose at the end of Chapter 5?
3. How was Fireman Nick Riso injured while responding to a call?
4. How did Smith view the firefighters he wrote about in the book compared to firefighters across the country?
5. What happened to the young man seen running from the Kelly Street apartment?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)