|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the firemen call the "game" they play when they ask one another if they may relieve another fireman during a fire?
(a) "Steal the nob."
(b) "Grab the nob."
(c) "Steal the hose."
(d) "Steal the nozzle."
2. Why did the plan not work out?
(a) Engine Co. 82 had a dramatic increase in calls.
(b) There was confusion about which company should respond to which fires.
(c) Ladder Co. 31 had a dramatic increase in calls.
(d) Each company had a dramatic increase in calls.
3. How does Smith describe his political leanings?
4. How did the firefighter die in the previous incident mentioned in Chapter 2?
(a) He died of smoke inhalation while battling a fire.
(b) He was badly burned in a fire.
(c) He fell off the fire truck as it rounded a corner and died from his injuries.
(d) He suffered a heart attack.
5. What did the firefighters find on Freeman Street during one of the calls in Chapter 3?
(a) A man injured in a fight.
(b) A burning car.
(c) A burning store.
(d) A car accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Irish writer did Smith discuss in his letter to the editor?
2. What is Washingtonville's main claim to historical significance?
3. How does Smith envision false alarms occurring in richer neighborhoods?
4. How did the boy sustain the injuries suffered in the incident at Home and Simpson streets in Chapter 2?
5. Which writer once suggested that the story finds the author?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)