|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What orders did the doctors give Smith after his injury from the Prospect Avenue fire?
(a) Do not work for a few weeks.
(b) Do not talk much or smoke for a few weeks.
(c) Get extra sleep.
(d) Do not talk at all.
2. Why did the John Birch Society want a local teacher in Washingtonville fired?
(a) Because the teacher was an active union member.
(b) Because the teacher allowed a student to draw an American flag surrounded by question marks.
(c) Because they felt the teacher was ineffective.
(d) Because the teacher was an outspoken opponent of the war in Vietnam.
3. For which time period did Smith work as a firefighter in the South Bronx?
4. Why was one of the firefighters upset about the Vietnam War protesters?
(a) He supported the war effort.
(b) He felt they were in college simply because it helped them avoid the draft.
(c) He was upset about the disruption to society.
(d) He felt the protesters did not understand the war.
5. To what experience does Smith compare his work for the fire department in the Introduction?
(c) Police work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was responsible for the most malicious false alarms?
2. How did Smith feel when first approached about writing a memoir of firefighting?
3. What is the primary problem with New York City, in Smith's eyes?
4. Which firefighter died shortly before the time Chapter 2 takes place?
5. How was Fireman Nick Riso injured while responding to a call?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)