|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which firefighter died shortly before the time Chapter 2 takes place?
(a) Bob Starr.
(b) Mike Sullivan.
(c) Mike Carr.
(d) Mike O'Brien.
2. Approximately how many calls did Engine Co. 82 respond to the year before the book was written?
(a) Over 9,000.
(b) Over 10,500.
(c) Under 8,000.
(d) Over 10,000.
3. What is the name of the institute started by Smith after publication of the book?
(a) Foundation for the Health and Safety of American Firefighters.
(b) Institute for the Study of Health and Fire Safety.
(c) Firefighters United for Health and Safety.
(d) American Firefighters Health and Safety Institute.
4. What do arsonists sometimes do when they leave the scene of a fire?
(a) They gather evidence of arson and take it away.
(b) They leave booby traps to hurt firefighters.
(c) They call the fire department anonymously.
(d) They do not call the fire department to report the fire.
5. What caused the fire at Union Avenue, the first call Smith responded to after his return to work?
(a) Faulty wiring.
(b) Food burning on a stove.
(d) Children playing with matches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two famous people once ran for Mayor and City Council President?
2. What was the average daily number of false alarms in New York City during the time period covered by the book?
3. What were the three young men doing in the empty Kelly Street apartment building?
4. Why did Smith's mother scold him before he left for work in Chapter 3?
5. How did Smith remember details for the book while working full-time?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)