|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do arsonists sometimes do when they leave the scene of a fire?
(a) They do not call the fire department to report the fire.
(b) They call the fire department anonymously.
(c) They leave booby traps to hurt firefighters.
(d) They gather evidence of arson and take it away.
2. How did Smith's wife compare his job to that of a soldier's in Vietnam?
(a) There was more job security as a soldier.
(b) Soldiers were better-paid.
(c) It was safer in Vietnam.
(d) In Vietnam, soldiers only had to serve for a year.
3. How was a firefighter injured while rescuing a child from a fire on Prospect Avenue?
(a) He suffered smoke inhalation.
(b) He fell through a hole in the floor.
(c) He was struck by falling debris.
(d) He broke his ankle going down the stairs.
4. In which borough did Smith serve?
(c) South Bronx.
(d) Lower East Side.
5. Why did Smith insist on working in the South Bronx?
(a) He had relatives there.
(b) He lived close to the South Bronx.
(c) The pay was better.
(d) He believed the people there had a right to fire services.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before discovering the culprit, how did Smith describe the fatal fire on Kelly Street?
2. Why does Smith say there are fewer fires today compared to the period during which he served?
3. What did the sound of four 5 bells announce at the fire station?
4. To which publication did Dennis Smith write a letter that caught the attention of editors?
5. What did the firefighters find on Freeman Street during one of the calls in Chapter 3?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)