|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to several firefighters (including Smith) fighting a blaze at a two-story factory building?
(a) A fire broke out behind them.
(b) The floor gave away.
(c) The roof caved in.
(d) The windows began breaking.
2. What kind of tool did the firefighters use to break down the door during the Kelly Street fire?
(a) Sullivan tool.
(b) Donegan tool.
(c) Mulligan tool.
(d) Halligan tool.
3. What did Smith consider the most admirable characteristic of firefighters?
(a) Their bravery.
(b) Their strength.
(c) Their reliability.
(d) Their committment to community.
4. What was the name of the strong fireman who single-handedly replaced the hose at the end of Chapter 5?
(c) Billy Valenzia.
(d) Benny Carroll.
5. Why did Smith think his school principal and mother were wrong to lament his dropping out?
(a) He wanted to get out of New York.
(b) He believed he'd make a lot of money working instead.
(c) He did not think he was good enough at academics.
(d) He believed school was a waste of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two famous people once ran for Mayor and City Council President?
2. Why did the firefighters not enter the burning apartment building in Chapter 5?
3. What did Fireman Big Van of Ladder 42 drink once he quit drinking beer?
4. What injury did the young Hispanic boy suffer during the dinner time call to Home and Simpson streets?
5. How did Smith view the firefighters he wrote about in the book compared to firefighters across the country?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)