|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was wrong with the furnace room where the firefighters retreated for warmth during the Charlotte Street fire?
(a) It was filled with cockroaches.
(b) The furnace was not working.
(c) It was filled with mice.
(d) The roof had caved in.
2. Which two companies were prohibited from responding to the same fire under the new plan?
(a) 82 and 90.
(b) 85 and 87.
(c) 82 and 85.
(d) 82 and 92.
3. Why do some kids pull false fire alarms, according to the book?
(a) They dare one another.
(b) They are neglected and want to see the excitement of fire trucks racing
(c) They do not understand that the alarms will trigger visits by the fire department.
(d) They are hired to pull alarms by arsonists.
4. What do arsonists sometimes do when they leave the scene of a fire?
(a) They leave booby traps to hurt firefighters.
(b) They do not call the fire department to report the fire.
(c) They gather evidence of arson and take it away.
(d) They call the fire department anonymously.
5. How did the boy sustain the injuries suffered in the incident at Home and Simpson streets in Chapter 2?
(a) He fell from his bike while riding.
(b) He was struck by a car.
(c) He was injured while playing ball.
(d) He was beaten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Smith call firefighters the most "ubiquitous" civil servants?
2. Who was responsible for the fire at the Kelly Street apartments?
3. Why was Pat, Dennis' wife, willing to accept his remaining in a dangerous profession?
4. How long did Smith take off to recover from the throat damage he sustained during the Prospect Avenue fire in Chapter 3?
5. Which writer once suggested that the story finds the author?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)