|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Smith drop out of school?
2. What did Fireman Big Van of Ladder 42 drink once he quit drinking beer?
3. How does Smith describe the racial characteristics of Washingtonville?
(a) There are blacks and whites and they are integrated.
(b) The town is predominately black.
(c) There are blacks and whites, but they live in separate sections of town.
(d) The town is overwhelmingly white.
4. To which publication did Dennis Smith write a letter that caught the attention of editors?
(a) Time magazine.
(b) New York Times Book Review.
(c) New York Times.
(d) Washington Post.
5. How did Smith view the Kelly Street fire after the culprit was found?
(a) An example of ironic justice.
(b) An example of the real devil getting away and the children being victimized.
(c) An example of divine justice.
(d) A preventable crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on his body did Fireman Bill Kelsey get burned while battling the Charlotte Street blaze?
2. What did Smith find buried under the rubble at the Charlotte Street apartment in Chapter 5?
3. How many injured people were found in the Kelly Street apartment?
4. What is Washingtonville's main claim to historical significance?
5. What was the average daily number of false alarms in New York City during the time period covered by the book?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)