|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the firefighters have a difficult time getting into one of the Kelly Street apartments?
(a) The door was locked.
(b) The door was barricaded.
(c) The door was extremely hot.
(d) The door lacked a doorknob.
2. Why was Smith upset about the path Tina de Vega took in life?
(a) He worried that he could have done something to help her.
(b) He was angry with her for throwing her life away.
(c) He believes she should have left the South Bronx.
(d) He felt that nobody ever reached out to her.
3. Approximately how many firefighters died each year in New York at the time the book was written?
4. Who was the second injured person found by firefighters at the Home and Simpson streets intersection, and how was he injured?
(a) The boy's friend, who was also hit.
(b) A bystander mistaken for the driver and beaten.
(c) The driver; he sustained the injuries in the accident.
(d) The driver; he had been beaten by the angry crowd.
5. What options did the firefighters have when they were trapped between the two blazes at the factory building?
(a) They had no options.
(b) They could jump out the windows or climb to the roof.
(c) They could all focus on one fire or split up and tackle both.
(d) They could wait for another team to arrive or jump out the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. What orders did the doctors give Smith after his injury from the Prospect Avenue fire?
2. What is the name of the national magazine started by Smith after writing the memoir?
3. How does Smith describe his political leanings?
4. How long did Smith take off to recover from the throat damage he sustained during the Prospect Avenue fire in Chapter 3?
5. Why did the John Birch Society want a local teacher in Washingtonville fired?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)