|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which writer once suggested that the story finds the author?
(a) Sarah Orne Jewett..
(b) Shirley Jackson.
(c) Charlotte Gilman.
(d) Katherine Anne Porter.
2. What did firefighters find at the scene of the fire at the Kelly Street apartments?
(a) Molotov cocktails.
(b) Three gas cans, pointing to arson.
(c) Faulty wiring.
(d) Burned food on a stove.
3. What did the sound of four 5 bells announce at the fire station?
(a) The death of a firefighter in the line of duty.
(b) A car accident.
(c) Injuries to a firefighter.
(d) A multiple-alarm fire.
4. How did Smith view the firefighters he wrote about in the book compared to firefighters across the country?
(a) They are unique in their level of bravery.
(b) They are representative of all firefighters.
(c) They are unique in their experiences.
(d) They are the most skilled.
5. In Smith's view, what needed to happen before people stopped assaulting firefighters?
(a) They need to be arrested and jailed.
(b) They need to lose custody of their children.
(c) They need to do community service projects.
(d) They need to become educated and rise out of poverty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Irish writer did Smith discuss in his letter to the editor?
2. Why was one of the firefighters upset about the Vietnam War protesters?
3. What kind of tool did the firefighters use to break down the door during the Kelly Street fire?
4. How did Smith remember details for the book while working full-time?
5. Why did Smith want to re-read the Yeats poem about wise men becoming tense with violence before they can accomplish fate?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)