|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Smith feel when first approached about writing a memoir of firefighting?
(a) Concerned that he would be incapable of writing.
(b) Concerned that he did not know enough about firefighting.
(c) Convinced that people would never understand firefighters.
(d) Challenged by the act of writing the way climbers are challenged by mountains.
2. Who was the second injured person found by firefighters at the Home and Simpson streets intersection, and how was he injured?
(a) The driver; he sustained the injuries in the accident.
(b) The driver; he had been beaten by the angry crowd.
(c) A bystander mistaken for the driver and beaten.
(d) The boy's friend, who was also hit.
3. Why did the firefighters have a difficult time getting into one of the Kelly Street apartments?
(a) The door was locked.
(b) The door lacked a doorknob.
(c) The door was barricaded.
(d) The door was extremely hot.
4. Why did Smith want to re-read the Yeats poem about wise men becoming tense with violence before they can accomplish fate?
(a) He was trying to understand what causes some men to willingly go into burning buildings.
(b) He was trying to take his mind off his work.
(c) He was preparing another letter to the editor.
(d) He was trying to understand the situation of people throwing rocks at firefighters.
5. What were the three young men doing in the empty Kelly Street apartment building?
(a) They were selling drugs in the empty apartments.
(b) They were hired by the landlord to torch it.
(c) They were homeless and were squatting there.
(d) They were fixing the apartments up for future rental.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the sound of four 5 bells announce at the fire station?
2. What injury did the young Hispanic boy suffer during the dinner time call to Home and Simpson streets?
3. How did Smith view the Kelly Street fire after the culprit was found?
4. How many injured people were found in the Kelly Street apartment?
5. How do firefighters get enough oxygen when a building is thick with smoke?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)