|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the strong fireman who single-handedly replaced the hose at the end of Chapter 5?
(b) Billy Valenzia.
(d) Benny Carroll.
2. Why do some kids pull false fire alarms, according to the book?
(a) They are neglected and want to see the excitement of fire trucks racing
(b) They dare one another.
(c) They do not understand that the alarms will trigger visits by the fire department.
(d) They are hired to pull alarms by arsonists.
3. What did the ladder company do to get to the source of the smoke at the Charlotte Street fire?
(a) Ripped holes in the wall.
(b) Broke the windows.
(c) Ventilated the roof.
(d) Broke down all the doors inside.
4. What happened to Dennis as a child involving cockroaches?
(a) He had accidentally eaten a cockroach hidden in food.
(b) He had woken up at night to find himself covered with cockroaches.
(c) He had discovered dozens of cockroaches in the refrigerator.
(d) He had drunk from a bottle and almost swallowed a cockroach.
5. Why was Smith upset about the path Tina de Vega took in life?
(a) He worried that he could have done something to help her.
(b) He believes she should have left the South Bronx.
(c) He felt that nobody ever reached out to her.
(d) He was angry with her for throwing her life away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury did the young Hispanic boy suffer during the dinner time call to Home and Simpson streets?
2. Why did Smith think his school principal and mother were wrong to lament his dropping out?
3. How did Smith's attitude toward cockroaches change as an adult?
4. What did Fireman Big Van of Ladder 42 drink once he quit drinking beer?
5. Why did the firemen call for police assistance while battling the Fox Street fire in Chapter 8?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)