|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did the air pack weigh that Fireman Bill Kelsey put on his back while responding to the Southern Boulevard fire call in Chapter 8?
(a) Twenty pounds.
(b) Forty pounds.
(c) Thirty pounds.
(d) Twenty-five pounds.
2. Who was the second injured person found by firefighters at the Home and Simpson streets intersection, and how was he injured?
(a) The driver; he sustained the injuries in the accident.
(b) The boy's friend, who was also hit.
(c) A bystander mistaken for the driver and beaten.
(d) The driver; he had been beaten by the angry crowd.
3. Why did the firefighters not enter the burning apartment building in Chapter 5?
(a) They could attack the fire more effectively from outside.
(b) Therewere no unblocked entrances.
(c) There was nobody in the building.
(d) The roof had collapsed and it was too dangerous to enter.
4. What ethnic group was now predominate in the formerly Irish neighborhood in which Smith grew up?
(b) Puerto Ricans.
5. What did the sound of four 5 bells announce at the fire station?
(a) A car accident.
(b) Injuries to a firefighter.
(c) The death of a firefighter in the line of duty.
(d) A multiple-alarm fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fireman Big Van of Ladder 42 drink once he quit drinking beer?
2. How did the firefighters save the life of the overdose victim on Hoe Avenue?
3. Approximately how many calls did Engine Co. 82 respond to the year before the book was written?
4. What was the name of the young prostitute who lived in the neighborhood served by Engine Co. 82?
5. How did Smith's attitude toward cockroaches change as an adult?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)