|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Smith's attitude toward cockroaches change as an adult?
(a) He used to fear them; now he sees that they are part of the lancscape.
(b) He used to fear them; now he resents them.
(c) He used to fear them; now he simply hates them.
(d) His attitude does not change and he continues to fear them.
2. How were the men rescued during the factory fire?
(a) Another team arrived and put out the fires.
(b) They were able to jump out the windows.
(c) One of the fires was put out and they retreated in that direction.
(d) The fire chief sent a ladder up.
3. How did the Charlotte Street fire become easier to battle?
(a) Rain began falling.
(b) The winds shifted.
(c) The rest of the roof caved in.
(d) More firefighters arrived on the scene.
4. What did the cockroaches symbolize in Smith's view?
5. What options did the firefighters have when they were trapped between the two blazes at the factory building?
(a) They could all focus on one fire or split up and tackle both.
(b) They had no options.
(c) They could wait for another team to arrive or jump out the window.
(d) They could jump out the windows or climb to the roof.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was responsible for the most malicious false alarms?
2. What was the name of the strong fireman who single-handedly replaced the hose at the end of Chapter 5?
3. Why did Smith think his school principal and mother were wrong to lament his dropping out?
4. How did the boy sustain the injuries suffered in the incident at Home and Simpson streets in Chapter 2?
5. What do the firemen call the "game" they play when they ask one another if they may relieve another fireman during a fire?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)