|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mercer suggests that New York is intended to make what?
2. According to the Ambassador from Mercury, what is stored in a central information bank within Rama?
3. Who asks the Commander to send a priority message to the earth?
4. What is the justification the Ambassador from Mercury gives for dispatching a high-energy nuclear device to Rama?
5. What instruction is given to Jimmy regarding his entry into the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Chapter 17 entitled "Spring'?
2. Explain the differences Jimmy Pak observed in the southern and northern ends of Rama.
3. What are some of the ways the Commander considered to travel to the South Pole?
4. Explain the supposed similarities between a termite colony and Rama.
5. Why are Hermians compared to Spartans?
6. Describe the first creature that is encountered on Rama.
7. Who is the only member of the crew that seems comfortable with the sights now illuminated on Rama?
8. Commander Norton speculates about the origin of the lights on Rama. What are some of his theories?
9. Describe the flower that Jimmy Pak finds on Rama.
10. According to Chapter 23, why is Ravi McAndrews considered one of the last people on the Endeavour to normally engage in a technical discussion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the expectations that the Rama Committee has for the origins, age, and findings for Rama versus the reality. How are they the same? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Exercise and fitness is an important theme in the book. Command decisions were made based on how fit or unfit the Endeavour personnel were at any given moment. Part One: Pick two characters and explain how their fitness level influenced decisions and events in the book. Part Two: Explain whether or not we are more fit or less fit than the characters in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Leadership when in a difficult situation is important to a successful outcome. Commander Norton has a definite leadership style. What is it and how does he express it? What seems to be his biggest concern when making decisions? What seems to be his motivation? Pick three decisions he made that show his leadership style and explain what his decision was and whether or not you agree with what he did. If you do not agree, what action would you have taken instead?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)