|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Commander choose to land the Endeavour off-center?
2. What does the first images of Rama prove?
3. How does the book describe the world's population at the end of the 21st century?
4. During the initial exploration of Rama, what is the temperature like?
5. In Chapter 10, how do the explorers descend the ladder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What precautions are taken to ensure the safety of the exploration crew? Why is it unnecessary to supply breathing gear on Rama?
2. What was the most mysterious characteristic of the object known as 31/439?
3. What are some of the problems involving having simps on board?
4. What do the members of the Rama Committee think of Commander Norton?
5. After the initial news media fuss, why did all the world forget about Rama, except for the astronomers?
6. Describe the theories put forth to the Rama Committee about the age of Rama.
7. What was the initial response to the catastrophic destruction of 2077?
8. What is cocooning or mothballing, as referred to in Chapter 14?
9. The Rama Committed is concerned about an ominous possibility that they consider to be likely. What is it?
10. When do objects like 31/439 obtain a name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The seven members of the Rama Committee each have a specific point of view about the situation with Rama. These points of view change as they learn more about Rama and it either supports or does not support their life's work or a cause dear to them. Pick three of the members of the Rama Committee and compare and contrast their points of view. Use examples from the beginning, middle, and end of the book to show how their points of view evolve throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Rendezvous with Rama is a novel filled with suspense and mystery. Part One: What are the three most suspenseful events in the novel ? Describe the three events that kept you on the edge of your seat, breathless to find out what was going to happen. Did you predict the outcome correctly or did you have no idea what would happen next? Part Two: What are the three biggest mysteries in the novel? Was the mystery ever fully revealed, or does mystery remain? If the author left questions unanswered, what purpose does it serve in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
There are two extreme positions about Rama in the book--the position of the Hermians and the position of the explorers. Describe these two positions. Compare and contrast these two positions using characters' behavior and events to prove your point.
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)