|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the normal "day" for a normal asteroid versus one for Rama?
(a) About the same as for the Earth and the Moon.
(b) About the same as for Mars and Venus.
(c) Several hours versus four minutes.
(d) Nearly twelve hours versus about an hour.
2. What is unusual about object 31/439?
(a) It is given a name of a mythological creature.
(b) It has a diameter of forty kilometers and is traveling in an atypical asteroidal path.
(c) It is traveling in an ellipse with clockwork precision that is retraced every few years.
(d) It is traveling straight past the orbits of the inner planets and will impact the Sun.
3. According to Chapter 9, Rama's orbit is heading directly to where?
(a) The Milky Way.
(b) The outer planets of the solar system.
(c) The solar system, and much to close to the sun.
(d) The galaxy of Andromeda.
4. What ships can catch up with Rama before it leaves the solar system?
(a) Only the Endeavour.
(b) Only the Challenger.
(c) The Calypso, Beagle, and Challenger.
(d) The Calypso, Beagle, and Endeavour.
5. What are the only items the explorers must bring to Rama?
(a) Food, water, and airsuits.
(b) Air tanks, water, and thermosuits.
(c) Water, food, and rebreathers.
(d) Food, water, and thermosuits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Commander choose to land the Endeavour off-center?
2. Twice a day the explorers must perform an action. What is it?
3. What words does the author use to portray the vast majority of asteroids?
4. Why is a cloud of vapor sent toward Rama?
5. What does the first images of Rama prove?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does Commander Norton believe he has learned after seeing the Straight Valley?
2. Describe the theories put forth to the Rama Committee about the age of Rama.
3. Why is Commander Norton concerned about how Boris Rodrigo may react after disembarking to explore Rama?
4. Name two things that concerned Commander Norton about landing on Rama.
5. According to Chapter 4, what unusual action was taken so that Rama could intercept Rama?
6. Describe the devastation that occurred on September 11, 2077.
7. What is discovered about Rama once it is photographed by the cameras released by Sita?
8. SPACEGUARD computers are used for what purpose?
9. What precautions are taken to ensure the exploration party will be safe on Rama?
10. What were the characteristics of the object known as 31/439 that set it apart from other asteroids?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)