|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Baked Alaska mentioned in Chapter 14?
(a) Because Rama is hot on the outside and cold on the inside, like a Baked Alaska dessert,
(b) Because it is a reminder of Earth.
(c) Because it is a favorite at U.P. banquets.
(d) Because Baked Alaska is the most complicated dessert the Simps can make.
2. Why is Dr. Bose "exiled" from the Earth?
(a) He has a contagious virus.
(b) He is too sentimental to leave his adopted home.
(c) He cannot face reconditioning.
(d) Earth is uninhabitable.
3. In Chapter 12, Norton notices something remarkable as he is exploring. What is it?
(a) There are no signs of wear and tear.
(b) Normal walking is possible in the lowered gravity.
(c) Ramans must have been physical-fitness fanatics.
(d) He could take Rama for granted despite its size.
4. What loss is so great that it was beyond all computation?
(a) The loss of beautiful dawns and sunsets all over the world.
(b) The loss to art, to history, to science--and to the whole human race, for the rest of time.
(c) The loss of six hundred thousand people.
(d) The loss of resources and skills acquired during the twentieth century.
5. In Chapter 13, what does Joe Calvert do to entertain himself and the rest of the explorers?
(a) Tell jokes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many asteroids are being discovered by PROJECT SPACEGUARD by the year 2130?
2. How does one astronomer refer to asteroids?
3. What does the first images of Rama prove?
4. When the pillbox-shaped structure starts to move, it looks like what object?
5. What does Joe Calvert assume about the builders of Rama?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the members of the Rama Committee think of Commander Norton?
2. According to Chapter 4, what unusual action was taken so that Rama could intercept Rama?
3. What are some of the problems involving having simps on board?
4. According to Chapter 5, what does the exploration party think of the design of Rama? How does this affect their EVA mission?
5. What was the most mysterious characteristic of the object known as 31/439?
6. What precautions are taken to ensure the exploration party will be safe on Rama?
7. What do believers in the Pandora movement believe in?
8. What precautions are taken to ensure the safety of the exploration crew? Why is it unnecessary to supply breathing gear on Rama?
9. What was the initial response to the catastrophic destruction of 2077?
10. Describe what Commander Norton saw and felt when he entered Rama while tethered to a safety line.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)