|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 36, who is on watch, sometimes for twelve hours at a time and, therefore, knows more about the geography of Rama than anyone?
(a) Pieter Rousseau.
(b) Jerry Kirchoff.
(c) Jimmy Pak.
(d) Ruby Barnes.
2. What is the justification the Ambassador from Mercury gives for dispatching a high-energy nuclear device to Rama?
(a) A space treaty entitles Mercury to protect their solar space.
(b) Hermians have the most military training.
(c) A space treaty entitles Mercury to act unilaterally.
(d) Hermians are more intelligent and know best.
3. Who asks the Commander to send a priority message to the earth?
(a) Dr. Taylor.
(b) Laura Ernst.
(c) Dr. Petera.
(d) Boris Rodrigo.
4. What happens as Jimmy backs away through the framework?
(a) The snake is crawling back into its hole.
(b) The plant is retreating into the ground.
(c) The feathers melt like snow.
(d) The opening in the framework is closing.
5. What scenery does Jimmy encounter as he walks?
(a) A path covered with woven wire.
(b) Many giant squares containing materials of differing textures.
(c) A completely flat surface with no scenery.
(d) A field that looks like a gigantic game of checkers.
6. Who seems to be the most concerned that Rama's secret mission is to dominate the solar system?
(a) The Ambassador from Mars
(b) The Ambassador from Earth.
(c) The Exobiologist.
(d) The Chairman of the Rama Committee
7. If the Hermian bomb is detonated, what creates the biggest problem for the survival of the Endeavour?
(a) The gamma-ray flash.
(c) Space wind.
(d) The fragments of Rama.
8. What instruction is given to Jimmy regarding his entry into the water?
(a) Close your eyes.
(b) Curl up into a ball.
(c) Exhale to get all the air out of your lungs.
(d) Stiffen your body, feet locked together.
9. What is the "striking parallel" between Rama and terrestrial zoology, according to the Ambassador from Mars?
(a) A desert.
(b) A termite colony.
(c) A coral reef.
(d) A beehive.
10. Who is certified to navigate the Cylindrical Sea?
(b) Ruby and Boris.
(c) Boris and Jimmy.
11. What word can be used to describe the spider-like creature that the explorers encounter while watching the evening news?
12. What is the seating order of the delegates from the United Planets?
(a) Informally, according to arrival and personal choice.
(b) In order by their population density.
(c) In order by distance from the Sun.
13. When the explorers cross the Cylindrical Sea, where do they go first?
(b) New York.
(d) The North Pole.
14. Why is the color of the Cylindrical Sea different?
(a) A reflection from the buildings changes the color.
(b) The intensity of the artificial light changes the color.
(c) Lack of oxygen in the water smothered the organic compounds in the water.
(d) The organic soup has evolved into life.
15. Who wants to examine the spider-like creature?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 35, how many times in the past has the Commander received a Triple-A priority message?
2. Mercer suggests that New York is intended to make what?
3. Who has a novel idea about how to reach the southern continent?
4. What does Jimmy grab off of the back of the crab-like creature?
5. Where is Jimmy trying to land the Dragonfly in order to assure his survival?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)