|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "striking parallel" between Rama and terrestrial zoology, according to the Ambassador from Mars?
(a) A coral reef.
(b) A termite colony.
(c) A beehive.
(d) A desert.
2. What do the scavenger biots break down overnight, much to the dismay of Ruby Barnes?
(a) The Resolution.
(b) The artificial suns.
(c) Debris that was stacked neatly on the outskirts of the camp.
(d) Most of the spider-like creatures.
3. What happens as Jimmy backs away through the framework?
(a) The snake is crawling back into its hole.
(b) The feathers melt like snow.
(c) The plant is retreating into the ground.
(d) The opening in the framework is closing.
4. Who is certified to navigate the Cylindrical Sea?
(b) Boris and Jimmy.
(d) Ruby and Boris.
5. In Chapter 26, what potential danger concerns Jimmy as he begins his adventure?
(a) Flying creatures.
6. Why is it impossible for Hermians born and bred on Mercury to go to Earth?
(a) Earth's gravity is twice as powerful than Mercury's.
(b) Because of the type of rain on Earth.
(c) Earth's gravity is three time more powerful than Mercury's.
(d) Because there is not enough solar energy on Earth.
7. What is strange about the large crab-like creature that JImmy sees after he crashes?
(a) The creature looks like it could be a hallucination.
(b) The creature moves very quickly.
(c) The creature is brightly colored.
(d) The creature does not notice him.
8. What happens at the sixth small spike?
(a) Audio transmissions to Hub Control is garbled.
(b) Jimmy starts counting and can't stop.
(c) Jimmy's homing beacon goes dead.
(d) Jimmy's eyesight becomes distorted.
9. Why had Commander Norton once fallen in love with a Hermian woman, but did not marry her?
(a) Hermians disapproved of marriage with anyone from outside the orbit of Venus.
(b) Commander Norton is only allowed two wives at a time.
(c) The girl broke Commander Norton's heart.
(d) People from Earth do not have automatic citizenship on Mercury.
10. What is the nickname of the big spike that Jimmy explores?
(a) The Spikemonster.
(b) Big Horn.
(d) Little Big Horn.
11. What is constructed from six empty storage drums held together by a light metal framework?
(a) The Cook.
(b) A raft.
(c) A pontoon boat.
(d) The Resolution.
12. What is the justification the Ambassador from Mercury gives for dispatching a high-energy nuclear device to Rama?
(a) A space treaty entitles Mercury to protect their solar space.
(b) Hermians are more intelligent and know best.
(c) Hermians have the most military training.
(d) A space treaty entitles Mercury to act unilaterally.
13. What is more disconcerting to Norton while in New York as compared to the plains of Rama?
(a) The wind.
(b) The smell.
(c) The height of the cliffs.
(d) The silence.
14. According to Chapter 25, under what conditions does Dragonfly handle the best?
(a) Cold temperatures.
(b) Lower altitudes.
(c) Higher altitudes.
(d) No wind.
15. What is thrown down the face of the cliff after midnight by Pieter Rousseau?
(a) A tube of toothpaste.
(b) A telescope.
(c) A scalpel to be used for dissection.
(d) A small can labeled, "concentrated orange juice."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a sticky-bomb?
2. What do the explorers hear as they reach the fourth level?
3. What location on Rama is known not to be infested with spider-like creatures?
4. In Chapter 17, what makes the sound that wakes the whole camp?
5. What happens to Jimmy's sky-bike?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)