|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the sixth small spike?
(a) Jimmy starts counting and can't stop.
(b) Audio transmissions to Hub Control is garbled.
(c) Jimmy's eyesight becomes distorted.
(d) Jimmy's homing beacon goes dead.
2. Why does Hub Control monitor Jimmy's altitude?
(a) To help Jimmy stay near the zero gravity of the axis.
(b) To help Jimmy stay visible to Hub Control.
(c) To help Jimmy avoid lightening.
(d) To help Jimmy stay above the storm clouds.
3. What is the nickname of the big spike that Jimmy explores?
(a) The Spikemonster.
(b) Little Big Horn.
(d) Big Horn.
4. What is the justification the Ambassador from Mercury gives for dispatching a high-energy nuclear device to Rama?
(a) Hermians are more intelligent and know best.
(b) Hermians have the most military training.
(c) A space treaty entitles Mercury to act unilaterally.
(d) A space treaty entitles Mercury to protect their solar space.
5. What scenery does Jimmy encounter as he walks?
(a) A completely flat surface with no scenery.
(b) Many giant squares containing materials of differing textures.
(c) A field that looks like a gigantic game of checkers.
(d) A path covered with woven wire.
6. What is more disconcerting to Norton while in New York as compared to the plains of Rama?
(a) The height of the cliffs.
(b) The silence.
(c) The wind.
(d) The smell.
7. According to the Ambassador from Mercury, what did everyone fail to consider about Rama?
(a) That Rama can be mined for raw materials.
(b) That there is oxygen on Rama.
(c) That Rama is really a comet.
(d) The possibility of nonbiological survival on Rama.
8. What does Jimmy do while circling New York?
(a) Look for signs of life.
(c) Record video.
(d) Try to understand the complexity of the panorama.
9. According to Chapter 36, who is on watch, sometimes for twelve hours at a time and, therefore, knows more about the geography of Rama than anyone?
(a) Ruby Barnes.
(b) Pieter Rousseau.
(c) Jimmy Pak.
(d) Jerry Kirchoff.
10. Dr. Ernst cautioned Jimmy Pak to avoid something while on the trip with Dragonfly. What?
(a) Avoid crashing.
(b) Avoid getting a sunburn.
(c) Avoid overexertion.
(d) Avoid getting hungry.
11. Why were there many photographs taken of New York?
(a) To make a jigsaw puzzle.
(b) To prove the team visited New York.
(c) To look at the images for missed patterns.
(d) To use to construct an accurate scale model of the city.
12. How long does it take the disturbance in Chapter 17 to subside?
(a) One hour.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Fifteen minutes.
13. What catches Jimmy's eye amongst the trellis of wires and rods?
(a) A butterfly.
(b) A snake.
(c) A speck of color.
(d) A sheath of feathers.
14. Why does the statement, "Someone is walking over your grave," come to Jimmy's mind as he starts the return trip to the Hub?
(a) He knows he's as good as dead if he is too slow to return.
(b) He feels very serious.
(c) He has a curious feeling of foreboding.
(d) He senses that the Commander is displeased with him.
15. How many smaller spikes surround the immense central spike?
Short Answer Questions
1. On the ascent back to the Endeavour, who is the last to leave the plain on Rama?
2. Why had Commander Norton once fallen in love with a Hermian woman, but did not marry her?
3. Who wants to examine the spider-like creature?
4. What is the "striking parallel" between Rama and terrestrial zoology, according to the Ambassador from Mars?
5. Where do the pieces of Jimmy's sky-bike end up?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)